Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Rugayatu
Climbing Rose

Rugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cradle cap in 4 1/2 yo

DD has had cradle cap her whole life. Every now and then I rub oil on it and scrub/pick it all off, but she hates it so we don't do it that often. Plus, it always comes back so it feels pretty pointless.

Are there things I can do to keep it away? DH thinks I need to wash her hair with shampoo more often (I usually just use water, rarely use soap on her head or body, just when she's really dirty) but I don't think that would make much difference.

Diet changes? I can't imagine it's normal for an almost 5yo to still have cradle cap, so there must be something going on in her body.
mama to sweet and spunky DD ~ 9/2/09
squishy and serene DS ~ 1/12/14
and my angel baby ~ 1/8/2008

"The work we do is only our love for Jesus in action."
~Mother Theresa
Rugayatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cradle cap in 4 1/2 yo

It's fungal, so low sugar and adding probiotics should help. It will get worse before better as the body gets rid of it from the inside out. My ds had it til he was 6.5 and we removed all sugar from his diet.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (06-26-2014), HuggaBuggaMommy (06-26-2014), Rugayatu (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Rivendell Raven
Rose Bouquet

Rivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, just realized this was in the nturals thread and my response wasnt. Edited for that reason.

Last edited by Rivendell Raven; 06-26-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: inadvertently posted unhelpful material, sorry!
Rivendell Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my 8yr old has dealt with this pretty much his whole life. We do coconut oil and are starting a probiotic
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #5
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

It is perfectly fine to suggest less natural approaches. your post was fine rivendell raven.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Rivendell Raven (06-26-2014), Rugayatu (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

you can use a dandruff shampoo (carefully!!) or also add a bit of tea tree oil to the shampoo you use. that will keep it manageable for now

but going low sugar and adding probiotics will help heal it long term.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

SillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I had no idea it was fungal! I thought it was dairy-related

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
and Mommy to R1 (12) T3, R2 (8.6) T4, R3 (6.9) T1 and R4 (13m)
PaperbackSwap | Goodreads

SillyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SillyMommy For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this - my dd has also had it forever, and nothing has helped.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #9
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Going gluten free got rid of Gabriel's...

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LilacPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-26-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Rugayatu
Climbing Rose

Rugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond reputeRugayatu has a reputation beyond repute

Rivendell Raven now I'm really curious to see what your suggestion was! It's fine to suggest less-natural approaches, I just wasn't really sure where to post this.

We got most of it off today with coconut oil and a fine-tooth comb. She is on a probiotic but has been taking it somewhat sporadically lately (post partum mama, etc...) so I will definitely be more on top of that.

And yeah. We don't eat much sugar (no white sugar at all home, we use honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar and she occasionally has treats at a church potluck or something). I've been wanting to do a diet adjustment with her since she also has some little bumps on her chest that she's had for at least 2 years. They don't itch, they don't change, they're just *there.* I'm guessing gluten or dairy since I am sensitive to both. But cutting either of those out of her diet is hard (even though I don't eat either one) b/c DH feeds her a lot and is not super supportive of diet changes.... I'll have to work on him.

I'll also try adding a bit of tea tree oil when I shampoo her hair (less than once/week usually).

Thanks mamas! Anyone else feel free to chime in!
mama to sweet and spunky DD ~ 9/2/09
squishy and serene DS ~ 1/12/14
and my angel baby ~ 1/8/2008

"The work we do is only our love for Jesus in action."
~Mother Theresa
Rugayatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be psoriasis? I have had patches of that on my scalp. Using a dandruff shampoo has helped, especially the coal tar kind. It stinks something awful. But I use it, and then use another shampoo after so my hair doesn't smell like hot tar.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-27-2014)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
Rivendell Raven
Rose Bouquet

Rivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to beholdRivendell Raven is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugayatu View Post
Rivendell Raven now I'm really curious to see what your suggestion was! It's fine to suggest less-natural approaches, I just wasn't really sure where to post this.
Dandruff shampoo. Pyrithione zinc (head and shoulders) for a mild case and a tar based dandruff shampoo for a tougher case. If either don't work then it may be yeast based dermatitis and a trip to the pediatrician may be needed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rivendell Raven For This Useful Post:
blessedwithboys (06-27-2014), Rugayatu (06-27-2014), sweetpeasmommy (06-26-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #13
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
Could it be psoriasis? I have had patches of that on my scalp. Using a dandruff shampoo has helped, especially the coal tar kind. It stinks something awful. But I use it, and then use another shampoo after so my hair doesn't smell like hot tar.
I wanted to ask this too. If it is psoriasis, it could be dietary related. Going GF got rid of mine until my massive glutening. It went away. I forgot to take shampoo with me to the hair dresser's a few yrs ago and *wham* I got hives on my head, dermatitis herpetiformis outbreak on my head, and for good measure... psoriasis came back like nothing before.

I've been using (and alternating with Johnson and Johnson's baby shampoo between) shampoos with Salicylic acid and Coal tar. I also noticed the natural shampoo our pharmacist recommended when I had lice () 6 1/2 yrs ago had witchhazel and all kinds of interesting things in it. It's by the brand Rausch in Switzerland. (RAUSCH Weidenrinden Spezial Shampoo)
That worked. So does occasional use of the nit comb I kept to get big patches that are visible and making sure i'm getting all the vitamins and minerals I should. Stress makes me break out something awful. Oh it is so bad right around my head (not in, but on the edges where my hair stops) I keep throwing good food in there at it and taking b12 and making sure I'm eating as well as I can, but yuck. stress. I need to get more sunlight. Problem is, energy to do so.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #14
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivendell Raven View Post
Dandruff shampoo. Pyrithione zinc (head and shoulders) for a mild case and a tar based dandruff shampoo for a tougher case. If either don't work then it may be yeast based dermatitis and a trip to the pediatrician may be needed.
at least a few washes with Selsun Blue or similar, and then she probably needs shampoo regularly. My mother tried to be more crunchy and did not wash our hair with shampoo much at all. I had cradle cap to the point that it was painful (it would thicken, then I'd peel/pick it off and and it would be raw underneath) until I was 8-9 and started scrubbing my own head with shampoo. Regular shampoo has always worked once the initial problem was taken care of with dandruff shampoo. I don't have any underlying health issue- I just needed soap.

If shampoo ingredients concern you, more natural shampoos should be fine after the first few washes with the dandruff shampoos.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blessedwithboys For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (06-27-2014), Rugayatu (06-27-2014)
Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 AM   #15
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not knocking the idea of dandruff shampoo .. We tried that and it made my son's scalp fire red... it we just too harsh. So then after that experience we got a rx from the dr for ketoconazole which was milder. It slowly dries it out but it just kept coming back. So we're back to coconut oil, tea tree and now looking into diet and probiotics.
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
Rugayatu (06-27-2014)