Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #16
LoveIsGentle
Rose Garden

LoveIsGentle has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kindle Paperwhite vs. Kindle Fire *New Question #13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007R5...ref=mp_s_a_1_4

If you watch the prices you can get it discounted from their warehouse deals section, and what else I like about having the official Amazon care is that if something goes wrong they'll replace it.
I have this kind too and like it a lot.
LoveIsGentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #17
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

I got a Kindle brand one from Amazon that was listed for about $30 but I waited and got a really good deal on it(like around $10). Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (mine is a regular Kindle, not a Paperwhite)

I got the kids covers on ebay for way cheaper. I think they are imposter kindle covers though...even though they say kindle on the front and look like the same design, they have cracked at the corners and broken. One of the sellers replaced it, but I'm tired of dealing with them and want to get the kids ones from Amazon...better customer service and probably a superior product(the one from Amazon hasn't broken yet).
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #18
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Pssst....Paperwhites are $20 off currently! http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady TS For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #19
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS View Post
Pssst....Paperwhites are $20 off currently! http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperwh...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
thanks! I just got my birthday money today, so I am going to purchase....but, are they doing this discount because they are about to come out when something new?
And, should I get the one without the special offers? Are they annoying or helpful?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 08-04-2014 at 06:19 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #20
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

I got my kids the cheap kindles with no special offers and my cheap one with the special offers. There tends to be some romance novel covers and such advertised but I am fine with dealing with that for myself. Its only on the screen when it's off(well, really in a sort of hibernation) and a little strip of an ad at the bottom of the home screen. They don't appear when u are reading or pop up like ads might if you are on a tablet/phone/iPod

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

And...looks like the deal was for one day-but keep watching, because they do these deals ever so often.

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

The Following User Says Thank You to Lady TS For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #21
SouthPaw
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

SouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond reputeSouthPaw has a reputation beyond repute

i would get it without them if i had a do-over. the home screen ones are annoying.
SouthPaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Paperwhite vs. Kindle Fire

Can I add a question? Does the Paperwhite have audio at all, or no?

As best as I can tell, we're going to need a Fire to do audiobooks, but I'd really prefer the Paperwhite screen! Anyone know whether there's a device that does both? (Nook? Ipad?)

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #23
Ellen
Deactivated

Ellen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly an iPad, and probably any tablet or smartphone, will do audiobooks, ebooks, video, anything you want. Do you have a smartphone already?

You could always use a Paperwhite for reading and switch to another device for listening. If you use Audible and Kindle they will stay synced with where you left off in your book.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #24
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Preferably, I want to be able to use both on the same device, and want the screen to be easier on the eyes. I'll go check out what the ipads say about their display. I don't have anything in that family of products, so I don't know how they compare to the Paperwhite. I do have a Kindle fire which a I love for the audio and apps, but the display gives me insomnia even on the dimmest setting.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #25
Ellen
Deactivated

Ellen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond reputeEllen has a reputation beyond repute

iPad is probably going to be no better on your eyes. You can dim the light some, but it's still backlit. I did hear of an android app that adjusts the colors to make it better for night viewing. Don't know if Apple has something like that--I should look into it, actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ellen For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-08-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 AM   #26
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

I have my Kindle app on my iPhone set to Sepia (not sure I spelled that right) which helps some.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-11-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #27
lenswyf
Rose Garden

lenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond reputelenswyf has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man! Now I want a paperwhite. I love my Kindle, but hate having to use a nightlight to read in bed.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM   #28
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenswyf View Post
Oh man! Now I want a paperwhite. I love my Kindle, but hate having to use a nightlight to read in bed.
Me too! We just went on a road trip, 24 hours of car time one way, and I ran out of light to read by and was using a little keychain light to read by, wishing I'd purchased a Paperwhite before the trip.

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity