Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 05-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Mandolin Gypsy
Deactivated

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Location: Where I don't owe a tax called 'pretty' for occupying the space marked 'female'.
Mandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Need more ideas regarding my 6yo. and 3yo....

Good morning....

We have four kids....1 girl and 3 boys...ages listed in my signature.

We homeschool, so for parts of the day my youngers are given time to entertain themselves. They seem to be struggling to do this lately, leading to bickering, trouble-making, etc. I have several things set up around the house for them to do in their free time like-----art, books, playdoh, toy area in it's own room, all kinds of materials with which to "make" things, tricycles on the deck (they spend a lot of time in the backyard), and so on.

It's like they're bored, and I'm out of ideas!!!

We do get out of the house several times per week, so it's not like we are here so much that we get tired of everything at home.

We don't watch much t.v. ( I secretly hope to go media-free eventually as far as t.v. I like movies better than t.v. for us b/c you have more control over the content).

If you have any ideas or just child-management tips that I may be missing, let me know....thank you very much!!!

Last edited by Mandolin Gypsy; 05-05-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Mandolin Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need more ideas regarding my 6yo. and 3yo....

If it helps, everyone gets bored with school this time of year, the routine is old etc. Aren't you getting ready for summer break?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Mandolin Gypsy
Deactivated

"The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep."

Location: Where I don't owe a tax called 'pretty' for occupying the space marked 'female'.
Mandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond reputeMandolin Gypsy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, Marsha....

Yes, we do go through the issue of getting tired of our routine.

We are on our first 5-week break from "school."

But.....now we have even MORE free time and this issue is WORSE!!

So, I feel like I have to "keep them busy"....????????

I personally don't believe in entertaining my children for the purpose of keeping them out of trouble.

Maybe I simply need to lay out more tangible consequences/rewards at this point to help them redirect their choices......
Mandolin Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

What chores do they have? Can they plant a garden? Make a lap book? Read through Little House on the Prairie and use popsicle sticks to construct a cabin from the books? I'm just thinking back to when I was that age and things I did. I spent a ton of time outside, roaming around. I also made little towns/paths in the dirt for my little cars.

Having a consequence/reward wouldn't have been much of a motivation to me when my days were soooooooooo long during the summer. Having my mom direct me on projects "Why don't you XYZ?" worked a lot better than saying "If you don't behave, you'll not be able to get ice cream."

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

My kids seem to get more bored when we have more toys/stuff out. When I empty the playroom and only have 1 or 2 things out, they occupy themselves longer. I don't get it. But maybe now is a good time [for me too ] to hide their current activities and bring out just a couple new things. (big cardboard box, paint w/ water books, magnets...just trying to think of things my 3 & 7yo like to do together) In a week or so, you can trade again.
E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle
cro is offline   Reply With Quote