Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #46
called2bfree

Default Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
i didn't try tide free and clear because all free and clear didn't work. i have super hard water. i'll try sun i guess.
We love Rockin' Green and it was designed for hard water. Great for the stinkies, too!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 PM   #47
delightedmama
Climbing Rose

silly crafty messy peaceful-ish me

delightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cloth diapers and which laundry detergents to use/avoid - a wonderful chart!

Does anyone make their own detergent? I stuck to the list and all was well while Stateside, but I'm back in China and can't find a detergent that doesn't make the dipes repellent. Lots of leaks (that are more like spills, since it's not that the diaper's soaked, it's just not soaking it in!)

BTW I don't have any ingredients like borax or glycerin, and I don't know what washing soda is so I don't know whether I have it!! I do have bar soap, baking soda, and vinegar, though the BumGenius directions say not to use vinegar... I don't understand why, and I've written but not heard back.

empowering women out of poverty by selling their Fair Trade handcrafts with Trades of Hope!
delightedmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #48
mumsark8

This buy far is the best list I've seen.thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #49
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by delightedmama View Post
Does anyone make their own detergent? I stuck to the list and all was well while Stateside, but I'm back in China and can't find a detergent that doesn't make the dipes repellent. Lots of leaks (that are more like spills, since it's not that the diaper's soaked, it's just not soaking it in!)

BTW I don't have any ingredients like borax or glycerin, and I don't know what washing soda is so I don't know whether I have it!! I do have bar soap, baking soda, and vinegar, though the BumGenius directions say not to use vinegar... I don't understand why, and I've written but not heard back.
I know your post is pretty old, but I've been looking through the stickies this morning and saw your post and was wondering how things turned out. Did you make your own detergent or did you find a store-bought type that worked better than what you were using? And did you ever find out why the BumGenius directions said not to use vinegar?

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #50
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

my cloth diapering experience is to use detergents totally NOT reccomended by these charts and avoid the reccomended ones like the plague. The worst stink and rash I've had with Margaret was with RnG... I use dreft on her diapers now and love it.
I'd use a greener detergent if it worked but I've yet to find any..
Deanna
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #51
eoconnel
Rose Garden

eoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond reputeeoconnel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmommy View Post
my cloth diapering experience is to use detergents totally NOT reccomended by these charts and avoid the reccomended ones like the plague. The worst stink and rash I've had with Margaret was with RnG... I use dreft on her diapers now and love it.
I'd use a greener detergent if it worked but I've yet to find any..
Deanna
Same here.
Emma (2/16/04) my Goosie Colin (12/12/05) my Monkey Max (3/2/09) my Bird
Plexus Worldwide Ambassador
Ask me how you can get healthier, lose weight and earn money with Plexus Worldwide!
eoconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #52
delightedmama
Climbing Rose

delightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant futuredelightedmama has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermama View Post
I know your post is pretty old, but I've been looking through the stickies this morning and saw your post and was wondering how things turned out. Did you make your own detergent or did you find a store-bought type that worked better than what you were using? And did you ever find out why the BumGenius directions said not to use vinegar?
Ooo, thanks for checking in!

As far as what works, I found that soapnuts are commonly used in Chinese traditional medicine so I bought a half-kilo for less than even the cheapest detergents, and began washing in soapnut liquid. I have to use cold water most of the time but once a month I fill up buckets with hot water (boiled or from a different source) to do a hot-water wash, which seems to work to "strip" any build-up.

The BumGenius guys said that vinegar can mess up the elastic. I'm not sure how that'd be worse than a drier, which we don't use but they say is okay to do. But we haven't needed to try the vinegar anyway so it's alright!

empowering women out of poverty by selling their Fair Trade handcrafts with Trades of Hope!
The Following User Says Thank You to delightedmama For This Useful Post:
flowermama (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #53
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not sure how that'd be worse than a drier, which we don't use but they say is okay to do. But we haven't needed to try the vinegar anyway so it's alright!
a dryer is fine. I dryer dry all my diaper covers ect on hight heat and I have some that have been in my stash/possion since 2003 . You just dont want to pull at covers diapers elastic when hot allow them to cool. I've also made vinager a fairly regular part of our CD rountinue with out any issues.

