View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #13
ThirstyTurtle
Rose Garden

ThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond reputeThirstyTurtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think there should be a lice sticky.

I got rid of them when we had them within 2 weeks with no new outbreaks by constantly saturating our hair in oil (olive oil and coconut oil ... sometimes one and sometimes the other) and nit combing everyone about 3 times per day. We put oil in our hair at bed, nit combed, went to bed, nit combed when woke up, washed hair, nit combed again, oiled hair, nit combed at bed, put more oil in our hair before bed, repeat. Doing it every day was over the top, but I think based on their life cycles you want to do this every 3 days for 2 weeks.

We washed with tea tree shampoo and I did straight vinegar rinses on my hair and 50/50 vinegar/water on the kids' hair. Some things I read said that vinegar could kill nits and some say it didn't, but apparently vinegar does loosen the nit glue. I think I changed/washed the bedding every day for the first week (the washer broke at the beginning so we may have only done that once in the first 3 days, but I think I was changing it everyday because we had 3 changes of sheets for each bed). I put the pillows in trashbags and then put the vacuum hose in there to suck any lice out ... the bag and pillow should shrivel up if you are doing it correctly. I sprayed the beds and furniture with a mixture of vodka and tree tea oil, but it was also supposed to have cinnamon bark oil (? I think that was it) but I didn't use that because I was pregnant and also didn't have it on hand. I don't remember where I found the recipe for the spray, but it's supposed to be effective. I also spent $90 on a steamer to steam the mattresses, because I was wanting to cover every option since I was pregnant and had a 2 year old and 1 year old and didn't want to resort to pesticides.

I know I was obsessive with doing everything, but it did work. The main thing is to keep on top of nit combing and make sure you buy a metal comb.

DS1-12/2006
DS2-04/2008
DS3-12/2009

You cannot be too gentle, too kind. Shun even to appear harsh in your treatment of each other. Joy, radiant joy, streams from the face of him who gives and kindles joy in the heart of him who receives. All condemnation is from the devil. Never condemn each other. ... Keep silent, refrain from judgment. This will raise you above the deadly arrows of slander, insult and outrage and will shield your glowing hearts against all evil.
ThirstyTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.04527 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,955KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo