Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 01-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
Redeemed
Rose Trellis

Redeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond reputeRedeemed has a reputation beyond repute
Question Gentle Discipline and ABA therapy

DS1 is autistic. When he was first dx, he was pretty high functioning, now he seems to be moderately functioning in a behavioral sense. He has a re-evaluation in a month. He will also be doing ABA therapy specifically for the ODD like behavior.

How can we integrate ABA therapy with gentle parenting?

Child of God since 07/1982.
Wife to Bryan, my best friend and retired soldier, since 06/2014.

Mom to DD (02/1998), DS1 (08/2006), and DS2 (01/2009).
Two w/Jesus (05/2001) and (12/2004).
Stepmom to DSD (06/2007) and DSS (04/2009).
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #2
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gentle Discipline and ABA therapy

We do ABA with J and it has been life-changing. Biomed has helped his body be healthier and his mind work better, but ABA is increasing his receptive language and giving him skills that he otherwise wouldn't be learning.

We have had both a bad behaviorist and a good one, and I can tell you that a bad behaviorist can be a very bad thing, but if you have a good one then ABA and gentle parenting should not be at odds with one another. Yes, there is a lot of "I hear your protests, but it's not going to get you out of doing this thing that you need to do," but that's a helpful life lesson anyway.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

The things i have heard about ABA leave me not comfortable with it and not something we chose to use.

While there were some things that I was adamant that my child would do - with or without my help - they were things related to safety, and literally non-negotiable things. When it came to other things I was more focused on honoring him as a person, giving him a voice, and earning his trust.

It has been very worth it in every area.

There are times where I would have appreciated more help, and it's good to hear that someone had a good experience with it, but that is not what I normally hear.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #4
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it depends on their level of functioning? J is pretty low functioning, and this is the only way he's finally started to learn basic things like responding to his name, stop, come here, etc. We are going to be working soon on elopement and noncompliance, because they are both BIG safety issues for him.

But my amazing friend/behaviorist has two higher functioning boys and ABA has without a doubt changed the course of their lives. She's done very minimal biomed, and both of her boys have lost their diagnoses. She still uses ABA principles in her homeschooling and to work with her boys on higher level tasks like working memory and conversation skills. One was asperger's and one was kind of middle of the road functioning, I guess.

I guess for our family, doing ABA with J *is* honoring him as a person, giving him a voice, and earning his trust. Because he's learning to understand us and communicate with us instead of just being swept along through life with no understanding of what's happening and no voice.

ETA: I avoided ABA for 3 years after J was first diagnosed because of the things I'd read about it here on GCM, and it's without exaggeration one of my biggest regrets ever. I feel like with the progress he's making now, he could be so much farther if we'd done this from the beginning. Do what *you* feel is best for *your* family and child.
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde

Last edited by MrsHutch; 01-29-2015 at 10:52 AM.
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

i was an ABA therapist many years ago, like 15??? almost , anyway i can't think of a single thing i did with any of my kids that would be contrary to gentle discipline, so i am actually over what would be problematic

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houseforjoy For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

It can be done punitively. Things like withholding attention or affection until the child complies. Not all therapists do these things and you can certainly not consent to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #7
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

The approach of the BSC or other professional you are working with is very important. Consistency is key, you will need to be on the same page with your team, so be clear about your expectations and your parenting philosophy. Positive discipline is pretty widely accepted among professionals at this point, and if the person you are working with does not have that background or agree to respect your philosophy, a more up to date provider should be available.

I have worked doing ABA with children with special needs prior to having my own kids. I chose to use some of the same tools with my kids with s/n (visuals for example) but did not see the need for a behaviorist approach. IMO having done it myself, it would not be my first choice outside of severe situations as it is very intense hard work. If other methods might reap the same benefits with less effort I would rather try those first. However I have seen some amazing positive changes in young children on the low functioning end of the spectrum through ABA.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Redeemed (01-29-2015), sweetpeasmommy (01-29-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
praise2God
Seedling Rose

praise2God is on a distinguished road

I don't know much about ABA but am wanting to learn more. I've heard good and bad but not really anything specific. My daughter is likely on the spectrum and is being evaluated.
praise2God is offline   Reply With Quote