Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #211
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Diatomacious Earth ( DE ) thread :)

Thanks, that's a good idea to start with a little and work up to the full dose. DE is such a simple, benign substance that I forget about the need to let your digestive system adjust gradually when you first start taking it.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #212
FamilyLove
Rose Bouquet

FamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to all

I've read this entire thread twice now. Very interesting. I've been taking DE for 2 days now, and both days I have gotten a raging headache within about 30 minutes of taking it. Did anyone experience this or have a guess as to the cause?
The Following User Says Thank You to FamilyLove For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013)
Old 01-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #213
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

my guess would be that you are detoxing

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cobluegirl For This Useful Post:
FamilyLove (01-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #214
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think DE causes detoxification? Kombucha causes your body to release stored toxins, and to some degree lemon juice does as well. But not a clay substance, I don't think. Normally you would take a clay (therapeutic-grade calcium bentonite being a good one) along with the detoxifiying agent so the clay will absorb the toxins being released. Because if you detox without taking a clay, then toxins will be released into your system and give you headaches. But if you are taking a clay or DE along with your detoxifying agent (kombucha or whatever) then the clay absorbs the toxins and you don't feel so bad.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013), FamilyLove (01-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #215
FamilyLove
Rose Bouquet

FamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to allFamilyLove is a name known to all

Well, I haven't started anything other than DE recently, so if it doesn't cause detox then maybe I should just stop taking it. The mystery headaches have me worried. I even got bloodshot eyes during the worst of it.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #216
Taedareth
Rose Garden

How much are you taking? I'd suggest going off of it for just a day or two, and seeing how you feel. Then begin taking 1 tsp per day for 1-2 days and see how it goes. Increase to 2 tsp per day etc. until you reach your desired dosage (typically 1 or 2 Tbsp per day for adults).

Did you see the links a couple pages ago with info on how DE works in your body? It does draw toxins and bacteria into the core of the DE particle, allowing you to safely pass them out of your body.

Oh and another thing DE can do is gently loosen old crud from your intestines, so that it can get be pushed out during normal colon action. The impacted fecal matter is a problem because it lines the intestinal wall and prevents your body from absorbing all the nutrients out of your food. Also since it's made of rotting material, it is a constant source of toxins. So when you finally begin removing the crud from your intestinal wall, I guess you could say it's like stirring up old toxic matter. Like sweeping a dusty attic that has be untouched for years! So maybe that's the source of your detox-like symptoms. Although hmmm... I would have thought it would take more than 2 days to start doing that. But I'm no expert.

Anyway, back off and then go slowly. HTH

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013), FamilyLove (01-23-2011), me (01-24-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #217
FamilyLove
Rose Bouquet

Thank you for helping me. I'm going to do exactly what you describe. Stop for now and start very, very slowly when I start again. I had started at a tsp, so I guess I'll go down to 1/2 or even 1/4 tsp and work up from there. I haven't done a cleanse for years since I've either been pregnant or nursing, so maybe my body just can't handle much right now.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #218
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Oh my, you were getting headaches within 30 minutes of taking just one tsp? Can I ask what exactly the label says? I am concerned about the quality of this DE. You want the kind that says "Fossil Shell Flour, Perma-Guard, Food Grade." If that's definitely what you have, then perhaps we need to look at time of day, whether you're taking it with food or on an empty stomach, etc.

Or another option would be to wait on taking DE until you're further along in your cleansing process. Might want to start with taking a small amount of therapeutic clay daily for a few months first. If so, get the Earth's Living Clay brand calcium bentonite. It is more effective by far than conventional brands available at health food stores. That's the kind I use, because if I'm going to eat dirt, then I need to know for sure that it's doing something good for me http://earthslivingclay.com/TLC_PRODUCTS.HTM

Last edited by Taedareth; 01-23-2011 at 05:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (05-07-2013), FamilyLove (01-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #219
FamilyLove
Rose Bouquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taedareth View Post
Oh my, you were getting headaches within 30 minutes of taking just one tsp? Can I ask what exactly the label says? I am concerned about the quality of this DE. You want the kind that says "Fossil Shell Flour, Perma-Guard, Food Grade." If that's definitely what you have, then perhaps we need to look at time of day, whether you're taking it with food or on an empty stomach, etc.
It definitely doesn't say exactly that. It reads "100% diatomaceous earth, food grade." And then in finer print it says, "Repackaged with permission of Perma-Guard." I assumed that last part meant that it was perma-guard, just distributed by someone else. Maybe that was a bad assumption. I've been taking it first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #220
Taedareth
Rose Garden

You're exactly right, that's the good stuff

Hmm. Well, in your situation I think I'd go with a couple months of clay before starting DE. But if you want to try the DE again, maybe try mixing it into a breakfast smoothie?

The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
FamilyLove (01-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #221
LorenP

I sieved the food grade DE that I bought, and it is much better now. I was left with a little container of DE covered rocks. Finer grade stuff isn't available at the moment because of all the flooding in Nth Qld. Still, ours is food grade and we haven't had any bad symptoms.

DH cant stand taking it but he has serious food texture issues!! I ended up adding his to a SC Diet Brownie recipe and he likes that much better. Have to say - I like them too!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #222
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Start slow and make sure you POO PEOPLE!! ROTFL ......as in atleast 1 to 2 times a day. de can kill things that give off toxins in your body once they are dead. And also the whole sloughing off of yuckness. You want to remove that kind of stuff.
I love this guys series on the importance of pooping,lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZCoOwn0Jo
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #223
homesteadmama
Rose Trellis

homesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond reputehomesteadmama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post
Start slow and make sure you POO PEOPLE!! ROTFL ......as in atleast 1 to 2 times a day. de can kill things that give off toxins in your body once they are dead. And also the whole sloughing off of yuckness. You want to remove that kind of stuff.
I love this guys series on the importance of pooping,lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZCoOwn0Jo
Oh my WORD!!!! I still can't stop laughing over that poop video!!

Sarah, INFJ
Wife to M since 1/04
Mommy to S (1/07), W (1/09), S (1/11)~My UC baby, and A (12/14), Another UC baby
, Baby-Wearing, , Cloth Diapering, , Traditional Foods Family
My blog
homesteadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #224
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

LOL oh my word.... However he doesn't go into healthy vs. toxic poop..... My kids have great poop....

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #225
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Oh my word, do we need to start a spinoff thread on the subject of pooping? I can't watch online videos due to bandwidth limitations. Can someone post a few relevant comments about the video?