Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
VeganIma
Rose Blossom

VeganIma is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Toddlers and Obedience

Is it normal for a two year old to obey the first time he is asked to do or not do something?

I just got off the phone with my parents, who decided to inform me that maybe my gentle parenting isn't working because our son doesn't instantly obey. *sigh* Maybe we should try spanking him, they said.

I try not to doubt my convictions and the parenting decisions I've made, but when both Hubby and my parents have criticisms and doubts about gentle parenting, I start to feel like I'm doing something wrong because our child isn't perfectly behaved at 2.5 years!
VeganIma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say they are praying for VeganIma:
JoEllen (11-18-2014), Scox2003 (11-17-2014), sunflowermom (11-17-2014), Virginia (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toddlers and Obedience

I am pretty sure that the two words..toddlers and obedience just don't ever go together in one sentence. Toddlers are vortexes all to their own and obedience seems like such an over the top word to even try to describe one.

I would stick with the gentle discipline and reap the rewards of it in the years to come honestly.

Is this your first? My parents have had similar convos with me ten years ago with my first. Have three more and there will be a lot more to talk about than how obedient or lack of obedient a toddler is.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (11-20-2014), HadassahSukkot (11-18-2014), homesteadmama (11-18-2014), VeganIma (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
VeganIma
Rose Blossom

VeganIma is on a distinguished road

Yep, this is our first...and their first grandchild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Single Mama to Little Bear ~ 7/18/12 and Baby Bean 7/22/15
ISFJ
VeganIma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeganIma For This Useful Post:
Scox2003 (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

If they are not careful, their unrealistic expectations are going to ruin their first run as grandparenting. No way do two year olds obey the first time.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
3PeasInAPod (11-17-2014), ArmsOfLove (11-17-2014), Codi (11-19-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (11-17-2014), HadassahSukkot (11-18-2014), homesteadmama (11-18-2014), Pragmatist (11-18-2014), Scox2003 (11-17-2014), ShiriChayim (11-17-2014), StewardofLOs (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
rcsmom
Rose Bouquet

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz

rcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to allrcsmom is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
No way do two year olds obey the first time.
and just for the record neither do 3 year olds, 4 year olds or 5 year olds. That is as far as I am at this point but I don't see it miraculously happening in the next couple of months either so I am going to say 6 year olds don't either.
rcsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcsmom For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (11-17-2014), Codi (11-19-2014), greengirl19 (11-18-2014), HadassahSukkot (11-18-2014), Scox2003 (11-17-2014), StewardofLOs (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

It's unrealistic. Sometimes they do, but mostly they don't. Then as they age it starts to even out so they're like 50/50 on doing what you say. My daughter is now 4 and she's tipped just over into the more often than not she'll obey. Sometimes she needs a hand or for me to make sure I have her attention first but on good days she does what I say most of the time. I've had great success in our family all around using GOYB parenting. It's gentle but not permissive. In our family we talk about it like training our brains to listen to our ears when they hear mom or dad. So it's not punitive at all, we are working together to teach them to pay attention to my voice so that when it's an emergency we can be sure my voice will go straight to their brains. I try to limit my "commands" so that I'm not barking at them all day and that also helps.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (11-18-2014), Scox2003 (11-17-2014), staceylayne (11-17-2014), StewardofLOs (11-18-2014), Virginia (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #7
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

For a two-year-old to consistently, every time, DO what they are asked would be ABnormal. Very.

So, how are you at learning to bean-dip? Can deflect comments and questions and turn the conversation to a different topic?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (11-17-2014), backtobasicsmum (11-20-2014), HadassahSukkot (11-18-2014), Scox2003 (11-17-2014), StewardofLOs (11-18-2014), Virginia (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute

If it was me I'd let them know real quick I don't want their parenting advice. Grandparents should just focus on enjoying those babies! !
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3PeasInAPod For This Useful Post:
FlyingBlueKiwi (11-17-2014), HadassahSukkot (11-18-2014), Scox2003 (11-17-2014), StewardofLOs (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganIma View Post
Is it normal for a two year old to obey the first time he is asked to do or not do something?

