Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:10 AM   #1
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Easiest way to make homemade tomato sauce?

Realizing that my store-bought jarred spaghetti sauce has a lot of sodium, way more than I should be eating as a staple.

I have no desire to spend hours making gourmet sauce, but I should probably start looking into how to convert fresh tomatoes into something better for me.

Ideas? Again, not a labor of love....just reluctant necessity. Shortcuts that don't add more salt or preservatives are heartily welcomed.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Easiest way to make homemade tomato sauce?

Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:43 AM   #3
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

When I make spaghetti sauce I just use a large can of crushed tomatoes and then season it with garlic, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. I've made my own sauce from fresh tomatoes but they take forever to cook down.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Same here.I use a large can of crushd tomatoes and 1 can of tomato paste if you like a thicker sauce and you can thin with some water. Then garlic,oregano,basil,parsley, olive oil, SEAsalt

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Virginia (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, tomato sauce doesn't have to be a long drawn-out process! (Those long-simmered sauces are a Southern Italian staple. In other regions of Italy they make completely different pasta sauces.) You can make fresh sauces in 10-15 minutes. The key is really just to have good ingredients. A decent olive oil makes a huge difference.

If you have cherry/grape/small tomatoes:

In a large saute pan saute a small diced onion and a clove or two of minced garlic in olive oil over med high heat.

Add a pint of cherry tomatoes, a few leaves of ripped basil, and a sprinkle of salt.

Cook until the tomatoes start to pop. Serve!

I do the same thing with fresh chopped tomatoes, but you have to keep your eye on it. You don't want to overcook the tomatoes. (And don't skimp on the EVOO. )

If you don't like chunky sauce you're better off using canned (or Box like Pomi) tomatoes if you don't want to simmer for a long time. One of the reasons those sauces are so time-consuming is because of the tomato skins. DH's Nonna used to grind her fresh tomatoes in her food grinder (old-fashioned hand crank thing she brought with her from Italy!) three times before she bottled them to use through the winter. You could peel the tomatoes - cut an X in the bottom, dunk in boiling water for a minute and peel off with a knife - but that takes forever as well. (BTDT) A food mill works nicely if you have one.

Two large cans of crushed tomatoes to 1 medium can of diced tomatoes is my standard batch. Start with one med onion, a carrot, a rib of celery and 2-3 cloves of garlic all diced fine, sauteed in olive oil, then add the tomatoes. Season to taste with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and thyme. (Or you could use Italian seasoning plus some extra basil. Be careful of the blends with marjoram; they can taste soapy if you use too much.) Let it simmer on the back of the stove for about 20-30 minutes. You can let it go longer if you want.

Marinara sauces (all veggies) are the fast sauces to make. It's the sauces with meat - Bolognese, or Sunday Gravy - that take hours to simmer.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-01-2017), Quiteria (08-31-2017), twoplustwo (08-31-2017), Virginia (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #6
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

so, I take a bunch of fresh garden tomatos and add a little bit of water...about a 1/4 Cup...throw in the Vitamix and blend. Add seasoning and then serve.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-31-2017), ViolaMum (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 10:10 AM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Roasted tomato sauce is super easy as well.

Cut tomatoes in half and place on an oiled sheet pan. Toss in some peeled garlic cloves, a sprig or two of thyme, salt, and pepper and roast until soft and juicy. Run that through the blender, adjust the seasonings and serve.

Tomato sauce freezes quite well, so I usually make extra. My definition of "fast food."

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (09-01-2017), Quiteria (08-31-2017), Soliloquy (08-31-2017), twoplustwo (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
Roasted tomato sauce is super easy as well.

Cut tomatoes in half and place on an oiled sheet pan. Toss in some peeled garlic cloves, a sprig or two of thyme, salt, and pepper and roast until soft and juicy. Run that through the blender, adjust the seasonings and serve.

Tomato sauce freezes quite well, so I usually make extra. My definition of "fast food."
Yum!!!! My mom swears by this when her tomato plants are going crazy and I've been meaning to try it.

My SIL buys a big can (from Sam's Club) of crushed tomatoes, seasons it and lets it cook down for a while. It just requires stirring now and then.
ViolaMum (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

When we have tons of green tomatoes at the end of the season DH's family makes picalilly. My dh hates it, though! He prefers my fried green tomatoes, but those are time consuming and I can only take so much standing in front of a hot stove. This year I want to try making a roasted green tomato sauce. Not sure how it would turn out If I make it, I'll let you know how it turned out!

Old 08-31-2017, 02:05 PM   #10
graciousmomma

It'd be nice if you could pull me into town.

graciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond reputegraciousmomma has a reputation beyond repute

If you have an Instant Pot, that's the way to go if you are using fresh tomatoes. I made it that way one time (I really don't make a lot of homemade sauce, I just had some tomatoes to use up that had been given to me from MIL's garden). I basically quartered the tomatoes, poured one cup of water over the top, and added some seasonings, then cooked on high pressure for probably around 10 minutes. Then I took a hand blender and blended it up that way. It turned out great, without a whole lot of extra work or time involved
Lady Grey (08-31-2017), Llee (08-31-2017), Quiteria (08-31-2017), Soliloquy (08-31-2017)