Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:48 AM   #1
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice
Default Giving Up Organic

It seems like as the winter goes on eating organic is becoming more and more expensive. Any advice for remaining healthy without spending so much? I have always believed that you are what what you eat eats. So in my mind immune health etc is directly related to eating organic fresh foods. I don't think I can give up organic wheat berries or grassfed butter as I know wheat and fats are the most unhealthy if not organic.
ServingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving Up Organic

I try to find organics on sale by atching the ads.One place has specific organic produce/other foods on sale.Next I try to fnd at least non GMO and have even found some fozen vegies that arent org certified but say they try get their vegies from growers that use alternative pescticde practices. These kinds of lists tell you what are the highest to the lowest pesticide amounts https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/list.php

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/wash-fruits-veggies/

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:25 AM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Is there Bountiful Baskets where you are? It's a cheap way to get some organic produce.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
mamacat (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

You can give up some organics without worry...do you know about the Clean 15? That's a list of produce that isn't much affected by pesticides. Then the Dirty Dozen is a list of the most heavily affected, to avoid if you can. https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty_dozen_list.php

Prioritize what you value organic most...beef, milk, wheat berries, the dirty dozen? And let the rest go for now. I know that's hard, but consider that you're still getting the nutrients your bodies need from the conventional produce.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
mamacat (02-01-2017), rjy9343 (02-02-2017), sprout (02-04-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #5
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, I think organics over conventional produce is becoming a bigger scam than anything. I'd rather see people eating conventional fruit and vegetables in larger quantities over restricting intake because of cost. There are some items that are better when certified organic, but the majority of them aren't worth the extra cost.

There are pesticides still used in organic farming. And, IMO, organic cookies are still cookies. I'd much rather put conventionally raised apples into my children over organic pre-packaged foods.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-01-2017), Aerynne (02-01-2017), bananacake (02-03-2017), domesticzookeeper (02-01-2017), HuggaBuggaMommy (02-01-2017), Llee (02-02-2017), MercyInDisguise (02-02-2017), squiddles (02-03-2017), teamommy (02-01-2017), WanderingJuniper (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I was told whe ds first got sick to chose organic when possible, then locally grown over grocery store after that. The reasoning being that produce grown overseas has different standards of pesticide use than domestic. Local also is usually fresher.

In my case, organic is much better than conventional because I have such a hard time getting ds to eat it AND because his system is so sensitive to chemicals.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
bananacake (02-03-2017), Llee (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Was also going to mention imported anything is cleaner than US foods usually and sadly. Cheeses ,pasta . Have also been looking into using activated charcoal to offset chemicals , Do you know about that CJ?Just read this morning about a dad who said he gives to kids if he suspects they had unclean stuff when at friends house etc and it clears them within about 10 minutes.Also read to take it sometimes if cant eat a totally organic diet but I am having trouble figuring out when to take exactly so that one is absorbing nutrients and the charcoal is taking the chems out of system.Do you take it ahead of a meal so has time to clear stomach or a certain amount of time after?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on where the import is from and what it is

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

I'll ask my integrative Dr about the charcoal

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
bananacake (02-03-2017), mamacat (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

You have To be careful w charcoal. Cannot be take with w supplements meds or absorbs them. Can interfere w nutrient absorption as well . Charcoal basically absorbs stuff. Like a sponge.

It's what's used to pump someone's stomach.

That said when we r ill w gastrointestinal bugs, we use charcoal heavily. In 13 years of use we've not ever had a stomach bug spread to the entire family. We stop in its tracks w charcoal. But we avoid meds/supplements (2 hrs after or before)

And also Have to be careful because can cause conscription. In fact, it stops diarrhea pretty rapidly.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-02-2017), CelticJourney (02-01-2017), mamacat (02-01-2017), ValiantJoy07 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #10
BestLaidPlans
Rose Trellis

What was I… eh, scrap it. I'm taking a nap.

BestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond reputeBestLaidPlans has a reputation beyond repute

5 girls 2 boys
4 of my 7 are teens - now 5 are teens!
5 of my 7 have special needs

“Motherhood is heaven and hell, hard and holy.”
-quote from Rachel Nielson
BestLaidPlans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #11
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice

Wow, I am loving the path this thread is taking! I have some activated charcoal because I used to use it in a tooth paste recipe but it was too messy to let the kids use.
For me organic is not eating packaged organic items but cooking from scratch with organic food. We used to raise most of our veggies, milk and my ex hunted game. So what little we bought was always organic.
Now it just seems impossible to keep eating so well. I would buy mostly local over the summer at the farmers market but that ended a few months ago. Luckily I had bought a turkey and goose on a payment plan so for the holidays we had great meat and leftovers!
I will check out the clean fifteen and try to memorize it so when I buy those things I don't stress much. A lot of animals store chemicals and toxins in their fat, whether it be milk fat or meat fat. So I plan to keep using grassfed butter and milk but cut back on dairy in general. We are so addicted to butter or cheese on everything from having a cow for so long. I am halfway convinced low fat meat should be okay conventional, so that will help my budget a lot.
Thank you for the tip on European foods, I had almost forgotten many countries do not allow gmo food even for livestock. I think Aldi carries some Swiss and French cheeses that are cheaper than organic.
ServingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ServingGrace For This Useful Post:
mamacat (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

I read that Aldi's is now going to sell Organic Produce.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:24 PM   #13
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I will check out the clean fifteen and try to memorize it so when I buy those things I don't stress much.
Or just keep a list in your wallet. I keep the dirty dozen in mine. Be aware that it changes a bit from year to year.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #14
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

We got a Costco Membership I probably spend $30-$40 a week on frozen organic fruit and produce to make smoothies, that has been hands down the best thing I done for our health. The rest of our meals are light on produce, but that daily PUNCH of fruit and veggies keeps everyone's body happy.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 02-03-2017 at 06:25 AM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
bananacake (02-03-2017), JoannaV (02-02-2017), Maedchen (02-02-2017), mamacat (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
mamacat
Rose Garden

Was going to say that Sams Club(we dont have Costco nearby but even better) has been carrying more and more organic foods. If you re on any kind of budget at all it can be a real balancing act to eat as clean as possible. It is so helpful for everyone to share how they try and do that.

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C