I just got off the phone with my parents, who decided to inform me that maybe my gentle parenting isn't working because our son doesn't instantly obey. *sigh* Maybe we should try spanking him, they said.
Guess what...YOU didn't first-time obey as a 2yo either. They just responded by spanking instead of making it happen or redirecting.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (11-17-2014), BarefootBetsy (11-18-2014), HadassahSukkot (11-18-2014), homesteadmama (11-18-2014), Scox2003 (11-17-2014), StewardofLOs (11-18-2014), Tasmanian Saint (11-18-2014), WanderingJuniper (11-20-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

I was very skeptical about gentle discipline. I joined the message board and avoided the GD forum because I wasn't convinced. My DH did not want to spank but had no other tools. By the time our first was 2, I needed tools so started peeking around for ideas. Nearly four years and two additional children later, it definitely works. I have learned so much and feel like I've unlocked greater potential in myself in navigating relationships with my children as well as with other people. I have been able to work on my own weaknesses rather than blaming my negative reactions on my children's behavior. Hang in there! You are in the right place.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (11-17-2014), HadassahSukkot (11-18-2014), homesteadmama (11-18-2014), marbles (11-18-2014), MariJo7 (11-18-2014), Pragmatist (11-18-2014), Scox2003 (11-17-2014), staceylayne (11-17-2014), StewardofLOs (11-18-2014), VeganIma (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Scox2003
Rosebud

Author of Gentle Firmness.

Scox2003 is a glorious beacon of lightScox2003 is a glorious beacon of lightScox2003 is a glorious beacon of lightScox2003 is a glorious beacon of lightScox2003 is a glorious beacon of lightScox2003 is a glorious beacon of light

First time obedience is neither biblical nor developmentally appropriate. I write about this in my book. The young brain takes longer to process stimuli. They just process everything much, much differently than we do. It takes a lot of brain damage from physical punishment to finally get children to obey immediately. Not good. They are in constant fight or flight mode when people use physical punishment to get first time obedience. Fear & pain hinder brain development and learning. God created children to be who they are. He created our brains. So, no children should never be expected to obey immediately all the time. Now, if there is an emergency or a good reason for immediate cooperation (I really dislike using obedience within the parent-child relationship because we're not God and are mere sinners. Cooperation should be our aim within the parent-child relationship.), then we need to tell the child why and be prepared to help the child cooperate.
Check out more on my https://discipliningwithgentlefirmness.com.
And find me on Facebook.

Married Chip in 2003
Scox2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scox2003 For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (11-17-2014), FlyingBlueKiwi (11-17-2014), iwillhope (11-24-2014), Pragmatist (11-18-2014), sunflowermom (11-17-2014), VeganIma (11-17-2014), Virginia (11-17-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

my children have been fine in emergencies - there is a different tone and intensity to my words when they literally need to listen. They get it and they move quickly.

Playful parenting is a great approach with 2yo's because they might not pick up toys but they will hand me nails to hammer into the box or hold hands while we quack like mommy and baby ducks, etc
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Scox2003 (11-19-2014), VeganIma (11-17-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute

My dh is like this too. I get really frustrated with him because his immediate reaction is "if you don't behave you aren't stating up tonight" etc, threats basically. I always get the story of how as a child he'd point to an ornament and say "no touch" and when asked why he didn't touch he would hit his hand and say "mummy ow", he was 2.5. He doesn't see anything wrong with smacking and tells me I should be smacking J more but J is such a strong willed character that smacking wouldn't work anyway and would instead make him angry and more likely to do something he knows he's not allowed to. But in saying that dh doesn't smack them much, gives a telling off etc but I've gotten the "smacking reflex" out of him. But it's so hard.
Oh he also tells me he's thankful his mom smacked him, and he's being serious.
Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

6 angels waiting with the Lord

"Looking off unto Jesus my spirit is blessed,
In the world i have turmoil ; In him i have rest,
While the sea of my life all about me may roar,
When i look unto Jesus i see it no more"
weerach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #14
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Spanking doesn't produce obedience. It can produce compliance in the short term. Obedience is a heart issue and spanking for compliance is about producing an externally observable behavior. If there is the threat of coercion, the dynamic that implies spanking for non-compliance is taking away the child's opportunity to obey.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Scox2003 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
JoEllen
Banned

"When life gives you lemons, cut them in half and squirt life in the eye!" - Unknown

JoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond reputeJoEllen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganIma View Post
Define 'normal'. Sometimes my children will do as I say the first time I say it, and sometimes I have to say it twice, or make it happen, or whatever the case may be. It all depends on their personality, their age, their mood at the time (and mine), etc.

What's not 'normal' is a child obeying instantly out of fear of being hit or otherwise punished.
JoEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoEllen For This Useful Post:
Scox2003 (11-19-2014)