Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bunnies/Rabbits - Ideas needed on how to house them comfortably and easily

DD has two bunnies.
The people that gave them to us gave us a wooden hutch as well. It has some chicken-wire-like-but-not-chicken-wire stuff on the bottom. We are keeping them on the porch.
Right now, we are lining the hutch with hay.
It is a mess.
I am not really sure how to even clean their cage. We were told just to put in a few inches of hay, but not only is it getting expensive, it is just really hard to clean the old hay out and put new in, keep it dry, etc.
They don't seem to discriminate where they use the bathroom. Is that typical?

Last week, we set up some cinderblocks, put down some big cardboard sheets, then put the hutch overtop, then the hay in the hutch. I can just roll up the cardboard that is soiled and replace it, but that is not a permanent solution.

Help!

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 07-19-2017 at 02:29 PM.
RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bunnies/Rabbits - Ideas needed on how to house them comfortably and easily

No idea but bump bc we are looking into bunnies. Has Google given any help?

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 AM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bunnies/Rabbits - Ideas needed on how to house them comfortably and easily

Bunnies are hard. I had bunnies in high school. I don't think they need hay everywhere, though- just some they can get to to chew on. Maybe one of those wall-mounted hay dispensers? And some can be taught to use a litter box, but IME, not very reliably.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
Bunnies are hard. I had bunnies in high school. I don't think they need hay everywhere, though- just some they can get to to chew on. Maybe one of those wall-mounted hay dispensers? And some can be taught to use a litter box, but IME, not very reliably.
This is what is on the bottom of the hutch.
https://www.sure-green.com/products/...-wire-mesh.php
The hutch is on top of 4 cinderblocks on each edge, and there is cardboard between the mesh and the cinderblocks. Do you think they could just sit on the mesh covered cardboard, and I can just put hay in their little upper level house thing, and then maybe in a litter box type thing, and leave the other half just mesh?
I'd like to get away from the cardboard, but right now, I don't want pee and poo to go all over my porch, KWIM? The cardboard absorbs the liquid and gives them a sturdy place to stand. But, we have to put frozen water bottles in the cage to keep the bunnies cool. We are bringing them inside during the heat of the day, but it is still pretty hot other times, so we have frozen water bottles in the cage for them. The condensation makes the hay wet.

Right now, I am having to haul the hutch onto the side of the house every few days and pitch the hay out. It doesn't take long, but it is annoying. Having hay just in a box would be helpful.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Last edited by RealLifeMama; 07-21-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:50 AM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Do they mind standing on the mesh? If so you could also get a finer mesh.

You could get a tray to put under the hutch so your porch doesn't get gross.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I've never heard of a mesh bottomed hutch. That sounds painful
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

That looks like what we had on the bottom of the rabbit hutch I had in middle school when we had rabbits. But we just had there cadge in the grass and we moved it around every week when we mowed so the poop got spread out.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

I think it is there because if they are outdoors, they will dig out.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #9
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Here the hutches have wood bottoms and are usually raised up on legs so no issues of digging out. That would only be an issue with a run. Unless we're taking cross purposes here?

In the UK a hutch is a little wooden home, usually with 2 compartments, one of which has a wire front. Then, through the summer atleast, we put them out in a run for some or all of the day, which either goes on grass or concrete, for exercise purposes.

What i mean by a hutch https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...5L&ref=plSrchi

And a run https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...evL&ref=plSrch
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote