Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:45 AM   #1
ServingGrace
Rose Blossom

ServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really niceServingGrace is just really nice
Default Homeschooling Year Round

I just posted this on a different forum, perhaps those of you who are over there as well will now ow who I am, haha. I just figured I would get some insight from some of you amazing mamas as well!

Who here homeschools year round? Do you modify one core schedule to last the year? Or do you move onto the next core father thirty six weeks?

If you school year round is it in all subjects? If not which ones and why? If y do not school year round do you do review over the summer?

Right now my kids and I are so all over the place in different subjects I think it would be odd to end in the middle of things just because that's when public school ends. I also like the idea of lessons being less structured yet part of their daily routine. Like maybe just start a new core or review it over the summer but have minimal math and language arts. Since switching to Sonlight lessons have become so enjoyable I feel like my kids would be disappointed if we had to take a summer break!
ServingGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeschooling Year Round

We school year round because I'm so relaxed about it. We're not schooling hours a day, 5 days a week, all year. More like maybe 3 days a week of bits and pieces of our 'curriculum' because we do several local nature classes and are in a hiking group that gets out about once a week. Which I consider to be educational hours. We're using Sonlight A which G is a little old for and I'm right now in the process of trying to figure out if we're just going to skip to C. I'll start the new one whenever we finish the one we're on, last year it was in June. Because there's no distinction between 'school' days and any other day or school times of year our days just flow together. If we need to travel, we just do it. I don't plan more than a few weeks in advance. I would not take a break in reading (still working on basic phonics here) or math (which we just incorporate into daily life). We do take breaks in other things sometimes depending on how a week or month is going. History especially I guess. Science comes pretty easily with all the outside time and inquisitive nature of these boys!

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
mamacat (03-05-2017), MaybeGracie (03-05-2017), ServingGrace (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

We school year round, but it still only comes out to around 180-190 days of school. We just break up our days off a lot more. During the actual school year we only do work 3-4 days a week and we take off all federal holidays since dh is off. We also usually take 3 or 4 trips out of town to state parks or to visit family during the school year. We have also taken off the month of December sometimes. We usually start our school year the first week of June and do 5 days a week for June July and August because it's too hot to do anything else anyway. That way when our Co-op and other out of the house activities start up we can relax our schedule and just do school whenever we are home.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
mamacat (03-05-2017), ServingGrace (03-05-2017), Virginia (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 09:34 AM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people school year round and really love it.If you are suppose to have a 180 day school year by state or county regulation you can loosely count those days but IMO every day is a learning day. It can look like doing less of any kind of more formal academia - smaller chunks at a time and taking days off when you like to do other thngs or for an errand day or trips

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
ServingGrace (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

yes and no...

I tend to focus June-April as our schooling months the summers are dreadfully hot here so it makes a lot more sense to school during those months and try to break before it gets too miserable...
However as my girls have gotten older and our schooling looks different we have also entered commitments along the traditional August-June months. Cecilia takes 2 courses through the local community college those follow traditional school calendars and Margaret does ballet which also has a August-June calendar.

We also find at some time life changes of plans.. Like we always end up taking more time off around Christmas than originally planned... I also find the weeks around spring break to be a bit less school focused as the weather is ideal an their school buds have different weeks off... Those times eventually need making up.

So over time I'd day we have fallen into more of a school around the year kind of family. Cecilia works at her own pace with her classes, for example she recently completed two of her courses *started in late July* and is on target to finish another in about 2 weeks. She is starting new ones Monday but in other courses she still has a ways to go. Her math she might not finish till late summer. Other courses like those taken at the college will end this May and break till next fall.
So overall we are usually doing something all year but rarely everything.
ServingGrace (03-05-2017), Virginia (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Always have. I don't see any reason not to. We do use textbooks but we've never followed a core schedule and our textbooks tend to be non-traditional.

When the weather is great (we define great weather rather differently than most people) we spend lots of time outside. We hike, swim, ski, etc. When the weather is not great, we spend a lot of time indoors. And we do more reading & writing.

It's all learning.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mamacat (03-06-2017), rdsmommy (03-05-2017), ServingGrace (03-05-2017)
Old 03-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

We start in May. Some subjects we finish on a regular schedule, others are spread out. We will travel in September and want to get certain subjects done before then so he has some basic knowledge beforehand, but take that entire month off.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
mamacat (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

We r delight driven but last few years we've not done much in the way of academics during the summer. It's been a time of enrichment (camps, lessons, and summer stuff) We've done year round for many years and lately we've just needed a big break from structure.

Usually they read 30+ min a day and do some math a few times a week.

Last year my youngest finished all her curriculum in April so she just floated around from May to September having fun.

This year I think the younger two will have math all summer and that's all I know so far

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
mamacat (03-06-2017)