Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone bought an ikea bed for their kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singingmom View Post
Do you really need nine foot ceilings to buy the loft beds? I've thought of sawing a foot off the legs if you do. They look like so much fun for a tween/teen room, and such space savers.
You don't need 9-foot ceilings iirc (at my Ikea they have a mark showing a typical 8 foot ceiling). I guess it depends on how close to the ceiling your kids want to sleep. Sawing off the bottom would probably work, though, if you're really good with a tape measure.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-04-2014), Singingmom (06-04-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
You don't need 9-foot ceilings iirc (at my Ikea they have a mark showing a typical 8 foot ceiling). I guess it depends on how close to the ceiling your kids want to sleep. Sawing off the bottom would probably work, though, if you're really good with a tape measure.
I'm sure I wouldn't be the one sawing. It would end up looking a bit too abstract.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
Psyche (06-04-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all

I'm thinking of buying some things from ikea..is everything made in China? I'm looking at the Kallax shelf..wondering about quality.
MamaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaSam For This Useful Post:
Psyche (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSam View Post
I'm thinking of buying some things from ikea..is everything made in China? I'm looking at the Kallax shelf..wondering about quality.
It's Ikea. They have some things that are higher-end, and many, many things that aren't. I don't think "made in China" has much to do with it, honestly, it's more "it's Ikea." It's pretty well-known that much of it is student furnishings. That's what they do, and they're VERY good at it.

So, Kallax is pressboard with laminate covering. We have the 2x4 one and it seems very sturdy. So far the kids haven't ruined it, which is a good sign.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (07-20-2014), Llee (07-22-2014), Psyche (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

DH and I have been discussing getting the Kura bunk bed for our boys since it's small, but idk how well it will hold up. Oh darn, I guess I need to plan a trip to IKEA to verify
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elspeth For This Useful Post:
Llee (07-22-2014), Psyche (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #21
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

Subbing...
Dh & I are looking to replace our heavy oak bed & dresser with something Ikea-- white/simple/streamlined . With under bed storage.

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2TMama For This Useful Post:
Psyche (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 10:23 AM   #22
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

They have their things made in a number of countries. Some are fiberboard, but others are solid wood. Their Hemnes line is wood.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (07-20-2014), Llee (07-22-2014), Psyche (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #23
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

MamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to allMamaSam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
It's Ikea. They have some things that are higher-end, and many, many things that aren't. I don't think "made in China" has much to do with it, honestly, it's more "it's Ikea." It's pretty well-known that much of it is student furnishings. That's what they do, and they're VERY good at it.

So, Kallax is pressboard with laminate covering. We have the 2x4 one and it seems very sturdy. So far the kids haven't ruined it, which is a good sign.
I was asking because I have never been to ikea and have never owned anything ikea. I also try not to buy made in China if I can help it.
Psyche (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #24
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I have some of their Hemnes, Pax, Expedit/Kallax and the bunk bed for kids as well as a few other things. The items were made all over the world and the quality of what we have is pretty top notch. The 9x9 Expedit shelf unit we got second hand is awesome as is the 6x2, the baskets, glassware, porcelain... I have friends that got some Hemnes and Expedit/Kallax items 3 moves ago (about 10-15 yrs) and it's still holding together even after being taken apart multiple times.

You'll have to go and look to see where the items come from, not always is it listed online. Also, IKEA is just breaking into the US/Canadian market. They're from Sweden and have a ginormous market in Europe, not just for students, literally everyone shops there for various things. I've seen IKEA items pop up in popular US, Canadian and UK Television shows, some movies and that is the one place I constantly bump into other Americans.

We couldn't afford high end wardrobes so I went looking into the PAX wardrobes and shopped second hand. The one we got has some dents but is otherwise OK and very stable. I got our Expedit/Pax units second hand. I got our Hemnes Dresser and TV sets first hand at the store and love them. I look forward to selling our wall unit that we got 3rd hand and get something else Hemnes to replace it so that our entire living room is dark wood furniture. Hemnes has made it so far 4 years, and the TV stand will need replacing before too long as the kids have slammed toys into it repeatedly, scratching and denting it horribly.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Quote:
IKEA has more than 1,350 suppliers in more than 50 countries. All products have the label “Design and Quality, IKEA of Sweden” and the country of origin. For more information please visit Facts & Figures.
If you go there (this was found on the Ikea US site) and poke around, they don't list which countries they source from, but they do explain all the different things they do to give back to the countries they work with, sustainability, etc.

Last edited by HadassahSukkot; 07-20-2014 at 12:45 PM.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
Llee (07-22-2014), MamaSam (07-20-2014), Psyche (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #25
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was asking because I have never been to ikea and have never owned anything ikea. I also try not to buy made in China if I can help it.
Oooh! New to Ikea! Their stores are fun I grew up with an Ikea nearby, so we've had a bunch of furniture from there at various times.

About 22% of Ikea's product is made in China (per their website.) I'm not sure if you can easily find out which products are made where.

If you're boycotting China for political or philosophical reasons, you can probalby contact Ikea and ask about the specific location of manufacture for the item you want. If it's for safety or quality reasons, I would think it has more to do with the company's oversight of their factories than the country the factory is in.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (07-21-2014), MamaSam (07-21-2014), Psyche (07-22-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #26
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

I called to place my order today,but they have to call me back because their computer wasn't recognizing my zip code as a deliverable address. Also,I have to find boxes/bins to go with Kallax because I can't order the ones they have online because the ones that were sent to the warehouse had some quality issues so they are in store only,atm...any ideas?l
Psyche (07-22-2014)
Old 07-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #27
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I called to place my order today,but they have to call me back because their computer wasn't recognizing my zip code as a deliverable address. Also,I have to find boxes/bins to go with Kallax because I can't order the ones they have online because the ones that were sent to the warehouse had some quality issues so they are in store only,atm...any ideas?l
When I looked up the Kallax shelving on Ikea's website, under coordinating products it listed bins/boxes called drona and tjena, both sold online.
Psyche (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #28
MamaSam
Rose Bouquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
When I looked up the Kallax shelving on Ikea's website, under coordinating products it listed bins/boxes called drona and tjena, both sold online.
I think it was changed late last night to in store only I think I'm going to look for a new shelf as well..I haven't heard back
Psyche (07-22-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #29
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it was changed late last night to in store only I think I'm going to look for a new shelf as well..I haven't heard back
I just added one of each of those to my cart on Ikea's website. So they are available online.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #30
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a king memory foam mattress from them last year. It is my favorite bed ever. I was a little scared it would be awful, but it has been wonderful. So comfortable and I will never go back to springs. on a trip recently dh and I shared spring beds again and I had forgotten how much he used to wake me up rolling over (some thing I mever got used to) -now I don't even know when he's getting out of bed unless he was holding me.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote