Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #1
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute
Default chemo and food

We have a friend who will be going through a lot of chemo in the next couple of weeks. I am trying to google some sites to give me some information on foods to make/provide for this family.

if you have been there, done this sort of thing...please pass me your cooking sites or fav ideas.

I really want to fill their freezer.

the people I will be cooking for is a husband/wife team. The wife is the one in therapy.

thank you.
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: chemo and food

That is so nice of you. Have you asked the family what they like to eat? As far as I know, their regular diet would continue. The wife might prefer bland foods in case the chemo makes her nauseous.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Learned this in school-

people on chemo need lots of calories, so load them up with preferably healthy calories

they won't necessarily have good appetites so calorie-dense is good

chemo can cause mouth sores, so avoiding spicy foods and crunchy foods could be good until you find out if this will be the case

40% of people who die of cancer actually die not from the cancer but from malnutrition, so keeping her fed may save her life.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Can Dance (02-13-2011)
Old 02-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you SO much! I actually knew nothing, but at least I managed to bump it at a good time.

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
FaithfilledGranolaChick

So sweet of you! I think what Linda said, google "macrobiotics recipes", soups, comfort foods. veggie lasanga, black bean chili, stuffed green peppers, chicken and yellow rice... asian style foods.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

mouth sores are a biggie. Definitely they don't feel hungry so it should be appetizing food. Things they can 'pick' at. A roast chicken is good. If you're doing soups, I'd go for cream based blended ones, plenty of calories not a lot of work. Go with things they're comfortable with if you can.
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

My mom just finished up a round of chemo, and she said the only thing that tasted good right after the chemo was raspberry tea. I know it's not terribly nutritious, but she said that even water tasted awful (metallic). She couldn't choke anything down except that tea. She didn't realize that she could buy it at the store and was at Sonic every afternoon. So maybe a couple different flavors of drinks to help with water consumption.
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mert For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
teamommy
Rose Garden

Spring!

teamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond reputeteamommy has a reputation beyond repute

healthy foods, probably bland. Whatever she likes to eat.

Most people tend to gain weight during chemotherapy, surprisingly. I wouldn't make foods any richer than normal.
teamommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
lmgeenw
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lmgeenw has disabled reputation

My mom went through chemo several years ago and the only thing she seemed to consistency be able to hold down was GT kombucha. It might be a little far out there for some people, but it was a lifesaver for my mom!

Wife to DH since 1999
Momma to 3 awesome kiddos
IBCLC and postpartum doula in private practice
lmgeenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

thank you so much for all of the great ideas.

her update is that she has stage three breast cancer and will be getting chemo once every three weeks...i don't know if this is the new thing?....

anyway, so, I may make some bland foods...and fill her up with some smoothie items for those days...I read that some may enjoy that?

and then make a few meals for the days after.

I was thinking of some nice one pot dishes that could be frozen and then put in the oven rather easily.

also, does all chemo cause one to loose their hair?
I am considering making her a knitted hat.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, chemo will cause her to lose her hair.

I think in a lot of ways it's somewhat like morning sickness in that what sounds good to one person may not sound good to another, and you never know what will do the trick for somebody.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
swimming with sharks (02-13-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprout View Post
her update is that she has stage three breast cancer and will be getting chemo once every three weeks...i don't know if this is the new thing?....
This was my Mom's experience. The first week is really bad in the food and drink department. Seems like the metallic taste diminishes quite a bit for the 2nd and 3rd weeks. My mom isn't a big eater as it is, but she was able to eat smaller amounts of her regular meals during the latter weeks.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Statistics say that only 2% of people doing this sort of chemo won't lose their hair. Apparently the breast cancer chemo is pretty strong.
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:53 PM   #13
thrillofhope
Deactivated

thrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond reputethrillofhope has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about calorie dense foods but I know there's some conflict about that, so I'd be sure to ask them first. For my dad, my grandma added things like heavy cream to macaroni, so even if he could only eat a bite or two he still got some calories, you know?

Is she doing radiation, too? Sometimes that makes food taste bland.
thrillofhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:15 PM   #14
sprout
Rose Garden

radiation won't be done until later.

she starts with chemo apparently.

surgery is being held off as well.

all I can do is pray and help make some meals so I want to help in the best way possible.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #15
itzj
Rose Trellis

itzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond reputeitzj has a reputation beyond repute

My mother liked lots of soup (kinds with pasta or barley, preferably not cream based because it made her feel sicker) and bread. Pastas and rices were also good. You could also include some snacks, like bananas and saltines.

We got sick of lasagna. Everyone sent it.

Also, depending on what kind of chemo she's getting, sometimes the mouth sores can be prevented or lessened by sucking a popsicle (or ice) as she gets the medicine. We used to bring them in a cooler and shared with the whole room. You might want to get some and add a note. I'm pretty sure it was during her AC rounds.

and tiny turtle DS 2012
itzj is offline   Reply With Quote