Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] > Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Homeschooling & Unschooling Info and FAQ's *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grammar for "Morning time"/circle time/together time

We do mad-libs during circle time, and that is fun, but most of my kids need Grammar instruction, so I am wondering if this is something we can do together. I'd like to try it, but I don't know what to do.
We have not done a lot of formal grammar at all, so I am not sure where to begin in a way that is not going to waste my older kids' time, but that is not going to be skipping too much for my younger ones.

(My 4 yo will just take in what she can, I don't expect her to follow along much.)

My school age kids are 7, 9, 11, 15 and 17. the 7 yo knows nothing beyond noun/verbs, capitalization at beginning and ending punctuation. She can sort of write sentences.

I was thinking of maybe diagramming sentences on a white board and letting the younger ones do the subject/verb stuff and the older ones do the modifiers and such, but I'd love a book like Easy Grammar to just go though. The problem with choosing Easy Grammar is that I don't know what grade to start with. I think really any level of instruction is probably helpful, but I also don't want to completely waste my DD's time as she has a lot on her plate and several things she is supposed to spend 10 minutes on.

Any advice? I have some Easy Grammar grades 3, 5, and 10 and FLL already, but we have not used them. We have a homeschool store that sells stuff on consignment, so I can pick up something else easily. Any suggestions?

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grammar for "Morning time"/circle time/together time

I was going to suggest diagramming sentences.

Great minds

I saw one recommended that uses the Bible. The Amazon reviews aren't great though. Hmmm.

I'm absolutely in love with Spell to Write and Read despite its organizational flaws. It incorporates spelling, grammar, compression, and reading. My 11 year is doing a daily word list of 20 words plus the extra exercises. We'll do this piece until we get to a point where she needs more time with the list. We started on J. She's not missing words, but she's letting me learn the program.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Easy Grammar has assessments on their site. But I don't know that I'd do it as a group We are doing Easy Grammar, but grade-specific.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Grammarland? (By Nesbitt) We read it out loud 3 or 4 years ago and did the exercises orally. Probably isn't enough for your older kids, though. It's available inexpensively on Amazon.

My two older girls do Winston Grammar - one is still on basic, the other started advanced this year. That might work pretty well in a group, now that I think about it. The younger kids can do the easier parts of speech, the older ones the more complicated. It's quite hands-on and uses "Clue Cards" to determine the parts of speech, and kids learn through repetition.

The Sentence Family is wonderfully creative and is written for a class, I think fourth grade? I bought it directly from St Michael's Orthodox school, but Rainbow Resource carries it now. It's organized a little differently from other texts - more whole-to-parts than other programs. It starts with types of sentences and there's a character for each one that you draw. (Mr. Declarative, etc.) The details of each picture define the details of each type of sentence and part of speech. You can even act things out.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #5
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

I second Winston grammar. We just started but I think the clue cards are really great and would lend themselves to group work. The beginner is likely too simple for the older ones, but there are several levels.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #6
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I have only used fll. The first two years of it ateall out loud and would fit well with a morning basket. Wiggle worm loved doing it with early bird when she was 4.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

We do Winston grammar. It will do what you are looking for. You can do a couple of sentences a day.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk