Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #16
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OH my I think we might become unschoolers

just a wee update..
Were slowing getting into things.
She wants to finish her LA course she was doing through Acellus as she more than half done probably like 3/4 however we have decided to wait till next semester to finish it. Thats fine I can save on her tution till then.

She is putting together some stuff to go towards a chemistry credit. so far its a combo of some you tube and online videos

https://www.brainpickings.org/2011/1...e-history-bbc/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...6fYEaX9mQQ8oGr
http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectur...dern-alchemist

some stuff through Khan Academy and some hands on labs..

She is also starting unit study on Jane Austin.. My mothers favorite author and former English Teacher. My daughters going to combine some Audio books, Manga based Jane Austin and actual novels and then do some of the movie based versions of these as well as some based on books movies with my mom during the summer. They can discuss and such together.. I'm adding a requirement for at least one book report (she trys to avoid all writing but needs to do some)

Trying to encourage her to start doing some Khan academy for math but she still resists. I'm thinking of having her help her sister master her times and division tables. I think even Cecilia could use some help in these but by having her be the teacher I think she could improve her skills.. Were getting a few math based games like Mobi as well.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #17
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

that sounds awesome

Does she enjoy creative writing ? It’s NaNoWriMo time (November is National novel writing month- abbreviation NaNoWriMo) my girls do it every year and my dd1 credits NaNoWriMo w her writing skills. She’s an excellent self made writer (took one IEW class otherwise unschooled). She’s acing college writing w very little effort.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #18
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Sje might find it helpful if you allow her to do the book report on a printed out book report form that asks specific questions?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (11-12-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #19
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
that sounds awesome

Does she enjoy creative writing ? It’s NaNoWriMo time (November is National novel writing month- abbreviation NaNoWriMo) my girls do it every year and my dd1 credits NaNoWriMo w her writing skills. She’s an excellent self made writer (took one IEW class otherwise unschooled). She’s acing college writing w very little effort.
not at all. Getting her to do any writing is a huge struggle.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Sje might find it helpful if you allow her to do the book report on a printed out book report form that asks specific questions?
That is a good idea Do you have any resources?.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #20
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I like this one https://www.google.com/search?q=book...U4Fe_1hidq1jM:

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 06:06 PM   #21
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

I love the sound of your Jane Austen unit!

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
mamacat (11-08-2018), milkmommy (11-07-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #22
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Would she maybe be open to doing authentic writing-- like writing book reviews on a blog and publishing them, and you could share the link with family and friends so she has a "real audience," so to speak?
Is she open to writing poetry? There are some neat poetry templates she could use to summarize every chapter she reads.
I have tons of ideas about writing-- it's hard when students don't like to do it, but it's also the one skill that almost everyone in the real world needs in some capacity at some point in their lives
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
milkmommy (11-12-2018), Singingmom (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #23
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Would she maybe be open to doing authentic writing-- like writing book reviews on a blog and publishing them, and you could share the link with family and friends so she has a "real audience," so to speak?
Is she open to writing poetry? There are some neat poetry templates she could use to summarize every chapter she reads.
I have tons of ideas about writing-- it's hard when students don't like to do it, but it's also the one skill that almost everyone in the real world needs in some capacity at some point in their lives
I don't know but I'll put it out to her.
everybody's mother (11-22-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #24
mamacat
Rose Garden

Once she does get some kind of employment dont forget to use it as credit of some kind for her transcript

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (11-22-2018), milkmommy (11-14-2018), Singingmom (11-15-2018)