Deanna
flowermama (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #54
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As far as what works, I found that soapnuts are commonly used in Chinese traditional medicine so I bought a half-kilo for less than even the cheapest detergents, and began washing in soapnut liquid. I have to use cold water most of the time but once a month I fill up buckets with hot water (boiled or from a different source) to do a hot-water wash, which seems to work to "strip" any build-up.
Oh, that's great to hear! Thank you so much for the update.

Quote:
The BumGenius guys said that vinegar can mess up the elastic. I'm not sure how that'd be worse than a drier, which we don't use but they say is okay to do. But we haven't needed to try the vinegar anyway so it's alright!
I hadn't heard that before. I'm so glad what you've been doing is working for you!!

Quote:
a dryer is fine. I dryer dry all my diaper covers ect on hight heat and I have some that have been in my stash/possion since 2003 . You just dont want to pull at covers diapers elastic when hot allow them to cool. I've also made vinager a fairly regular part of our CD rountinue with out any issues.Deanna
That's good to know! Since 2003, wow! Thanks, Deanna!

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #55
delightedmama
Climbing Rose

Quote:
You just dont want to pull at covers diapers elastic when hot allow them to cool. I've also made vinager a fairly regular part of our CD rountinue with out any issues.
Thanks for the info -- that's so good to know! Are these AIOs? I'd still like to do vinegar since I'm washing her other clothes with the diapers and it makes clothing softer, sometimes an issue since we line-dry.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #56
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Quote:
Thanks for the info -- that's so good to know! Are these AIOs? I'd still like to do vinegar since I'm washing her other clothes with the diapers and it makes clothing softer, sometimes an issue since we line-dry.
My current stash consists of 2/3 prefolds and various wraps and 1/3 pockets.. In the past I've had fitted AIOs pockets flats prefolds pretty much BTDT all.

Deanna
Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #57
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

Reviving an old thread....curious on more responses from people making laundry soap (ivory/washing soda/borax) & washing cloth dipes with it

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #58
2TMama
Rose Garden

Flawed & Forgiven. Rescued, Redeemed & Restored. Image Bearer, Grace Embracer, Joy Seeker & Hope Stirrer.

2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute2TMama has a reputation beyond repute

bump!!!

2TMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #59
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TMama View Post
Reviving an old thread....curious on more responses from people making laundry soap (ivory/washing soda/borax) & washing cloth dipes with it
When it was cost-effective for me to do it, I washed all my laundry including my cloth diapers with homemade laundry soap. It was 1c borax, 1c washing soda, and 1/2c oxyclean. It worked really, really well for a while, and then I switched because the cost of the ingredients became more than the cost of ECOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natuke View Post
I have been using ecos for both loundry and diapers. Now it looks like it's the wrong choice :/

what's wrong with it?

I mean even free and clear is marked with a red star :/
ECOS is marked 4 stars if it's the free & clear kind. I buy that one at Walmart for roughly $8. I have used the ECOS with coconut softener/lavender scent and honestly I haven't seen a huge difference except needing to strip the dipes more often, but I don't know if needing to strip them more often is due to the detergent or the fact that DD has toddler pee now as opposed to baby pee.

DD also had a terrible reaction to Charlie's Soap. It was like the diapers were burning her skin. I know it doesn't happen with every baby, just putting it out there.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elspeth For This Useful Post:
2TMama (03-03-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #60
mrskellyray
Seedling Rose

mrskellyray is on a distinguished road

I found arm and hammer works really well!
mrskellyray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrskellyray For This Useful Post:
bentlaj11 (10-19-2014)