Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #46
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden Planning

Peas and spinach are popping up!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (05-20-2017), Llee (05-20-2017), RiverRock (05-20-2017), tempestjewel (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #47
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

Im late chiming in. My goal this year was to start my seeds early enough to avoid having to buy seedlings. And I did that. I think I started some of them TOO early because they died before I could transplant them. I started some March 1 and some March 15.

Surviving I have:
6 bush bean plants.
1 zucchini
4 kale
1 pumpkin
1 cilantro
2 tomatoes

Thats all I can remember right now. So out last frost date was April 15th. DH built me and amazing elevated bed. That way I can move it as needed- since we live in a rental. I'll try to post photos of it later. I'd hoped to get everything transplanted April 15th but...life.... So my seedlings are still sitting in the starter trays.

Im using the square-foot gardening method this year for the first time. This past week I purchased the compost, vermiculite and peat moss. Today DD and I mixed it up. DH has to repair something on my planting box but once that is done I will be able to get the "soil" mix into the bed and transplant!!! I will say, the mix for the soil was fairly expensive but part of the reason we went with this method is because we can use the same mix from year to year on a container and just throw in a little compost each year. In the past, Ive been using potting soil each season and have to dump it at the end of the season and that has really added up over the years but since I live in apartments, I have to grow in containers.

I also have two kiddie pools to do. Im not sure what Im going to plant in there yet.

I will say, I planted a bunch of seeds that I bought 2 or 3 seasons ago at costco- organic mix of some kind. And their germination rate was EXTREMELY high and I have been very very impressed with how hearty the seedlings are. I also purchased a ton of Burpees organic seeds and the germination rate on those was DISMAL. Like Im angry I paid for those seeds. Most plant varieties didnt even shoot up at all. Of like 6 varieties of stuff I planted with several seeds per plant variety I only got one single pumpkin seedling. I want to write to the company or return them to Home Depot or something. Maybe they will do better with dirrect sewing???

DD has been helping me with all of my gardening. Its really wonderful how involved she is. Last year she wanted me to plant purple pansies in the kiddie pool gardens. It was the only thing that grew. And, they returned this year! So yesterday we transplanted those that lived to the pot that DD painted for me for mothers day. I really really wanted to grow a bunch of sunflowers with DD but they shot up and died really quickly. I think They needed to be directly sewn. I hope its not too late in the season to start them.

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 05-20-2017 at 03:45 PM.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
charla (05-20-2017), tempestjewel (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #48
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of seeds didn't germinate? Some just have a lower rate no matter what.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
charla (05-20-2017), tempestjewel (05-20-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 PM   #49
tempestjewel
Climbing Rose

tempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant futuretempestjewel has a brilliant future

How seeds are stored can influence germination too. I didn't buy any new seeds this year and everything from last year worked (I didn't plant spinach- lead miners changed my mind about growing it!). I ordered all of my seeds from Territorial Seed originally. I store them in jars with silica packets in a cool spot in our garage.

We did square foot gardening at a rental, but our climate isn't good for that method. It doesn't freeze hard enough in the winter to control disease and pests, and the soil is quickly nutrient depleted. The first year the garden was gorgeous, but we quickly had pest and growth issues, which I found was from all the rain we get leaching nutrients from the soil! Hence why I am religious about using homemade fertilizer and plant spacing now that we have more room to do so!

I have done crimson clover as a cover crop the past two years and it leaves the soil so nice in the spring, instead of super compacted from all the rainfall. It is so easy to pull, too.
charla (05-20-2017), RiverRock (05-20-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-21-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #50
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

My garden beds are ready for planting. I have three raised beds, and over the past few years the soil levels dropped. Last week I added a layer of composted chicken manure and today dh picked up a load of garden mix (looks like some topsoil mixed with dark composted mulch and sand) to top the beds. They are raked and level. We had a cold and long winter, but it is warming up quickly. I was aiming to plant this weekend so I am on track...so far. I have already purchased seeds and tomato plant seedlings. I hope to plant tomorrow.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
charla (05-20-2017), Llee (05-21-2017), MaybeGracie (05-20-2017), PrincessAnika (05-21-2017), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #51
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeGracie View Post
I plan to keep our garden simple this year (baby due mid-June). We'll do snap peas, carrots, green onions, spinach, lettuce, and basil. Possibly cherry tomatoes. No cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon, or broccoli this year.
I finally got the garden in today. I planted mixed greens, basil, rosemary, green onions, carrots, snap peas, and tomatoes. Between the late start and the lack of care it will receive this summer, I'm not sure how well it will do, but hopefully something grows. The kids enjoy snacking from it while they play in the yard, so if there's enough for them to do that, I'll be satisfied.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
charla (05-21-2017), PrincessAnika (05-21-2017), RiverRock (05-21-2017), Soliloquy (05-21-2017), tempestjewel (05-21-2017)