Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #286
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

For on the go, make a big batch of something paleo and freeze it (I did this with pancakes) and we brought those along. Olives in a container are good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMama View Post
I went to Trader Joes and Whole Foods today to so I could find out what foods I would be buying from there. Trader Joes has grass-fed beef . I asked a worker there what is the difference between vegetarian and grass-fed beef. He said vegetarian means they were fed corn, so I'll be staying away from that. I'm not sure what I should look for with chicken or turkey. I'm also a little confused about eggs. Should I do organic, cage-free, vegetarian? What do chickens actually eat?

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

While we were eating dinner DH said we should buy chickens.
He probably shouldn't have said that

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

We totally have enough space for chickens
Here is what I buy meat-wise:

1. Beef - only grass-fed organic at the store. If I can find myself a good local meat supplier my highest priority is only grass-fed with ZERO grains b/c of the omega 6-3 ratio issues.

2. Chicken - organic chicken 80% of the time, I will get leaner non-organic chicken at trader joe's sometimes. I absolutely refuse to by Tyson :shudder no matter what.

3. Eggs - organic, Omega-3, free range/cage free. The dozen that costs $3.99/dozen at trader joe's with the green label on top. I'd love to find a local supplier of this too. I don't like that they're still grain fed . But it's a step above what conventional eggs are like so it's what we do for now.

4. Other meat - I'd like to find other meat too!
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
LearningMama (05-16-2012), simplegirl (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #287
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Feeling sad and conflicted. My 3 YO has a soy allergy But otherwise no food reactions but I'm restricting her on lots of other foods trying to do a GAPS diet. She absolutely hates eggs, cheese unless it's melted on something, most meat, and is completely burned out on nuts and won't eat those any more either. She is hungry and unhappy, she cries at every meal, constantly says she's hungry even in the middle of the night. of the things I am offering she will eat only fruit and vegetables, she will also eat plain butter and plain coconut oil sometimes. Yesterday I was just at my wits end and I got a load of Udi's bread and she inhaled three peanut butter sandwiches and is playing happily for the first time in days.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #288
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #289
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Angela. That must be hard.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #290
Damselfly
Deactivated

Formerly Jadeswan ;)

Damselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond reputeDamselfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Feeling sad and conflicted. My 3 YO has a soy allergy But otherwise no food reactions but I'm restricting her on lots of other foods trying to do a GAPS diet. She absolutely hates eggs, cheese unless it's melted on something, most meat, and is completely burned out on nuts and won't eat those any more either. She is hungry and unhappy, she cries at every meal, constantly says she's hungry even in the middle of the night. of the things I am offering she will eat only fruit and vegetables, she will also eat plain butter and plain coconut oil sometimes. Yesterday I was just at my wits end and I got a load of Udi's bread and she inhaled three peanut butter sandwiches and is playing happily for the first time in days.
Damselfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #291
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions, though? My DS isn't quite as bad as Angela's, but he's constantly asking for spaghetti, noodles, crackers, toast...it's kind of scary how often he asks for those things. He's easily redirected to fruit or vegetables and eats a little bit at supper times...but this morning my DH gave him toast for breakfast and he ate two pieces.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #292
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

I am not as hardcore no-grain with my kids as I am with myself - DS gets a sandwich with sprouted wheat bread each day if he wants, the kids can have cold cereal, etc... It's just not as regularly part of our meals. Note: They do not have known gluten issues.

Will he accept grain substitutes? I.e., if you made almond flour pancakes? I realize there are issues there too b/c of the phytic acid in nuts, but they are an option and likely no worse than grains IMO .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #293
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

DS2 is on the beige diet as DH calls it...everything he eats is an orange/yellow/brown/beige color, with the exception of beef hotdogs, ketchup, watermelon and strawberries...but I still feel like those red things are still close on the rainbow color wheel. All he craves, all he asks for. A huge reason we're doing an elimination as soon as DS1 gets out of school!
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #294
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaVA View Post
Oh man, that sounds hard. Does she eat homemade yogurt and/or take pbx? How long has she been refusing food? Does she have any emotional or developmental issues? What kind of soy allergy?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Stiina (05-18-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #295
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiina View Post
Any suggestions, though? My DS isn't quite as bad as Angela's, but he's constantly asking for spaghetti, noodles, crackers, toast...it's kind of scary how often he asks for those things. He's easily redirected to fruit or vegetables and eats a little bit at supper times...but this morning my DH gave him toast for breakfast and he ate two pieces.
How long has he been grain free? Any probiotics?

Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Stiina (05-18-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #296
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM View Post
Oh man, that sounds hard. Does she eat homemade yogurt and/or take pbx? How long has she been refusing food? Does she have any emotional or developmental issues? What kind of soy allergy?

She used to eat homemade yogurt she's just sick to death of it. She also drinks kefir and kombucha. She's not taking any probiotics right now I guess I could start her on them again, they never seemed to do anything except cost me money and time so I gave them up once I started making cultures and ferments. My kids get tired of things easily, but yet they like plain food. Just gradually over the last 4 weeks or so they've just been hating everything more and more. My 5 YO is a little more mature and flexible about it but my 3 YO just cries and won't eat. RE emotional/developmental issues she has dyspraxia and low tone. She is definitely a child who will let herself go hungry indefinitely rather than eat something unappealing. Her soy allergy started seriously with hives and trouble breathing, she doesn't have that reaction anymore but after the scary reactions when she was a baby we stay far away from it. I do wonder if maybe meat and eggs because of the soy in the feed make her feel yucky in some way and that's why she won't eat them. I try to get the best eggs and meat I can but with all the loopholes in the labeling I'm not always very confident about whether or not I'm getting something that's been fed soy.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #297
euromom
Rose Garden

euromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant futureeuromom has a brilliant future

mommy to my HBAC blessing dd- 01/10!

euromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #298
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you are doing the best you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-20-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #299
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

That's a yucky situation, Angela....it seems so crazy that an animal that was fed soy can have an affect on your darling. I wish I could bring you our beef! They only get green grass and sunshine

Lisa - great questions - thanks for your knowledge here. We've been gluten and mostly grain-free for 3.5 weeks. He eats a lot of yogurt but won't drink the buttermilk I made (even if I mix boiled/mashed/reduced blueberry juice in it). I bought 2 tiny, expensive jars of Bio-K (milk kefir) and he LOVED that, so now I'm making some kefir and hoping he'll drink it.

What's the brains behind it, though? That probiotics will heal the gut and reduce carby cravings?
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
AngelaVA (05-20-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #300
justbreathe
Deactivated

Grumpy kitten is watching you

justbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond reputejustbreathe has a reputation beyond repute

So, I've been reading this thread and many others and I'm totally sold on the *idea* of going grain and sugar free. But, when I seriously think about it, I start to feel nauseous and want to cry. I'm hopelessly addicted to sugar and baked goods. I gave up sugar for Lent and it was awful! And, it didn't do anything to stop my sugar cravings. And, grains? No more brown rice with fake butter? No more oatmeal? (<-- seriously helps me keep up my milk supply) No more quick and easy rice pasta meals??!?

I just don't know if I could do it. I would be miserable. I have no self-control with food.
justbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote