Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 08-30-2012, 05:35 PM   #286
Shutterbug
Rose Bush

Shutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingWithElves View Post
as most things, DE has not been tested on pregnant women you should never do something you are not comfortable with during pregnancy.

I took DE during my last pregnancy with great results. for me it tends to be somewhat constipating (different people react differently), and so i had to be sure to manage that.
Thank you. I'll try to find a good naturopath or midwife who can help me further. I haven't taken it for two days since we just started really trying and I've already gotten my first headache.
Stiina (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #287
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

I get headaches too. I hope you feel comfortable with starting up again - and it gives me hope that maybe de will help mine, too.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #288
NayneeNoo
Rose Garden

NayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond repute

I just sat and read all 20 pages of this thread. I saw bags of it at the local health food store and contemplated getting some but wanted to read up on it first. The only thing I'm concerned about is the taste/texture. I think I'll get the smallest bag they have to start with just in case that bothers me. So, start with 1 tsp dissolved in water/shake/smoothie for 3 days and then upping it until you reach 2T, right? I'm hoping the kids won't notice it. Could I mix it in the Little's morning milk? They drink it in a sippy, so I can give it a good shake before giving it to them.
Connor, held for a short time (2-2-07)
Aubrey (6-30-09)
Luke (4-18-11)
Jackson (4-24-15)
Parker (4-24-15)
NayneeNoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #289
Shutterbug
Rose Bush

Shutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayneeNoo View Post
I just sat and read all 20 pages of this thread. I saw bags of it at the local health food store and contemplated getting some but wanted to read up on it first. The only thing I'm concerned about is the taste/texture. I think I'll get the smallest bag they have to start with just in case that bothers me. So, start with 1 tsp dissolved in water/shake/smoothie for 3 days and then upping it until you reach 2T, right? I'm hoping the kids won't notice it. Could I mix it in the Little's morning milk? They drink it in a sippy, so I can give it a good shake before giving it to them.
I take 1Tbsp and mix it with a small glass of water, then chug. It just tastes like dirty water to me. Not really any texture to me. Maybe a little gritty. Then I follow it with at least another glass of water. I doubt the kids will notice it in a smoothie.
NayneeNoo (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #290
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind it in juice at all. My kiddo with spd (who likely needs it most) won't take it any way I try.

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
NayneeNoo (09-11-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #291
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

it's a hit and miss. my spd kid loves it and i have to limit how much i let him have. my totally non-spd dd is not a fan, but can be coaxed. i love clay, but have to chug de bravely. it really depends on the person.
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Stiina (09-13-2012), Tandem mama (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #292
Tandem mama
Rose Garden

In my world everyone's a pony

Tandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond reputeTandem mama has a reputation beyond repute

I got her to take it in a shake!

Married since 2007 to my Apple-geeky artist Don (INTJ)
Mommy to Lydia (1/08) "Nature is really dirty"
Charlotte (7/10) "me am not chawlotte me are batman"
Introducing Nolan January 11, 2014

Tandem mama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tandem mama For This Useful Post:
Shutterbug (09-14-2012), Stiina (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #293
Stiina
Rose Garden

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #294
NayneeNoo
Rose Garden

NayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond reputeNayneeNoo has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some today! Half a lb for .69. I didn't want to buy a big bag until I knew I could stomach it.

Got home and made a glass of water, mixed in a teaspoon and stirred between every sip. I'm BIG on texture, so that's what I was most afraid of. I only got a little grit at the bottom of the cup. A straw helped me drink faster than I would normally. Bonus? The Littles saw me drinking and wanted sips. We shared the entire glass, alternating sips from the straw. Aubrey called it Mommy's special juice. Since both went for multiple sips, I'm going to assume it'll be safe to make them their own tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking of mixing it into their sippy cups in their milk. Would that be ok?
Connor, held for a short time (2-2-07)
Aubrey (6-30-09)
Luke (4-18-11)
Jackson (4-24-15)
Parker (4-24-15)
NayneeNoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NayneeNoo For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #295
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

i don't see why not. oh, actutally i take that back. i do too see why not. if you put sippy cups into the dishwasher, it will be a pain. for whatever reason that stuff is funny in the dishwasher and may stick to the inside of the little parts. so, either hand wash those, or just don't use sippy cups. other than that, no reason
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
NayneeNoo (09-14-2012), Stiina (09-14-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #296
Stiina
Rose Garden

Irene! Good experience talking, there
Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #297
StrangeTraveller
Deactivated

StrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond reputeStrangeTraveller has a reputation beyond repute

So, I have read through the whole thread twice and we started DE last night. Hubs and I chugged 2 tbsp plus some water. Moxi shared a bit with me, and the boys had theirs in smoothies this morning. So far I have noticed that I've got to go to the bathroom after I eat even a little bit. Iz hit the bathroom early, but it could just be coincidence. And I am SO, so thirsty. Is that part of it?
StrangeTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #298
marigold
Rose Trellis

marigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud ofmarigold has much to be proud of

just found this, subbing to come back later, I've only made it to pg 14
ds1 - June 2009
ds2 - April 2011
ds3 - October 2013
dd2 - November 2015
Image already added
marigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #299
hopeforchange
Deactivated

hopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond reputehopeforchange has a reputation beyond repute

I just read the whole thread. The boys and I have parasites...dd doesn't seem to, but I'm going to treat all of us and the dog. I'm hoping to convince Stbx to take it as well and treat his animals.

So I should start off with 1 tsp a day for all of us? And gradually increase it? What is my goal for each of us? How much should I give my dog? Should we continue it longer than 90 days or is 90 days enough?
hopeforchange is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for hopeforchange:
DancingWithElves (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #300
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

90 days should be good.
i suck at titrating up this whole start slow thing is totally lost on me the very first time i used it, i made a point of starting slower, but now i just start at whatever the amount the spirit moves me.

in fact, i find for me it's important to have a manageable and simple routine, so i simply dissolve about 2 tbsp in 3/4 cup water, and ds and i share that. some days i get more, some days he does.

90 days is an estimate of course. you can skip a day, it's not the end of the world. worms have no watches you can also take it 2-3 times a day (which is what i do when gall bladder acts up)

afaik, dogs prefer it mixed with their food. however, some crave it and will lick it off the floor, out of the bag in the pantry, from your cup if you leave it unattended

in the wild, animals find "muddy" creaks, ponds and puddles which have DE and clay deposits. they agitate the water and then drink it. this is particularly common for omnivores and herbivores. so, while western medicine associates pica (eating non-foods) with anemia, i believe it's a natural behavior, an instinct.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

"dissolve" is not the right word. it does not dissolve just mixes in.

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeTraveller View Post
So, I have read through the whole thread twice and we started DE last night. Hubs and I chugged 2 tbsp plus some water. Moxi shared a bit with me, and the boys had theirs in smoothies this morning. So far I have noticed that I've got to go to the bathroom after I eat even a little bit. Iz hit the bathroom early, but it could just be coincidence. And I am SO, so thirsty. Is that part of it?
thirst could well be part of it good luck!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
hopeforchange (11-07-2012), Llee (05-04-2013), StrangeTraveller (11-10-2012)