Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Entrees / Main Dishes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
racheepoo
Deactivated

Don't confuse what is with what is possible.

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help with fish dishes

I've been craving fish something crazy lately, and Katiekind's fish taco thread got me wondering if y'all knew some other ways I could fix it without frying. I tend to rely on fish sticks or canned tuna. The only caveats are that it has to be a white fish...I really can't stomach salmon or the like. And I"m allergic to shellfish, so it can't be a gumbo or shrimp salad or anything.

Ideas, please?
racheepoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with fish dishes

Make fried rice and use fish fillets that you shred with the spatula (we made this tonight - cook the veggies, eggs and fish in a skillet while the rice boils in a pot. When it's all done, chop up the eggs and fish into bitty pieces and mix in the rice, soy sauce, and other seasonings .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this is too boring for what you are looking for but I like to make a little foil or parchment packet with the fish filet and salt and pepper and a slice of lemon and bake it. We have it with rice or potatoes and a veggie. It's actually one of my kid's favorite dinners. I've done it with cod, salmon and tilapia.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
racheepoo
Deactivated

racheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond reputeracheepoo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, I am really looking for ALL ideas thank you! I do like tilapia.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

My kids really like "pizza fish" made with a whitefish. Just bake some fish filets with some pasta sauce and some grated mozzarella on top.

I bake salmon with some melted butter, minced garlic, dill and lemon juice on top, but that would work with a white fish too.
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

Dinner tonight is tilapia marinated in sesame ginger sauce and chopped into bite size pieces, topped with chick peas (marinated in lemon juice, dill and olive oil) and a chipotle cream sauce (sour cream and chopped chipotle peppers) and placed on a fried corn tortilla. It's pretty good.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allison For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
racheepoo
Deactivated

Katigre--what kind of fish would you recommend? I admit that I can't pair fish and rice in my mind. Don't know why

Allison, that sounds almost like katiekind's fish tacos...cannot wait to try!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute

We used a white fish (tilapia or alaskan cod would both work well). The recipe calls for shrimp or chicken, but TJ's was out of shrimp and I only buy chicken once a week so skipped it for this recipe...and found out the fish was a great substitute .
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #9
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

I often cook talapia (very mild tasting, I am sure you would approve) over a bunch of thinly sliced onions and lay sliced peppers and thinly sliced lemons on top (as in covering the fish) I like it in parchment paper because it kind of steams the fish. I usually cook it a 425 for 15ish min...
Also, I do a dressing with it that is tasty - grated ginger, chopped garlic, toasted sesame oil, soy sauce, orange or lemon juice and maybe some maple syrup -- everyone likes that, even when it is a bit spicy from the garlic.
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to newday For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
racheepoo
Deactivated

Obviously I really need to buy some tilapia!

Can y'all suggest some other mild white fish? Cod seems kind of smelly and I've only purchased it once or twice. Not sure if I just need to give it another chance? I love mahi and ahi but can't often afford it.

Keep the recipes coming, thanks so much!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #11
mamaKristin
Rose Garden

parenting better than I garden

mamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond reputemamaKristin has a reputation beyond repute

We like sole a lot (but salmon is #1 with my kids)
mamaKristin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamaKristin For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (04-10-2011)
Old 04-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #12
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Fish dishes my kids will eat:

Baked fish: make a bread crumb topping with bread crumbs, almonds, and butter, cover a white fish fillet (cod, haddock) with it, bake at 400 for about 15-18 minutes

Salmon cakes: substitute canned salmon for crab in any crab cake recipe. (or use a combo of salmon and sardines). I suppose it would work with tuna as well, but I've never tried that. (My recipe - two 7 oz cans of salmon, one can of sardines, about half a sleeve of saltines crushed, or a baked potato and a little bread crumbs, a little - 1/4 cuppish - mayo, and herbage - dill, parsley, salt, pepper. Form into patties and cook in a skillet until browned on both sides.)

Crispy flounder: dredge flounder or other flat fish in flour seasoned how you like it - salt and pepper, cajun seasoning, whatever. Saute in olive oil adn serve.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
racheepoo (04-10-2011)