Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default new dishwasher

Ours died, and after further investigating, it is 15 years old. Not worth fixing since the life span is 12-15 years. Anyone have any tips or things to look for? I know we could buy a used one for much cheaper. Downside is no warranty if anything goes wrong. How hard are they to install? Dh has zero time to work on it, and I'm not handy with these things but we also have a lot of expenses right now and were not planning on a new dishwasher.
Anyone recently bought a dishwasher?
Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new dishwasher

We got a new dishwasher a couple of years ago and my dh installed it. It took some time, but wasn't difficult. If cost is a concern, check the scratch and dent section or an outlet if you have one. Or look at floor models. You'll get a better deal and probably the warranty as well. Dishwashers are probably the least expensive of the kitchen appliances. A new fridge is easily 2k, but you should be able to get a decent dishwasher for $300.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
esperanza (07-25-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #3
greendelight
Rose Trellis

greendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant future

When we replaced ours a few years ago, it seemed like the only real decision to make was if you want a plastic interior of stainless (costs a good bit more).
greendelight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greendelight For This Useful Post:
esperanza (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

stainless interior leads to fewer spots on your dishes. Worth it if you can afford it!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
esperanza (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:15 PM   #5
greendelight
Rose Trellis

greendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant future

(We ended up going with the stainless.)
greendelight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greendelight For This Useful Post:
esperanza (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

My dh has installed multiple dishwashers over the years. Especially if you're replacing a current dishwasher it's a fairly straightforward installation because all the right plumbing and connections are already existing. That said, I truly cannot speak to the simplicity of the installation since my job each time has been to keep the kids away from the installation.

For budget purposes, like a pp mentioned, we usually buy marked down floor models or scratch and dent, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
esperanza (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My next door neighbor just replaced his 2,000 dishwasher. When he plugged the new one in, he realized the old dishwasher wasn't broken....the breaker had just flipped.

Ooops.

He's selling his perfectly good old one for $150. I told him I'd buy it! (stainless inside)
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #8
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We had a brand-new, highly rated $500 dishwasher die on us after only 18 months. Repair man very kindly didn't charge us for the two trips to our house because it needed a whole new control panel and we were better off buying a new one.

So, this last time we bought the extended warranty from Home Depot.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #9
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the input! I'm pretty sure this one's dead. The lights go on and it whirs, but it doesn't get started. Repair guy said it was probably the pump.
I'm going to do some research online before we go shopping this weekend. I hadn't thought of Home Depot, so I'll add that to my list.
I'm usually skeptical of extended warranties. I feel like they're just money makers for the stores.... Isn't that what Dave Ramsey says?

I also started looking at the other appliances. Fridge, oven, and microwave are all from 2003 or 2004. Yikes. There's a little part of me that would love to get stainless, but it would look funny to have just the dishwasher in stainless. (Side note, is it cheaper to get white than stainless?) I'm sure there are package deals, but it would be tons of money to replace everything. Mostly I worry about the fridge, since when that goes, you have to replace it immediately. The microwave has long outlived its lifespan. Seems like the others could last a few more years. Of course the washer and dryer are getting old too... Ahhhh!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

We just got a new stove and stainless was actually (about $200) less expensive. My parents also just bought a new fridge and found the same thing - stainless was several hundred dollars less. Definitely ask, but be prepared!
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
esperanza
Rose Garden

Really?! Oh man. I figured white would be cheaper since everyone wants stainless steel! Rats! Just looking quickly on the Best Buy website, seems like the price is the same for any color. There are some good deals on open box, which I'm a little surprised they list on the website (but only available in store). But those seem to be just stainless steel, which I guess makes sense if that's what they are showing in the store.

Also my mom is convinced that installing it ourselves is a terrible idea and that we will do something wrong and flood the house. Anyone else done it themselves?
Old 07-28-2016, 02:15 AM   #12
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

As to the price difference in the colour, it totally depends. Often white is cheaper, but not always. It just depends on what they have in inventory and how fast they want to see it moved.

Mismatched appliances are really only an issue when it comes time to sell your house. So if I were you, this is how I'd look at it. Are you planning to sell your house in the near future? If so, then go with the same colour as the other appliances and call it good. If not, are you planning to long term stick with your current colour or hoping to eventually switch to stainless or another colour? If so, buy the needed appliance in the new colour, with the knowledge that in the future you will be replacing the other appliances in that colour.

Personally, we never ever ever get extended warranties on anything. Although there are definitely some horror stories that make having them a good pay out, we feel that for us they are not worth the cost. Obviously that's something with a wide variance of opinion and it's a matter of determining whether it's worth the cost for you.

Very honestly, I wouldn't replace other appliances just because they are getting older. If you are really worried, set the money aside so that you can replace them should you need to. But thats A LOT of money to pay to replace something that may or may not need replacing...

As for installation, dealing with water does make a flooding concern legit. When dh installed our most recent dishwasher, he had some problems with the connection and there was a leak back behind the dishwasher. If it were just me, I probably wouldn't have noticed it until it became big enough of a problem that the water was leaking elsewhere (since it was beside the cupboards). Fortunately he knew enough to watch that sort of thing right away and replaced it with no problem. If you do a self installation, run it a few times and make sure to check all connections and the flooring around and behind it to make sure there is no water leakage.

How much do the stores charge for installation right now? Do you know? Sometimes it's reasonable.