Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Findabhair
Rose Bouquet

Findabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud of
Default Cup Questions

A friends of mine has recently switched from tampons to the diva cup and is really encouraging me to do the same. Financially I could see it might be beneficial.

Personally I've never used a tampon, I use organic cotton pads, so I'm concerned about comfort that way but I'm wondering if it would make sense/ work for me.

I'm very concerned about leaking as I have very heavy change a pad every 2 hours periods, but I also want to know if people had a change in cramps using a cup. For my whole period I have medium painful cramps except for 2 days near the end which is best described as transition in labour. Taking Advil Liquid Gels max dose does nothing. I basically pace, use labour breathing and positions and a couple heat packs. I DO NOT want cramps to get any worse.

So does anyone have any experiences with cups in relation to those issues? Would you recommend them? Any particular one?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cup Questions

I HATE tampons. They are the most uncomfortable things ever. My cup however is awesome! I was so hesitant to get one because I can't stand the feel of tampons but this is no problem. It was super intimidating the first time (the cup looks huge) but by the second cycle I was hooked! And I was always leaking with pads and tampons but so long as I remember to change it the cup never leaks. Well, iif I have it applied right. You have to get the suction on the cervix or else it doesn't work well.

So I highly recommend it.

And believe it or not they have some resale value in crunchy circles so if you hate it after a few cycles you can get a little of your money back.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-04-2014), MomtoJGJ (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

I got a Diva several years ago and never looked back. I'm picky about comfort and have no problems with it. Sometimes I've forgotten it's there. As for leaks there is a learning curve so you might want to use back up while you get the hang of it.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

I have used in the past a combination of cloth pads, disposable pads, and tampons. The cloth greatly reduced my cramps, but then when I switched to cups (right now I just he soft cups, disposable but I reuse each one for a couple days) I had almost no cramps at all. I can't even describe the difference it made. Periods are no big deal anymore, they used to keep me home huddled on the couch for two days. If you get a cup that fits you it shouldn't leak. The soft cups leak for me because I apparently have an astonishingly short vagina and these cups are a bit too big so any sort of bearing down at all, like a cough or sneeze, will cause a leak from a cup with accumulation.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #5
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would have cramps akin to back labor before. I have had one time that I had cramps with the diva and there is a slight possibility there was an early miscarriage that month because i was a week late.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

when i switched to cloth my cramps got sooo soo much better. i only had a few cycles with a cup to compare, and wasn't all that great with it yet (there is a definite learning curve with a cup!!) but i did like using it.

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-04-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #7
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

When I first switched to a cup/cloth, my cramps got way better and AF got shorter - 3-4 days instead of 5-6 days.
In the beginning, it can be helpful to empty your cup every time you go to the bathroom. That way you get an idea of how often you really need to empty it...or how long you can let it go. It's really not that big of a deal. It's not like pads/tampons where you want to change them less often because each change costs you $$$. Instead you have the FREEDOM to change/empty as often as you want - even times when you really don't *need* to.

Check out MeLuna. They have lots of different sizes and colors! Somewhere I posted comparison pics of MeLuna & Diva. I'll see if I can dig them up again.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Here it is. MeLuna large, Diva 2, MeLuna XL

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle

Last edited by Singingmom; 04-05-2014 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Removing a link :)
cro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cro For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-05-2014), HomeWithMyBabies (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I love my cup One of the best purchases I've ever made I've never been a big fan of tampons, but I used them regularly before because they were at least better than disposable pads.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #9
Hopetobe
Rose Garden

Hopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond reputeHopetobe has a reputation beyond repute

Before having kids, I got the Divacup. I had issues with it like it didn't seem squishy enough for me to hold folded to get it in when I tried. After having ds, I researched more and found out there were many other cup options. I had it narrowed down to two, I think the Ladycup and Lunette. I found a deal I liked for cloth pantiliners and a Lunette, so I got that one. The Lunette I could hold together in the punch down fold I think it is called. And, I could get it in, but for some reason I had some trouble getting it right and it did seem like it made cramps worse than just cloth pads, but possibly less than tampons had (I hadn't realized tampons did that, but looking back it appears that they did or things changed with my body fir some reason). However, it didn't seem like it was in correctly and I only got to try like once or twice. Now I've had DD and recently PPAF came. I decided to try the Lunette again, just a little bit 2-3 days in. The first time this go round, I didn't have it far enough in, so it was poking me. But, I tried it again and it was comfortable and no added cramps. I'll have to try it right away next time, but I think it might be the way for me to go.

It depends on the cup size, but you may be able to go longer between emptying than with a pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrea INTP, DYT 4/1
Wife to B ~9yrs
Mom to
E 3yo & L 1yo
10/13/09
Hopetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
mamamonkey
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I Batman!

mamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond reputemamamonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I love my cup too. I had a Diva for awhile and kept getting pinched by the stem. So, I switched to a MeLuna with no stem. And I pink sparkly heart love it.

I have less cramps with the cup. I also have less heavy flow than I do with tampons. I wear cloth pantyliners as back up b/c I'm paranoid (haven't had a major leak though).
to the spider monkey (6)
to the orangutan (17)
and to Piper Bee (the capuchin's twin) 10/14
mamamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #11
Bumblebee
Rose Bush

Bumblebee is a jewel in the roughBumblebee is a jewel in the roughBumblebee is a jewel in the roughBumblebee is a jewel in the rough

I went right from cloth pads to the cup too (have never used a tampon) and I had no issues with discomfort I don't typically have heavy periods but I haven't experienced leak issues very often either...maybe once or twice but that was likely bad positioning
Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
MomtoJGJ
Deactivated

MomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond reputeMomtoJGJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you get a diva cup I would suggest turning it inside out. That way the stem doesn't bother you.
MomtoJGJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MomtoJGJ For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I have to empty my Diva cup in two hours. My flow is heavy. My sister can wear hers for 12 hours.

It doesn't affect cramping. I haven't cramped in 7 years. I went to 12 sessions of acupuncture, and I haven't cramped since.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-06-2014), Hopetobe (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I have no cramping when I use a cup or cloth. I have a Diva and have no complaints but I've never tried another brand. Since turning 40, I have had some crazy heavy days where I had to empty my cup every 30-60 minutes. On those days I wore a cloth pad in addition. A cup holds much more than a pad so I'm guessing you can go at least twice as long as you would with a pad. Otherwise, I don't haves issues with leaking, although there is a learning curve, like someone mentioned. I wore a cloth pad the first few cycles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Last edited by Soliloquy; 04-06-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-06-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
when i switched to cloth my cramps got sooo soo much better. i only had a few cycles with a cup to compare, and wasn't all that great with it yet (there is a definite learning curve with a cup!!) but i did like using it.
I love my diva. I haven't had any leakage problems with it. I did trim the stem so it wouldn't bother me.

Feel free to visit my little nook
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote