View Single Post
Old 09-28-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
domesticzookeeper
Rose Garden

domesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond reputedomesticzookeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Kitten - help with discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
1. I don't want her to sleep on our bed at night but she cries and cries outside of the door. (And sleeping with the door shut creates a weird ac/heat discrepancy in the house).
It's so hard to hear that sad little cry But ITU and agree: she doesn't need to sleep with you (and given overall kitten rambunctiousness, I doubt she'd sleep the whole time anyway, and I really doubt that you'd want that).

Does she have her own bed, preferably somewhere elevated? Does she have toys around so she can self-entertain? She will cry because you're her people - her main source of food, cuddles, and play - but she will be okay to just chill for the evening on her own. Eventually she will come to understand the routine, but if the crying persists, I would possibly consider some white noise.

Quote:
2. How do I keep her off of things I don't want her to be on - certain tables, counters, our bed, climbing the curtains, etc.
She needs an alternative Are you able to have a cat tree? Or maybe put some simple shelves onto the wall that are "all hers"?

Cats are predatory animals, but they're small enough that they're also prey for larger predators, and they generally do not feel secure or safe if they cannot get to a high place at a moment's notice. Choose your boundaries and feel solid in them (our kitchen counters are a strictly cat-free zone ) but she will want to climb on things, so providing her with options will be less stressful for both of you.

At that age, I would redirect from the counter or cabinets to the cat tree if she wanted to climb (like, just pick her up and put her on the cat tree or whatever is allowed for her) so that she understands climbing is still okay in designated spots.

Quote:
3. She loves to bite on our fingers and act like she is attacking us. That is a huge trigger for me, I admit, as I was attacked out of the blue by a previous cat and it scared me to death. I just don't want her to bite on us period.
It's so, so hard when they're little, but I agree: no biting EVER. Biggest help here will be reading her body language to see when she's verging on a bite (or verging on being just a little overstimulated) and stop playing immediately. If she is persistent, gently but firmly move her away (eg, put her on the floor if she's been on your lap or the couch).

This is such an important skill for kittens to know that if they are feeling overwhelmed, walking away is always an option. They won't be chased or tackled (things other cats do ) and their boundaries for cooling down will be respected. You will have a rock solid older cat if you can emphasize this at a young age

But also, if she's just feeling playful, have some stuffed toys on hand where she can get out those big-predator-in-a-tiny-body feelings. Scratching and biting people? That's a no-no. Scratching, biting, and wrestling a toy? Go for it!

Quote:
Right now I've used a mixture of distraction or re-direction, firmly saying no and removing her, lightly spraying her with water (which feels bad to me but seems to be the most effective), and blocking some areas off I just don't want her in.
Full disclosure: I have never raised a human But I have raised a lot of cats (who are all model citizens now, if I do say so myself ) and I think a lot of your instincts will help you here. Repetition is key. SO. MUCH. REPETITION. Firm and consistent, rinse and repeat. What you're doing already sounds great! Set her up for success by giving her an outlet for natural behaviors (a post for scratching, toys for chasing, other toys for wrestling, places to climb) and trust that one day all of your boundaries will become clear to her

To be honest, I don't even consider a cat an "adult" until at least 4 years old. 3 years at the barest minimum. The completely bonkers kitten phase will fade more quickly, but the boundary-testing and mischief-making is a surprisingly long phase At least they make up for it with the best cuddles

---------- Post added at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Also, this isn't really a "discipline" issue so much as an issue of habit, but now is great time to get her used to the less-pleasant things in life: touching her feet. Clipping her nails (with much praise and treats!). Climbing into the cat carrier. Going on short drives in the cat carrier.

Kittens are less intensive and a lot more independent than puppies are, but IMO they can still really benefit from intentional socialization and exposure to new experiences The more that she can see and understand that things like nail clipping or car rides are not terrifying and awful, but totally fine and normal, the less she'll need to be wrestled into doing those things when she's much, much bigger
arelyn (10-21-2020), Beth1231 (10-20-2020), CelticJourney (09-28-2020), charla (09-28-2020), Dovenoir (09-28-2020), everybody's mother (10-09-2020), graciousmomma (09-28-2020), kiloyd (09-28-2020), Llee (09-28-2020), Maedchen (09-30-2020), MrsHutch (10-01-2020), Singingmom (09-28-2020), Sparrow (09-29-2020), twoplustwo (09-28-2020)

X vBulletin 3.8.3 Debug Information
  • Page Generation 0.05584 seconds
  • Memory Usage 7,019KB
  • Queries Executed 14 (?)
More Information
Template Usage:
  • (1)SHOWTHREAD_SHOWPOST
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_header_end
  • (1)ad_header_logo
  • (1)ad_navbar_below