Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #61
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you let your kids snack after supper?

this sounds like a hard situation. I try to get my DS to eat before he goes to bed because I've noticed he sleeps longer and better on a full stomach. Night time snacks are usually fruit or cheese or crackers, etc. here. We brush teeth right before story time, then bed. Bath some nights sometimes before, sometimes after snack.

you and your family.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
Rose5000 (02-11-2015)
Old 07-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #62
Rose5000
Climbing Rose

Rose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowermom View Post
this sounds like a hard situation. I try to get my DS to eat before he goes to bed because I've noticed he sleeps longer and better on a full stomach. Night time snacks are usually fruit or cheese or crackers, etc. here. We brush teeth right before story time, then bed. Bath some nights sometimes before, sometimes after snack.

you and your family.
Thank you.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #63
Rose5000
Climbing Rose

Rose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud ofRose5000 has much to be proud of

I have to be firmer in the way I tell dh what I want going forward.

we just instituted a "dinner hour" from 6 to 6:30 .
Last night was the 2nd night.
DH slipped into saying to son "Now remember, no food after this until morning."
I spoke up, "Well, actually, I told him last night that since dinner is from 6 to 630, he can have a light snack around 730, like an apple."
He agreed.

I saw son eating the rest of a loaf of bread around 8pm......this shows me that I need to provide a more substantial snack then just a piece of fruit, and make it okay to have it a little - maybe even a LOT - later than 7:30! - especially since he has such trouble sleeping .

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
I've had insomnia since early childhood. I've tried a variety of things related to food intake since I was old enough to experiment with my own needs. Nothing I've done related to food, other than staying away from large amounts of caffeine past about 2pm, has had any bearing on my sleep cycles.
So you're saying that whether you have a snack before bed or not, and no matter what that snack consists of, the *food* has never been the solution to your insomnia, right? What *have* you found to be effective?

I give him a 2 tsps of Gall Bladder Nano from PRL labs in juice , that seems to help sometimes. I've also given him Melatonin, but don't want to make that a habit and he says it is not as effective as the GBN.

Last edited by Rose5000; 10-23-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Rose5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #64
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, if they are hungry they get a healthy snack before bed. I don't send my children to bed hungry.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #65
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEllen View Post
Yes, if they are hungry they get a healthy snack before bed. I don't send my children to bed hungry.
Yes, this. I can't imagine making them go to bed hungry. Being awake hours after dinner necessitates snacks. Speedy kid metabolism and all that.
Heck, my dh and I also snack after dinner
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
JoEllen (10-24-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #66
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'm saying food wasn't the solution but it wasn't the problem either . Food literally has no effect on my sleeping patterns, other than things containing stimulants such as caffiene. I haven't ever 'solved' my insomnia, and have come as an adult to feel that it's more of a non-traditional sleep pattern. My body wants to be awake most of the night and sleep till late morning. I'm biologically designed for shift work .
I wouldn't be concerned about using melatonin on a regular basis either.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #67
mamajane
Rose Garden

mamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond reputemamajane has a reputation beyond repute

This just popped up on FB. One of the sleep tips refers to a study that shows a high carb snack before bed helping with a good night's sleep. It might be something to show dh
http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/s...-hacks#2grdctl
mamajane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamajane For This Useful Post:
Rose5000 (10-24-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #68
L-Boogie
Rose Trellis

L-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond reputeL-Boogie has a reputation beyond repute

My kids have to finish the food that they already have out. So, if they wanted a "snack" at 7:30, i would point them to their dinner if it wasn't finished. Other than that, they are always allowed to eat something unless we have already told them it was time to brush their teeth.
11/06 2/10 8/13
L-Boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #69
Rose5000
Climbing Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
I'm saying food wasn't the solution but it wasn't the problem either . Food literally has no effect on my sleeping patterns, other than things containing stimulants such as caffiene. I haven't ever 'solved' my insomnia, and have come as an adult to feel that it's more of a non-traditional sleep pattern. My body wants to be awake most of the night and sleep till late morning. I'm biologically designed for shift work .
I wouldn't be concerned about using melatonin on a regular basis either.
Does chocolate (the cafeine supposedly in it) bother you?
Old 10-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #70
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

It depends. Good, dark chocolate (the ones that say like 70% or 80% or whatnot on the wrapper) will. Not like a piece of cheap chocolate cake or anything.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:29 AM   #71
Rose5000
Climbing Rose

Oh! I would have thot the opposite. The dark chocolate seems to have more caffeine than cheap chocolate?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #72
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

Yeah this article (long but skimmable) is really interesting:
http://www.amanochocolate.com/articl...-in-chocolate/
Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #73
wildswede
Rose Blossom

wildswede will become famous soon enoughwildswede will become famous soon enough

Yup, if the kid is hungry then I let him eat, and on the swing side, if he's not hungry I don't force him to eat. Young kids are probably the only people who truly eat according to the cues they receive from their bodies, way too young we are taught to ignore hunger signs and full signs to "clean our plate" or "wait till dinner". Since I've had body issues and disordered eating since I was eight years old, I really try to let DS call the shots when it comes to eating. Not to say, he gets whatever he wants, whenever he wants it. But, he definitely has access to healthy snacks throughout the day.
wildswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wildswede For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (02-13-2015), Contented in FL (11-02-2014), Rose5000 (02-11-2015)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #74
lizzyd
Climbing Rose

lizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant futurelizzyd has a brilliant future

Dinner is the last opportunity to eat around here. They go to bed an hour and a half after dinner, so I don't see a reason to eat again. I feel like the whole day already revolves around food, I'm ready to be done with it after dinner!
lizzyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lizzyd For This Useful Post:
melissa5317 (11-09-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #75
YesiHomeschool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
No, dinner is the last time to eat for the night. They get an afternoon snack though.
Same here! Once dinner is cleaned up: kitchen is closed. We do eat a later dinner, however, and there is a snack offered in late afternoon - so my children do eat four times per day. That seems to work for us.

Could you offer a late afternoon snack, and then have a bit later dinner so that your child doesn't feel hungry and dh is satisfied too?

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyd View Post
I feel like the whole day already revolves around food, I'm ready to be done with it after dinner!