View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #26
tigerlily
Rose Garden

tigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond reputetigerlily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A radical idea - viewing kids as babies till 5

It reminded me of something else from Crystal's Biblical Parenting. She talks about toddlers/preschoolers being in an in-between stage of needing to have all needs met (infancy), and a teaching stage.

When a preschooler (or even early elementary age child) is having a good day, then we lean more to the teaching side with letting them experience some appropriate natural consequences. Conversely, if the child is having a "bad" or difficult day, you would lean more toward the infancy model of meeting most of their needs (babying them in an age-appropriate way ).

I know this thinking has helped me to show grace to my preschooler many times I otherwise would have grown frustrated and/or punitive.

‎"Don't they teach recreational maths anymore?"
~The Doctor
tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigerlily For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (08-12-2012), jmom1984 (01-12-2012)