Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Rehoming

We have rehomed two animals due to children. Both we had before kids/ Our cat was horribly miserable and refused to come out of the basement where we kept her litter because because he was afraid of our children my sister took her.

Our dog nipped at our son and my cousin took her. I don't have advice as I didn't have to do any research or much networking but will be praying for you. it was so so hard.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-04-2018), Virginia (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 06:27 PM   #17
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMarch View Post
Our vet is also a mother of a young child and is pro-Feliway.

For the litter issue, I didn't see, is the box covered? If so, I'd take the cover off since that is very stressful for some cats. Cat Attract brand litter or additive to current litter should both be helpful.

Nature's Miracle or another enzyme based cleaner will be your best bet for cleaning but for the infant seat, if you aren't discarding, ask the manufacturer for their protocol so warranty and whatnot isn't voided.

For rehoming - FB groups will be great for getting word out. But you might get some ugly backlash so perhaps use an alternate account

I would suggest a criteria of: no small children or dogs, ideally no other pets, paying a fee that you will return to them as credit at a vet of their choice.

I would also suggest scooping the box 2x a day (I know this is usually your H's task) so that she's less likely to make messes for you guys to clean and less likely to get in the habit and then be rejected by a new family. Also, consider a second box in another location. We have three cats and adding a box in another room to our current set up has pretty much ended our dumb/stressed/weird cat's inappropriate peeing. It's a drag having a box in our hall bathtub, but it's better than finding stuff that's been peed on.
No cover anymore. We took it off forever ago. She did fine with the cover for a while but then started going outside the box.

We literally have zero places we could put a second litter box We live in a townhome, and space is already super limited, and KO goes in every other room except DH's office When we rented a house, we were able to have two litter boxes (but we also had two cats at the time).

We can try to clean twice a day, but doing it once a day is already a struggle. Maybe Dh and I can work something out, though.

I'm about online backlash, tbh; I have no qualms unfollowing and blocking people who terrorize me.

Thanks for the ideas! Hopefully something helps while we look for a home for her

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
We have rehomed two animals due to children. Both we had before kids/ Our cat was horribly miserable and refused to come out of the basement where we kept her litter because because he was afraid of our children my sister took her.

Our dog nipped at our son and my cousin took her. I don't have advice as I didn't have to do any research or much networking but will be praying for you. it was so so hard.
Thank you so much. It is so hard-- like, all of us are miserable. The cat. DH. Me. Actually, KO loves the cat But every time she's around, Minion just runs away and refuses to be in our presence It's hard to see our sweet kitty so miserable

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenlove View Post
We tried to rehome one of our cats a few years ago. Long story short, she had a terrible breakdown when we moved into our current house. She was absolutely miserable. We tried two different meds, and ended up having kore success with Buspar, which we had compounded at a local pharmacy. We were able to eventually wean her off of it. We tried a “calming collar” that released pheromones but didn’t notice a difference for her.

I reached out to one or two rescue agencies suggested by our vet and they were not helpful. They considered her a senior cat at the age of 6-7 years old and told me it would be nearly impossible to find a home for her. I tried posting on our neighborhood fb page and no one responded. I avoided our “city neighborhood” fb page Bc there are some extremely harsh people there.

Ultimately, she did get better and she’s now fine - no meds, no collars, no special food, etc. However, it took our other cat dying for her to fully recover. That’s obviously very different than your situation. So my recommendation is try meds if you’re able to, and see if any rescue agencies around you are more helpful. I’m sorry your cat isn’t adjusting to your baby. It’s tough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! We are going to the vet tomorrow. I'll ask about rescue agencies... we live in a pretty big city, so maybe there's one that will be helpful?

DH doesn't want to try meds. We're going to have to rehome her regardless (his allergies play into all of this, too...they're bad, y'all). So what the point in meds? <-- his words.

This whole thing is so hard. I feel sick over it.
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Virginia:
Little Forest (12-03-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #18
lavenlove
Rosebud

lavenlove will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post

Thanks for the ideas! Hopefully something helps while we look for a home Thank you! We are going to the vet tomorrow. I'll ask about rescue agencies... we live in a pretty big city, so maybe there's one that will be helpful?

DH doesn't want to try meds. We're going to have to rehome her regardless (his allergies play into all of this, too...they're bad, y'all). So what the point in meds? <-- his words.

This whole thing is so hard. I feel sick over it.

My husband would probably feel the same way about the meds, if rehoming was the definite plan. But if you’re not able to immediately rehome her (like rescues won’t take her and you don’t want to take her to the pound) meds might offer some relief for the behavioral symptoms that are bothering you, in the meantime. It’s a tough situation all around. And I’m sure the allergies make it that much harder. I hope you find a great home for her soon.

lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lavenlove For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (11-03-2018), Quiteria (10-31-2018), Virginia (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 06:54 PM   #19
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My husband would probably feel the same way about the meds, if rehoming was the definite plan. But if you’re not able to immediately rehome her (like rescues won’t take her and you don’t want to take her to the pound) meds might offer some relief for the behavioral symptoms that are bothering you, in the meantime. It’s a tough situation all around. And I’m sure the allergies make it that much harder. I hope you find a great home for her soon.

Thank you
The no-kill shelter is our backup back up plan.
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (12-04-2018), lavenlove (10-31-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #20
lavenlove
Rosebud

lavenlove will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thank you

The no-kill shelter is our backup back up plan.

Have you been able to rehome your kitty yet?

lavenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lavenlove For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (12-04-2018), Virginia (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 10:14 AM   #21
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute

Why have you not yet made her an indoor/outdoor cat?

I agree, tell your vet she needs a home without small children. Also, can put an add on Craigslist or your local FB animal page.

If none of that works, then take her to the no kill shelter with a donation.

You've done lots. I would not tolerate a cat peeing/pooping outside the box, they'd get booted out.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 PM   #22
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

We took 2 cats rehomed from people we know from our children's school. The mother's allergies got to a point where she couldn't take it. I am sorry if people give you a hard time. I totally understand that sometimes you have to rehome for a reason like that, that it is not working for your family. I hope you are able to find a good home for the cat soon.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (12-04-2018), Llee (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #23
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
Why have you not yet made her an indoor/outdoor cat?

I agree, tell your vet she needs a home without small children. Also, can put an add on Craigslist or your local FB animal page.

If none of that works, then take her to the no kill shelter with a donation.

You've done lots. I would not tolerate a cat peeing/pooping outside the box, they'd get booted out.
Many reasons for her not to be an indoor/outdoor cat, with number one being her safety.

The pooping outside the box is literally daily. I can't remember the last time she pooped in her box. It's been at LEAST a year and I think longer

Quote:
Have you been able to rehome your kitty yet?

Thank you for asking! A friend did say he would be happy to take her. He has a male cat, so we discussed trying it on a trial basis (the last time we had another cat, it was a dominant alpha female who bullied her, and we're hoping maybe she'll do better with a chill male cat. Worth a try, and it's someone I know and trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Forest View Post
We took 2 cats rehomed from people we know from our children's school. The mother's allergies got to a point where she couldn't take it. I am sorry if people give you a hard time. I totally understand that sometimes you have to rehome for a reason like that, that it is not working for your family. I hope you are able to find a good home for the cat soon.
Thank you So far, we haven't gotten too much flack. It's like people don't understand this has been such a hard decision we've really thought about and we love her and are SO sad to see her go But our health is more important
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (12-04-2018), kiloyd (12-04-2018), Little Forest (12-04-2018), Llee (12-04-2018), Quiteria (12-04-2018), Singingmom (12-06-2018), TenderLovingWillow (12-23-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:49 PM   #24
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Craigslist is not a good option. I believe they stopped allowing live animals to be listed due to animals that we're "adopted" getting used for horrible purposes (medical research, bait for fighting animals). If the no kill shelter won't take her, it would be kinder to humanely euthanize with you there.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-04-2018), Virginia (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #25
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBlueKiwi View Post
Craigslist is not a good option. I believe they stopped allowing live animals to be listed due to animals that we're "adopted" getting used for horrible purposes (medical research, bait for fighting animals). If the no kill shelter won't take her, it would be kinder to humanely euthanize with you there.
That is so so horrible!
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (12-05-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #26
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the trial basis works out.

We had to do the same thing - I had two 6yo cats I adopted as kittens when I was single. I loved them so much. But as our lives changed... I got married, we moved several times, then the baby came along at the same time as us buying a house and moving yet again... It was too much. We made it 16 months after DD1 was born. Same reasons as you, except the cats didn't limit it to the room where the litter box was. For me, the deciding factor was when I found a huge puddle in DD1's room where she had been crawling earlier that day. My parents were willing to take the cats, thankfully, though they ended up putting one of them down about 2 years later (she never "recovered"). The other cat is now living with my sister at an old age of 14.

Anyway, just wanted to say lots of hugs. It's such a hard decision and I understand how stressful it is. I don't regret rehoming my cats at all, and I do think they were happier after.
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (12-27-2018), kiloyd (12-07-2018), Virginia (12-06-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #27
Virginia
Rose Garden

Kitty was successfully rehomed to a friend who lives nearby and he said we can visit whenever we want. Hopefully the transition goes ok with his other (male) pets! Thanks for all your advice!

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (12-16-2018), everybody's mother (12-27-2018), FlyingBlueKiwi (12-17-2018), heartofjoy (12-16-2018), kiloyd (12-18-2018), lavenlove (12-18-2018), Little Forest (12-17-2018), MamaRachel (12-17-2018), MegMarch (12-16-2018), Quiteria (12-16-2018), Singingmom (12-16-2018), tempus vernum (12-17-2018), TenderLovingWillow (12-23-2018), twentysixcats (12-17-2018), twoplustwo (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #28
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kitty was successfully rehomed to a friend who lives nearby and he said we can visit whenever we want. Hopefully the transition goes ok with his other (male) pets! Thanks for all your advice!

So glad to hear. Hope all works out well for the new owner!

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (12-27-2018), kiloyd (12-18-2018), lavenlove (12-18-2018), tempus vernum (12-18-2018), Virginia (12-17-2018)