Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #256
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bone Broth 101

I have yet another batch going. I finally got the soup bones from the beef order but I'm using what I already had first. I love the smell.
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #257
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I had a broth going for 2 days and finally dipped it up today. Big honkin' beef leg that the butcher was kind enough to section off into 5 sections so it would fit into our 5L crock.

I get really sick of the smell though after a day of it cooking. I don't know why either.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #258
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the smell too and I'm dreading having to make some more....I'm down to my last ziplock bag of cubes!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #259
Glitterfish
Rose Garden

That's not grey in my hair, it's glitter growing from my head. Duh. (formerly of the sstarcake variety)

Glitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond reputeGlitterfish has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have any outbuildings that have electricity? I would put the old crockpot out in the garage and let it bubble away! Until we started using our woodstove this season, I would put the crockpot out in the mudroom w/ the door shut to the rest of the house.

And does anyone have any thoughts on the question I asked awhile back? Does doing "perpetual broth" (replacing broth that's taken out w/ water) decrease the nutritional value?

Punky
Peanut
Stinker
two we never got to hold
and one due in May 2015

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!". ~Mythbusters
Glitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glitterfish For This Useful Post:
Stiina (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #260
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea, but the outbuildings aren't critter-proof and we'd have coyotes and raccoons slurping up all my broth.

Sorry for not responding. I don't think it would decrease the nutritional value, because the more your bones break down, the more nutrients are coming out,yk? When the broth starts fading in colour then you know the bones are "running out of juice" iykwim.

When I do perpetual broth I still let it simmer for 24 hours before I take out any more broth. And it was so concentrated for at least a week that it made that Beef Jello I talked about earlier in the thread. It stopped making jelly after about a week and was definitely fading by the 11-day, mark, though, and that's when I stopped.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
Glitterfish (11-20-2012), HadassahSukkot (11-20-2012), The Tickle Momster (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #261
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

I did my last batch using chicken carcass. I swapped out broth about every 12 hours. It still looked rich and yummy.

I've had it in my fridge in jars for a week. Forgot to bag it up after it cooled. Is it still good?

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #262
JenLovie
Deactivated

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

I need a 2nd crock pot.
The Following User Says Thank You to JenLovie For This Useful Post:
The Tickle Momster (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #263
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

ditto to Stiina. I add water that's evaporated to keep my broth going. By the time it's done, it is THICK as the dickens. . . you pretty much have to water it down a little after reheating - there is that much goody in there. The fat layer on it is about 1/4 in thick in each mason jar. DH drinks about a liter a day, so if he keeps up with it, come Friday, I'll need more bones for the weekend.

TTM - how does the broth smell?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #264
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
ditto to Stiina. I add water that's evaporated to keep my broth going. By the time it's done, it is THICK as the dickens. . . you pretty much have to water it down a little after reheating - there is that much goody in there. The fat layer on it is about 1/4 in thick in each mason jar. DH drinks about a liter a day, so if he keeps up with it, come Friday, I'll need more bones for the weekend.

TTM - how does the broth smell?
Haven't smelled it. My fridge is on the colder side. I'm thinking it's probably ok. Need to make some boiling soup or something in the next few days.

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #265
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

I just stuck my turkey neck in the crockpot. The gravy will be amazing this year
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #266
Happygrl
Rose Garden

Happygrl has disabled reputation

I ended up with about 8qts of chicken broth before I was tired of dealing with it and tossed it.

A friend just mentioned that she has some bones from a grass-fed beef coop she does, so I am going to try to get them this weekend so I can make some beef broth next.

Wife to Jim 01/08/00
Mama to Elizabeth 10/01/04, Benjamin 01/27/08 and Matthew 04/25/10

Facebook
Happygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happygrl For This Useful Post:
JenLovie (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #267
EMama
Rose Bouquet

EMama is a glorious beacon of lightEMama is a glorious beacon of lightEMama is a glorious beacon of lightEMama is a glorious beacon of lightEMama is a glorious beacon of lightEMama is a glorious beacon of light

I started my first batch with just chicken feet. I didn't remove the talons, so I hope it works.

and I, 3 years

EMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #268
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

I don't see why it wouldn't...
Old 11-23-2012, 05:28 AM   #269
JenLovie
Deactivated

Turkey carcas went from roasting pan directly into crockpot. It smells amazing.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #270
raining_kisses
Deactivated

..a little child, born yesterday, A thing on mother's milk and kisses fed... ~"Hymn to Mercury"

raining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond reputeraining_kisses has a reputation beyond repute

I think turkey broth smells funny. Chicken broth smells better. I can't wait to hear the remarks from DH when he wakes up (is not a turkey fan).
raining_kisses is offline   Reply With Quote