Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #16
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I really need help with meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llee View Post
With AJ's symptoms, I'd suspect constipation.
Oh, she absolutely has constipation, no doubt about it. She also barely drinks anything. It drives me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Will either dh or kids eat pasta with sauce? That is one thing you can easily hide other veggies in if you blend with a blender
PJ and DH will. AJ is finnicky with pasta sauce - sometimes she will, sometimes she won't. But with the GF flour issue, I try not to do pasta more than once a week, so that wouldn't give me many opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
so they like creamy carb things?

How about shepherd's pie
enchilada casserole (you don't have to make it spicy- it can just be creamy)
baked fries

Cheesy sauces are great for blending carrots or other orange veggies into

Herbs are really good for you, too. Oregano has lots of antioxidants in it (and they don't need much to get a benefit) as well as other herbs and spices. So if they won't do veggies, do all the herbs they will eat!
Totally never thought of herbs. Now I have to start a garden, LOL!

I *should* try enchiladas. I bet they would all like them if I could just get them to try them. I've never made those from scratch before. I'll have to look for a recipe.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NovelMama For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 07:50 PM   #17
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Would she drink lemon Natural Calm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:53 PM   #18
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

For one of mine, we had to do Miramax daily (nothing natural worked) until her body relearned how to listen to itself. For my other, she needs it for a couple of days every few months. A good friend had to have her son hospitalized and cleansed out because nothing else worked. So I'm Very anti-constipation.

For food, I make tortillas on Sundays. Friday nights we usually have haystack (DIY Frito salad). Those two meals are guaranteed eaten.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #19
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2015/09...ith-red-sauce/
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
NovelMama (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 08:04 PM   #20
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm seeing a lot of issues in your posts, that I'm going to try to see if I've got the info right:

- none of you are eating enough vegetables/fruit
- none of you are taking in enough fibre/whole grain (and most gluten free foods are super lacking in fibre)
- crunch is good, soft is bad
- more water intake is needed
- your DH's additional aversions make this all even harder

Does that cover the bases, mostly?

A few questions:
- do your kids do any food prep with you?
- have they done any meal planning/cookbook reading?
- are your kids creative? Artsy? because that can be applied to meal planning, for sure.
- have they watched much in the way of cooking shows? (this helped my kids be willing to try new things a LOT)
- have you ever shown them/looked at a balanced plate image? Or talked about what benefits each type of food brings? (protein, carbs, fats, vegetables, fruit, calcium rich choices, and some fun choices too! Balance is helpful!)
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-18-2017), ECingMama (03-19-2017), Llee (03-19-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #21
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever read Ellen Satter's Child of Mine book about picky eating?

Satter recommends serving one meal with something everyone can eat...maybe two of your four people like the protein, three like the carb, one likes the veggie, two like the fruit...everyone fills up on what they like while seeing others eat the rest, and that exposure helps over time. Emphasis is on dinner together socially and drawn away from the food itself. Less anxiety...less revulsion.

One thing that helps me make food knowing it won't please everyone is that I make large batches and rotate who gets a favorite main entree. If you hate it, you can reheat yourself some leftovers from a better night. It's tricky making sure they don't get sick of eating the same leftovers too many days in a row if they really hate all the new options, but it keeps me cooking more variety than limiting myself to crowd-pleasers only. It's more doable than being a short-order cook, and yet keeps them from not eating because they all do have options if they refuse to try tonight's meal.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 03-18-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (03-19-2017), bananacake (03-19-2017), ECingMama (03-19-2017), Maleldil's daughter (03-18-2017), NovelMama (03-19-2017), OnAMission (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #22
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
Would she drink lemon Natural Calm?
Possibly - she likes lemonade, does it taste like that at all? I've never heard of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llee View Post
For one of mine, we had to do Miramax daily (nothing natural worked) until her body relearned how to listen to itself. For my other, she needs it for a couple of days every few months. A good friend had to have her son hospitalized and cleansed out because nothing else worked. So I'm Very anti-constipation.

For food, I make tortillas on Sundays. Friday nights we usually have haystack (DIY Frito salad). Those two meals are guaranteed eaten.
Yeah, having lived with constipation for most of my life (we weren't AT ALL crunchy when I was growing up and I LIVED on gluten ) I DO NOT want this to become an ongoing issue for her. I would hate, hate, hate to have to resort to something like Miralax (partly because of what it is, partly because getting her to consistantly take ANY liquid medication/supplement is extremely difficult), but I'm getting pretty close to desperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaKristin View Post
I'm seeing a lot of issues in your posts, that I'm going to try to see if I've got the info right:

- none of you are eating enough vegetables/fruit
- none of you are taking in enough fibre/whole grain (and most gluten free foods are super lacking in fibre)
- crunch is good, soft is bad
- more water intake is needed
- your DH's additional aversions make this all even harder

Does that cover the bases, mostly?
Yes. I would say, though, that the main root issue is the sensory stuff, which means their willingness to "grin and bear it" with foods is slim to none.

Quote:
A few questions:
- do your kids do any food prep with you?
- have they done any meal planning/cookbook reading?
- are your kids creative? Artsy? because that can be applied to meal planning, for sure.
- have they watched much in the way of cooking shows? (this helped my kids be willing to try new things a LOT)
- have you ever shown them/looked at a balanced plate image? Or talked about what benefits each type of food brings? (protein, carbs, fats, vegetables, fruit, calcium rich choices, and some fun choices too! Balance is helpful!)
1. AJ has no interest (she inherited my utter lack of interest in any and all of the domestic arts ). PJ loves to experiment in the kitchen - and she's also my artsy one. She's also the one who is more likely to try new foods, and of everyone, she's the one I'm least concerned about.

2. Yes, I did for a a few months. It was difficult for me to keep up with because of my own difficulties with planning and follow through, with how weird our schedule gets. (Like, I'd plan a particular meal on a particular night, but then something comes up and we need to eat something I can prep faster or cook quicker, so then it gets swapped with something else, but that messes up another meal, etc.), and with the unpredictability of how much time I'll have on any given day to do meal prep.

3. See #1.

4. PJ does occasionally. Her interests are far more in the baking/decorating realm, however.

5. I talk ALL the time about how foods work together, what our bodies need, how our particular bodies seem to be wired (can't handle gluten, for example), etc. PJ is receptive, AJ is not. This is a typical AJ thing, though - she's very uncoachable in most things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
Have you ever read Ellen Satter's Child of Mine book about picky eating?

Satter recommends serving one meal with something everyone can eat...maybe two of your four people like the protein, three like the carb, one likes the veggie, two like the fruit...everyone fills up on what they like while seeing others eat the rest, and that exposure helps over time. Emphasis is on dinner together socially and drawn away from the food itself. Less anxiety...less revulsion.

One thing that helps me make food knowing it won't please everyone is that I make large batches and rotate who gets a favorite main entree. If you hate it, you can reheat yourself some leftovers from a better night. It's tricky making sure they don't get sick of eating the same leftovers too many days in a row if they really hate all the new options, but it keeps me cooking more variety than limiting myself to crowd-pleasers only. It's more doable than being a short-order cook, and yet keeps them from not eating because they all do have options if they refuse to try tonight's meal.
I haven't read that book, but that sounds like an interesting idea! I'll have to see what meals I could put together that would work well that way...
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #23
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

My dd takes magnesium pills rather than drinking natural calm. Works great for her. GI said it was fine, and that before miralax that is what they used. No money in magnesium pills.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-20-2017), Quiteria (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #24
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Natural calm has a unflavored powder you could mix in water or anything really. Never tried the lemon but I like the raspberry lemon. Tastes like raspberry lemonade. Definitely a good idea to try with constipation. The whole family could take it. The one I have has calcium in it too.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #25
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanza View Post
Natural calm has a unflavored powder you could mix in water or anything really. Never tried the lemon but I like the raspberry lemon. Tastes like raspberry lemonade. Definitely a good idea to try with constipation. The whole family could take it. The one I have has calcium in it too.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
My son and I both like the natural calm, but both of us already have perfect stools. The child who needs it in my house doesn't like it. Of course.

Do the Dr Sears books on nutrition talk about how to introduce food to babies and toddlers? They might be helpful in this case as you have immature eaters?