Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
WI Mama05
Rose Garden

God, you've got this!

WI Mama05 has disabled reputation
Default I need BREAD RECIPIES!

I started making our bread a few weeks ago and really need a whole wheat and multigrain bread recipe. I tried Allrecipies, and call me stupid, but they are all for bread machines and I want to do it by hand (our machine isn't very good). HELP!
WI Mama05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #2
herbalwriter

Default Re: I need BREAD RECIPIES!

You're not stupid! We all have a level of work we're willing to put in to food prep. I grind my own grain by hand, but I totally use the bread machine.

Here are a couple:

Whole Wheat Quick Bread

2 c ww flour
1/2 c soy flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c wheat germ
1/4 c dry milk powder
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c honey or molasses

Mix dry ingred. in bowl, then add milk and honey and stir but just until moist. Put in greased 5x9 loaf pan; let sit 20 min. Bake at 350 for 35 to 50 min or until the loaf is done - sounds hollow when tapped and is browned.

Multigrain bread:
1-2 t. yeast
3 c warm water (sub 1/4 c liquid with 1 beaten egg if you like)
1 T. - 1/2 c honey, sugar or molasses
3 c mixed grains such as rolled oats, bran, wheat germ, rye flous, bulgur, etc.
6 c ww flour
1/4 - 1/2 c oil
2 t. salt

Let the yeast dissolve in warm water and honey - when it is bubbly, add mixed grains plus 1 1/2 c flour. BEat well, set to rise for 1 hour in the bowl. Add opil, salt, and the rest of the flour and mix well. Knead 10 min. You can add oil while kneading to prevent the dough from drying out. Let rise until doubled; punch down; shape into 2 loaves and place in greased 4x8 loaf pans. Let rise until double. Bake 350 for 45- 50 min., until brown.

As I said, I use a machine, so I have never tried these recipes. But they come from my tried and true LLL cookbook so I hope they work for you!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
Marielle
Rose Garden

Marielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond reputeMarielle has a reputation beyond repute

If it's just one or two loaves I'll use the food processor, anything more I use the stand mixer (I like kneading bread by hand but the minute my hands get dirty my kids have a sensor and get into something).

I've tweaked this recipe from a cook's illustrated white bread recipe to make it whole wheat (I prefer the KA white wheat flour, less bitter taste).

American Loaf Sandwich Bread

Makes one 9-inch loaf

This recipe uses a standing electric mixer, but a food processor works as well.

3 1/2 white wheat flour (divided in half)
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/3 cup warm milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons honey (try brown sugar next time)
1/4 tsp yeast + 2 tsp
5 tblsp vital wheat gluten

1/3 cup warm water as needed

Mix half of flour, salt, milk, 1/4 tsp. yeast, butter and honey into a smooth batter. Allow to sit overnight covered with plastic wrap.

The following morning knead the sponge for about 5 minutes. Add rest of the flour and water as necessary. Allow to rest 15-30 minutes then adjust water again.

Knead dough in mixer until slight windowpane appears. Roll into a ball, oil bowl and then dough. Allow to rise until doubled, about 2 hours (can do this longer in the fridge).

When dough has ripened, turn out onto counter and flatten with knuckles (degass). Shape into loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Allow to proof covered, until indentation fills slowly about 45 minutes.

Heat oven to 350 degrees, placing empty loaf pan on bottom rack. Bring 2 cups water to boil.

Remove plastic wrap from loaf pan. Place pan in oven, immediately pouring heated water into empty loaf pan; close oven door. Bake until instant-read thermometer inserted at angle from short end just above pan rim into center of loaf reads 185-195 degrees, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove bread from pan, transfer to a wire rack, BRUSH WITH MELTED BUTTER and cool to room temperature. Slice and serve.

cook, sew, knit, crochet, repeat - my blog http://www.maricucu.blogspot.com

Married to T for 13 years and watching over the herd:
I 10.5 yo
R 8.25 yo
N 5.5 yo
M 3.75 yo

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”

-Mark Twain
Marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #4
herbalwriter

Marielle, that sounds good. I love KA white wheat...but my grocery store just quit carrying it.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
4MKfam
Rose Garden

4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute4MKfam has a reputation beyond repute

Find yourself a copy of LLL's Whole Foods for the Whole Family. There's a ton of great all whole-wheat recipes in there, and the directions are FABULOUS! To my frustration, I've found lot of breadmaking is experience-learned. I can't just follow the recipe to the letter, or I'll get different results every time. Baking bread in Arizona was a totally different experience than baking bread in humid summertime Wisconsin. Their directions explain how to play with the recipe and what you're looking for with each step.
4MKfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
jtidwell
Rose Bush

jtidwell is just really nicejtidwell is just really nicejtidwell is just really nicejtidwell is just really nicejtidwell is just really nice

First, the old classic Moosewood cookbook has a section on breadmaking. It's fantastic -- described the framework for the whole process, defines terms like "sponge" and "mix," and has a hand-kneading tutorial.

That said, I found my all-time favorite bread recipe in Shirley Corriher's "Cookwise." It's the Honey Whole Wheat Loaf, pg 46-48. But I make it differently than she does, so here's what I do:

The Sponge:
Whisk 1 pkg yeast (2 1/4 tsp) into a little warm water with a small spoonful of honey. Let sit for a few minutes until foamy.
Mix about 1/2 cup rice milk or almond milk with 1 cup hot water; pour the lukewarm liquid into bowl with yeast.
Gradually mix in 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, and hand-beat with wooden spoon for a little while. (I use King Arthur -- high gluten.)
Cover bowl with wet towel or plastic wrap.
*** Let the sponge sit for 30 minutes to 2 1/2 hours. ***

The Mix and the Knead:
Stir together 1 egg yolk, 2-3 Tbsp honey, 1/4 cup cold water or crushed ice, and 2 tsp sea salt. Mix into sponge.
Gradually add 1 1/2 cup white flour (either KA white or other brand's bread flour). I use a spoon to start, but finish with fingers.
Turn onto a floured surface and knead! Whee! I do this for at least 10-15 minutes; it keeps absorbing flour.
Put dough into a well-oiled bowl, turn to coat, and cover again with wet towel.
*** Let the dough rise for about 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in volume. ***

The Second Rise:
Punch down the dough, turn out onto counter, and stretch/work it into an oval.
Stretch the top surface and tuck it into the bottom of the loaf; do this a couple of times.
Oil and/or seed a loaf pan, and put loaf into it.
*** Let the second rise go for about 1 hour, until dough looks doubled in volume. Don't overrise this one. ***

The Baking: (this is word-for-word from Cookwise)
"About 30 minutes before the dough is fully risen, place a baking stone on a shelf in the lowest slot of the oven and preheat to 450 F. About 5 minutes before baking, turn the oven down to 375 F, and carefully place a shallow pan with 1/2 inch of boiling water on the floor or lowest shelf of the oven. ... Bake until well browned, 45 to 55 minutes. ... The loaf is done when the center is at least 200 F."

(I often press sesame seeds into the surface of the bread just before baking, and I spray the surface with water a few times during baking to get a crispy crust. The Cookwise recipe calls for a beaten-egg wash, but I prefer water.)
Old 07-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
herbalwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MKfam
Find yourself a copy of LLL's Whole Foods for the Whole Family.
That's where my post's recipes came from. It is the most awesome cookbook ever, and it has a big section on the legistics of breadmaking.