Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #1
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Curtains to reduce heat

We live in a three level house. The top floor is getting so hot. We have good curtains in the bedrooms that help when we keep them closed... but I have one window (long and thin, doesn't open) in the hall that is undoing all the good.

I want to make my own curtains on a budget. In order to reduce the heat from the sun, do the curtains have to be thick or dark or both?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curtains to reduce heat

I don't know if this will be any help, but I bought blackout curtains and they made it worse so I returned them.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #3
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

IME thickness does more than just color. We have tried lots of types, thick and dark-ish (doesn't have to be super dark, just not light) have been the best at blocking heat.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute

I have thermal blackout curtains in the bedrooms that seem to work except for the heat pouring in from the hall, its like the tropics in the hall.

If thickness is key, maybe I should find some secondhand and alter them. I don't really care what they look like just can't stand the heat.

Old 04-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

do you have a/c?
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
do you have a/c?
No. I'm in the UK, its not common here.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #7
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaySunflowers View Post
We live in a three level house. The top floor is getting so hot. We have good curtains in the bedrooms that help when we keep them closed... but I have one window (long and thin, doesn't open) in the hall that is undoing all the good.

I want to make my own curtains on a budget. In order to reduce the heat from the sun, do the curtains have to be thick or dark or both?

Do you need to be able to open them? Because aluminum foil works a treat.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #8
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No. I'm in the UK, its not common here.

Ah! Ours worked much better after being serviced. Service was cheap. Wish we'd done it 4 summers ago instead of last summer!

We find blackout curtains work great.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Do you need to be able to open them? Because aluminum foil works a treat.

My husband will have a fit if he can't get his sun. Lol. I just want to close them when he isn't hone which is when the sun hits that side.

The Following User Says Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Kiara.I (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

How about making a Roman Shade that is either this enough to keep the light out or with aluminum in it to black out and then your husband can raise it when he comes home?
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #11
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My husband will have a fit if he can't get his sun. Lol. I just want to close them when he isn't hone which is when the sun hits that side.

Could you cut cardboard to fit and coat it in foil? Then you could put it on and take it out as needed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-22-2018), Lady Grey (04-22-2018), MaySunflowers (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

My grandma is too old to sew anymore but used to have a business making drapes that were lined in a thin metallic fabric with batting. Sort of like giant potholders or heat-reflective cat beds.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
MaySunflowers (04-23-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMarch View Post
My grandma is too old to sew anymore but used to have a business making drapes that were lined in a thin metallic fabric with batting. Sort of like giant potholders or heat-reflective cat beds.
Yes, i think you need something to reflect the sun.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 AM   #14
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
Could you cut cardboard to fit and coat it in foil? Then you could put it on and take it out as needed.

Oh! That's a good idea for while I am figuring out a curtain, then I can hide it when not needed.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #15
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

Walked into the first secondhand shop today and bingo found the perfect curtains, thick, lined, already adjusted to the right width, close enough in length and even already had curtain hooks in them! Haha.

I was going to make a curtain tie but they seem to stay to the side by themselves when not needed. I didn't put them in the last hole that would drape the across better so my husband can't say I created a dark cave. Lol
They look better than the photos, much richer color... a bit old lady but its only the hall most people don't see.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (04-28-2018), marbles (04-28-2018), MegMarch (04-28-2018), squiddles (04-29-2018)