View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 01:45 AM   #8
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas for the unmotivated child

He loves being read to (even no picture novels). He loves playing outside and nature. We only have a little grass with a playset but it's been a huge blessing (last apt had a concrete roof as their only play space). It is very artificial seeming though. We rarely see birds other than pigeons. There is surprisingly little bug variety and of course wall lizards. We have potted plants and watering them is his job though this is done with many complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
So what happens when he throws a fit? I've never let that stop me from a school activity (or other required task). I view it similarly to a child throwing a fit about cleaning up their toys, or helping in the kitchen. We parent through it, help them calm down, and then re-engage the task. The requirement doesn't change just bc they're not excited about it. So many times, especially with something that's new, there's been a fit at the beginning but at the end the child announces they are proud of what they accomplished or actually liked it. I view school as a discipline like learning a sport or other activity - the joy comes through accomplishment and progress, and not all of it is fun at the time but in the end the hard work bears good fruit. I've seen my kids encourage their younger siblings that they can also persevere and do it.
The battles start whenever I try to get him to do something that requires using fine motor skills, or the math toys or a reader. He hates drawing, coloring, painting, play doh, anything involving using a pencil, even solving mazes which he enjoys looking at. He has done about 1/2 of the first Handwriting with a Purpose book, most of the first Miquon math book (he likes this one but hates the Cuisineire rods) and can read the first two boxes of Bob books but this was all done with screaming and tears. He tolerates making cards for people but if I make him write anything other than his name inside there is yelling and crying. We tried keeping a journal with drawings and captions but this led to the most intense battles and then the journal magically disappeared. He has no sense of accomplishment. When he finally gives in, stops the yelling and does the teeny bit of work I ask him to do he usually finishes with something like "There. I did it and I'm NEVER doing it EVER again and you can't make me!!!!"

So I'm really frustrated. If we were in the states he would be going to public school next year. I am THAT fed up. But I'm out here with no other educational options.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04513 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,967KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo