Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
satin.mama
Rose Bush

satin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to all
Default Traumatized by a migraine

Hey everyone,

It seems really unreal to me to be back in the "land of the living," and I still feel kind of woozy, but I *think* my migraine that began on Tuesday is finally gone. It's a really long story, but I have never had that much pain in my life, nor that many drugs in the span of a few days. Also never rode in an ambulance before! Not nice "firsts."

A few questions:

1. I am breastfeeding. What can I take for prevention? I've heard of 400 mg per day of B2, which my doctor mentioned, but upon researching it, it sounds like Dr Hale et al don't recommend it during nursing. My doctor also mentioned magnesium, but she didn't know how much was OK. Anyone have experience with this?

2. It might sound silly, but I really think I might be somewhat traumatized. I reacted badly to one of the pain drugs in my IV at the hospital, I couldn't nurse my daughter for 36 hours, and most of all there was just SO MUCH intolerable pain it made me go a bit crazy. I came home on Thursday night, and for two nights I'd sleep a couple hours and then lie awake for most of the rest of the night, anxiously reliving the hospital experience and worrying that the migraine would come back. (It did try a few times - so I just kept taking drugs like a crazy person at the first sign of it.) Do I need to go for counselling or something? I am so at the thought of this ever happening again.

3. My husband had to take 4 days off work and watch our kids himself for 5 days. I really hope I can get up and help some today, because he is so worn down and exhausted and I feel guilty for not using drugs sooner (which is why it got so bad) so that he wouldn't have had to deal with all this. Not that I knew it would happen, but I still think he's having trouble forgiving me.

Thanks for listening. A couple good things have come out of this - I've gotten some perspective - you know how you get bogged down in daily cares and worries? Now I figure I can handle anything as long as I don't have a migraine like that! Also very thankful for our medical system!
cbmk4 (03-09-2014), Codi (03-09-2014), Llee (03-09-2014), Love_Is_Patient (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traumatized by a migraine

I have no idea. Just . I get migraines, too. I am helped by eating a very low fat vegan diet and using do terra's past tense when I feel one coming on. I have never had one likeyou described, but I wouldn't go to counseling unless your trauma persists. Your reaction is normal. It should also get bettter with time. If not you could consider counseling.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (03-09-2014), satin.mama (03-09-2014), WanderingJuniper (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #3
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds awful! Many commiserations! ITU about treating as soon as you suspect. AFA the trauma and counselling, I'd give it a few weeks and see how you feel then.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marrae For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I have no answers or experience, but that sounds awful. I hope you continue to feel better as the day goes on.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds horrible. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Did they at least put you in one of those little quiet rooms or were you stuck in the rows of beds?

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

Found a reference for you with tables of meds used for migraine during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I am just on my phone now but will be happy to come back later with some more references if you think that would be helpful.

Hugs! As another migraine sufferer, I can empathize!
http://www.mysurgerywebsite.co.uk/we...y_jffprhc_2007[1].pdf
cbmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014), sweetpeasmommy (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
satin.mama
Rose Bush

satin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to allsatin.mama is a name known to all

cbmk4, unfortunately that link doesn't work for me. ?? But thank you! I'd love such resources.

Sparrow, unfortunately I didn't even get a bed in the row of beds - it was so busy that I was in a recliner chair in a tiny room of 3 recliner chairs off the emerg waiting room all day. But thankful I could partially rest my head and not have to sit up in the waiting room chairs for too long.

Aerynne, can you tell me about the "Past Tense" oil you use? We just got a doTERRA rep in our town, so I've been meaning to look into them anyway. You find that helps migraines?

Thank you so much for your comments, mamas!
Old 03-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #8
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

cbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond reputecbmk4 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that. Don't know what went wrong with that link. Here are some more:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/803021_1

http://www.mysurgerywebsite.co.uk/we...y_JFFPRHC_2007[1].pdf

For some reason, I can't get that second link to work, maybe because it's a pdf. If you Google "migraine prophylaxis breadtfeeding" it comes up as one of the first 5 hits.

Last edited by cbmk4; 03-09-2014 at 02:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014), sweetpeasmommy (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #9
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Oh A! Those recliners are awful.

If it happens again we're just 5 minutes from the hospital. Give me a call, maybe I can at least come down and pray for you or just sit with you

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #10
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry. I have no migraine experience but can pray you find long term relief.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Give it time. Migraines are horrible. After more than a decade of living with migraines on a multiple a week basis I do have anxiety about them now that I 'be been living without for more than a year. Even a normal headache gives me panic.
Take some time to continue to recover. Even after a migraine it came take a few days to get your body back to full function. And most importantly forgive yourself for having them and your husband doing what a husband and father needs to do when his wife is sick.
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
treehugginmama
Rose Trellis

treehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond reputetreehugginmama has a reputation beyond repute

Migraines are horrible. I get panic attacks when I.get one because the pain is just so horrible. I have found magnesium without calcium(the calcium should be taken at a different.time) and ubiquinol to be a great preventative.
Completing our family June 2014
www.placentaencapsulationservices.com
treehugginmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to treehugginmama For This Useful Post:
cbmk4 (03-09-2014), satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #13
cbmk4
Rose Garden

INTJ

I took riboflavin while pregnant for headache prevention. I am currently taking CoQ 10 for prevention. (Neither one completely prevents them but does seem to decrease the frequency and intensity.)

Exercise, adequate sleep and meditation and relaxation techniques also help me.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbmk4 For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #14
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by satin.mama View Post
cbmk4, unfortunately that link doesn't work for me. ?? But thank you! I'd love such resources.

Sparrow, unfortunately I didn't even get a bed in the row of beds - it was so busy that I was in a recliner chair in a tiny room of 3 recliner chairs off the emerg waiting room all day. But thankful I could partially rest my head and not have to sit up in the waiting room chairs for too long.

Aerynne, can you tell me about the "Past Tense" oil you use? We just got a doTERRA rep in our town, so I've been meaning to look into them anyway. You find that helps migraines?

Thank you so much for your comments, mamas!
It is a roll on, like deodorant but smaller. I rub it on the side that is hurting, from my forehead along my hairline around to my neck. It takes a few minutes to start working. It works better when a migraine is starting so I keep one in my purse as well. It usually knocks it out completely. I've also had some success with using Icy Hot the same way. If you want to buy the past tense, join doTerra so you can get it wholesale. I hate MLM's in principle, but the oil helps and that's how you have to get it. It's $18 per bottle and I go through about six bottles a year. Well worth it though it doesn't always work, but usually does. Used it today and I don't have a migraine anymore.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
satin.mama (03-09-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I just started using Past Tense and am amazed. Truly. I had very low expectations but it stops our headaches and migraines. Like Aerynne wrote, it works best if you apply it as soon as you suspect one is starting. There have been times when I've been away from home and couldn't apply it until it had been going for several hours. It still improved my symptoms by about 90%. I'm going to order a second one to keep in my purse. Just be very careful to keep it well away from your eyes. I wasn't careful one time. Ouch!

I don't get tension headaches but it works on those too, at least on my dh and a few friends.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote