Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Breads / Muffins *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #346
jewelmcjem
Deactivated

I knew u were trouble when u walked in . . . Tribble, Tribble, Tribble

jewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond reputejewelmcjem has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BREAD REVOLUTION!!! (pic and link included) (Video added in OP)

Oh, I'm so glad someone brought this thread back up! I kept hearing about the bread revolution thingy but just never did a search on it! Bookmarking NOW!
jewelmcjem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #347
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Did you know that they have a new whole grain cookbook out now? I put that on hold at the library too, but there are also 17 people with holds for that book. Probably the same ones as for the other book.
There is also a pizza and flatbread book but it is not even at my library yet.
But there are some recipees on their site: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/
I want to make the pizza lollipops!
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #348
AndiRoo

I just got my first loaf out of the oven!! Spectacular!! Thanks so much for the link!!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #349
Mert
Rose Garden

Mert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond reputeMert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
I want to make the pizza lollipops!
Me, too! I've been checking out the blog, too. I'm newly inspired!!
Mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #350
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

My first loaf is in the oven as I am typing this...unfortunately its upside down. LOL! It flipped off the cutting board rather than sliding off so I'm betting its not going to look pretty but man it is smelling really good.
Teribear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:26 PM   #351
Kazimiera
Rose Bouquet

I am no longer an ostrich

Kazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud ofKazimiera has much to be proud of

Looks don't matter if it tastes yummy.

It is pronounced: Kazj-MERE-rah
Talking to a secular audience about spiritual matters is like doing card tricks on the radio.

-Mary Carr
Kazimiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #352
Naxi
Rose Bouquet

Naxi is a jewel in the roughNaxi is a jewel in the roughNaxi is a jewel in the rough

I haven't read the whole thread but I have been making bread like this.

I noticed a couple of questions along the way:

1> Do I NEED a pizza stone?

I don't have one. I use a flat black baking tray, get it really hot in the oven and use it the same way as a pizza stone. It works great! (I also use baking paper to help the bread slide onto it

2> Do I HAVE to refrigerate the dough?

No, you don't. You can bake bread after the initial 2 hours. The only thing is then it takes you more than 5 minutes to make the next loaf. I also heard you can freeze the dough, so maybe you can rest it for two hours, divide into loaf size pieces and freeze them. No guarantees on that one, but it might be worth trying.

Now I have a question for all you experienced Mummas - has anyone succeeded in baking a bread like this in a loaf tin? I am trying to find a quick and easy recipe that will make square slices of bread for sandwiches. You don't want to know how my last experiment turned out

Thanks,

Nat!

Wife to my darling, since 2003;
and
Homeschooling Mumma to Possum (2006), Bandicoot (2008) and Sugar-Glider (Little Princess 2010)

"You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and His rule." Matthew 5:2 TMV
Naxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #353
Teribear
Deactivated

Teribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond reputeTeribear has a reputation beyond repute

So far I've made three rather ugly loaves of bread that taste amazing but won't win any beauty prizes and a batch of cinnamon rolls that my family is still talking about three days later. Right now I have a batch of garlic rolls in the oven that are smelling heavenly.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #354
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teribear View Post
So far I've made three rather ugly loaves of bread that taste amazing but won't win any beauty prizes and a batch of cinnamon rolls that my family is still talking about three days later. Right now I have a batch of garlic rolls in the oven that are smelling heavenly.
are you using a baking stone? are the roll recipes in the cookbook? which one? I have both on hold at the library and hope to get them within a month or maybe sooner.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #355
Teribear
Deactivated

I'm using a baking stone but when I make rolls I put them in a cake pan and sit the cake pan on top of the stone. Right now I'm using the recipes from the Mother Earth News article when the first book came out and the roll recipe is a variation on the Sticky Pecan Caramel Rolls recipe in that article. Here's the link:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...tes-A-Day.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to Teribear For This Useful Post:
believer (03-30-2010)
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #356
LisaMarie
Climbing Rose

LisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud ofLisaMarie has much to be proud of

Thanks for bringing this thread back up into life! I gave it a try and it went great. I don't have a stone, so I used a regular pan, with a silicone mat. It turned out great. Hubby just doesn't like the amount of room the bowl took in the fridge. lol. I might have to halve the recipe.
| Learning Titus 2 - my family & review blog |
LisaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #357
MamaJayne
Rose Bouquet

MamaJayne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
I haven't read the whole thread but I have been making bread like this.

I noticed a couple of questions along the way:

1> Do I NEED a pizza stone?

I don't have one. I use a flat black baking tray, get it really hot in the oven and use it the same way as a pizza stone. It works great! (I also use baking paper to help the bread slide onto it

2> Do I HAVE to refrigerate the dough?

No, you don't. You can bake bread after the initial 2 hours. The only thing is then it takes you more than 5 minutes to make the next loaf. I also heard you can freeze the dough, so maybe you can rest it for two hours, divide into loaf size pieces and freeze them. No guarantees on that one, but it might be worth trying.

Now I have a question for all you experienced Mummas - has anyone succeeded in baking a bread like this in a loaf tin? I am trying to find a quick and easy recipe that will make square slices of bread for sandwiches. You don't want to know how my last experiment turned out

Thanks,

Nat!
This makes great sandwich bread, with a few adjustments. I found these tips on the blog that the book authors keep, and I've had great success with them.

1. Use 2 lbs of dough (cantaloupe-sized) instead of 1 1/2 lbs of dough (grapefruit). I scooped it out of the bucket with an ice cream scoop and used a kitchen scale to weigh it since I have seen many different sizes of cantaloupes, and I am a bit of a perfectionist.

2. Handle it as little as possible. Since you want a nice, tall loaf, you really want to preserve those bubbles the whole way through. I try for under 30 seconds of shaping into a rectangle that is just short of the same length and just about halfway as high as my bread pan.

3. Grease (very well) a breadpan, preferably nonstick or stoneware. I use glazed stoneware, and it does great with a good greasing. Since the dough is so wet and sticky, it needs a lot of fat to release. Gently put your shaped loaf into the greased pan, and cover it loosely with plastic wrap (I use a damp towel draped over the top of the bread pan). Let it sit for 1 hour and 40 minutes. I read and re-read that one to make sure I didn't get it wrong, but since it's a larger loaf, that's what it needs.

4. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat your oven to 375. It's lower than the traditional temp because you want it to bake for longer.

5. Bake the bread for one hour. Don't use steam, if you want the softer crust of traditional sandwich bread.

6. Take the bread out and remove it from the pan. If it's sticky, let it sit for several minutes and let the steam in the bread work its magic - that will make it easier to remove. If it's a real sticker, you may want to use cornmeal in the bottom of your breadpan next time to get it out more easily.

7. Let it cool all the way before slicing, so at least an hour or two. This big loaf is especially prone to getting gummy if you slice it while it's at all warm. When it's completely cool, and you use a nice sharp serrated knife, it slices beautifully. I use the width of my index finger as a slicing guide, and it works well for good sandwich-thickness of bread.

Even before we call on Your name to ask You, O God,
When we seek for the words to glorify You, you hear our prayer;
Unceasing love, O unceasing love, surpassing all we know.
Even with darkness sealing us in, we breathe Your name
And through all the days that follow so fast,we trust in You;
Endless Your grace, O endless Your grace, beyond all mortal dream.
-Pilgrim's Prayer
MamaJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaJayne For This Useful Post:
believer (03-30-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #358
believer
Rose Garden

I finally got the first book from the library - after being on line for holds for months. I made the bagel dough on Thurs. night and made soft pretzels from it Fri. night. They were a hit but the dough was a bit hard to work with - it would not roll into nice thin rolls and I had to stretch it to try to thin it out. Tonight, it seemed easier to work with. I made Naan using the same doug and it was so easy! We ate 3 of them at dinner. Ds loved it so much that I got up and made another one while we were eating. You just pull off a chunk of dough, make a ball, roll it out round, and fry it in a cast iron skillet with a lid in ghee. It takes about 5 to 7 min and is delicious!
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
Old 04-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #359
Marzipan
Deactivated

Marzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently eating a sandwich made on my first loaf of whole wheat sandwhich bread from the second book. tasty!
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #360
SuperMama

I just read all these pages!! (over the course of a few days.)
My first loaves are getting ready to bake!!