Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #31
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone want to have our annual sunscreen discussion? LOL

This is actually 2 years old..LOL I thought there was one last year but I couldn't find it...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #32
KatieMae

Old 04-27-2009, 05:17 PM   #33
joyful mama
Rose Garden

Word of God speak...

joyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond repute

my dh and youngest 2 have REALLY sensitive, irish white skin. I"m just about to order Avalon Organics tonight, actually. its reasonable at vitacost.

I have no idea if I could get my kids to take fish oil

Married to my knight in shining armor

Work-in-progress mother to my three awesome kids:

S (8), T (6) and the Little Guy (3)
...and always remembering our little angel

joyful mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #34
Herbwifemama
Deactivated

dd running through the sprinkler last summer

Herbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant futureHerbwifemama has a brilliant future

I give dd a strawberry flavored gel capsule, it's formulated especially for kids. I think it's Nordic Naturals brand. I've been taking "medicine" longer than dd, so she was excited to be able to have her own "medicine". Let them smell the bottle before they taste it. The taste is mild, but the smell is amazing!
Herbwifemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #35
TuneMyHeart
Rose Garden

Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it. Seal it for Thy courts above.

TuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeTuneMyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

Ellie loves fish oil. She's taken the Nordic Naturals strawberry oil and Carlson's lemon flavor with no problem.

Anyone familiar with Soleo?
TuneMyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM   #36
GodChick
Deactivated

RESPECT THE HEARSE.

GodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant futureGodChick has a brilliant future

Another Alba lover here. (Although this year, we can't afford it, so we are using cheapie Coppertone sunblock. ) The sun here is brutal, and I am a redhead with the complexion that goes with it. My kids didn't get my red hair, but they got my porcelain (I like that word better than pasty, har!) skin and we will literally burn within 10 minutes of being in the sun. It is so hot here (over 100 in the summer), that there is no way we can rely on clothing coverage to keep us protected, so the options for us really are using sunscreen or burning. (We will burn before 10am and after 5pm, too, and will burn in the shade. I have also worn a white T-shirt over my swimming suit while swimming and burned right through it. )

I am interested in learning more about the St.JW oil, though. I hadn't heard of that. I do take CLO, but I have yet to find one my kids will take.
GodChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #37
TrinMama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

TrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond reputeTrinMama has a reputation beyond repute

any links to info on the fish oil? DH is a skeptic.
TrinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #38
FaithfilledGranolaChick

subbing

last year we used Alba and I have been trying to take the time to figure out what we are going to use this year (we are in Fl and out in the sun a lot)
Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #39
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbwifemama
I give dd a strawberry flavored gel capsule, it's formulated especially for kids. I think it's Nordic Naturals brand. I've been taking "medicine" longer than dd, so she was excited to be able to have her own "medicine". Let them smell the bottle before they taste it. The taste is mild, but the smell is amazing!
We've tried Nordic natural strawberry and carlson's lemon. We've tried the chewables, we've tried the liquid

My other kids loved their "cherry medicine" but this child is WAY too texture sensitive to eat every kind we try The funny is that the other kids finish up the stuff that I buy her to try Thankfully, she LOVES chewable greens which also help protect your skin

I am patiently waiting until I can teach her to swallow pills and get her started on the little capsules soon . gonna start this summer as we taught Luke at 3.5

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #40
joyful mama
Rose Garden

Word of God speak...

joyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond reputejoyful mama has a reputation beyond repute

wow, swallowing capsules at 3.5!!!

well, i just ordered the strawberry ones from nordic naturals... we'll see. its hot and cold what they will take

Married to my knight in shining armor

Work-in-progress mother to my three awesome kids:

S (8), T (6) and the Little Guy (3)
...and always remembering our little angel

joyful mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #41
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had one that swallowed pills (not horse pills) at 3..my bro did too. Even the chewable NN CLO you can swallow.they are the size of a pea.

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #42
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
I had one that swallowed pills (not horse pills) at 3..my bro did too. Even the chewable NN CLO you can swallow.they are the size of a pea.
that is my hope that I can get her doing the NN CLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mama
wow, swallowing capsules at 3.5!!!
Well, with Luke being on chemo, we trained him to swallow 3 or 4 pills at once at 3.5 yo He actually by 4yo was swallowing 8 little methotrexates. . . this has nothing to do with the thread but he had to swallow 12 or 13 pills at 1am and so we taught him to do all the chemo at once and all the symptom meds at once. So a capsule was no big deal at that point

now, savana I am just hoping for the dinky little NN's . . . being texture sensitive, I am not sure it's possible but. . . she's starting to ask to do it like the older kids. She puts a chewable vit c on her tongue and takes a drink of water and then chews. I am just glad she gets it already

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #43
TestifyToLove
Banned

TestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond reputeTestifyToLove has a reputation beyond repute

So, we did our first sun heavy day yesterday and we're doing Disney in 17 days.

I skipped sunscreen in the African, Indian and Mexican and they had no problems. Ch was in the water ALL day and forgot 2 meals because he was swimming and nothing. E and C skipped sunscreen. They were both pink on their faces and shoulders this am. C used the aloe and green tea lotion like I told him and it was gone instantly. E used the lotion on her shoulders but disobeyed DH and I and repeatedly slathered vaseline on her face (the container says its for burns :/ ) Her face was still burnt at bedtime when we threatened to throw away her vaseline if she smeared it on hr face again. R requested sunscreen from my sister, applied only once and no pink. L was in and out of the water and thus spent aout 50% of her time in the shade. She also wore a rashguard shirt and got no pink at all. J I kept in the shade. He's the only one I haven't had a chance to confirm whether he got Daddy's native american skin tones or not.

But, I've got to figure out sunscreen for ME for Orlando. Unlike all of my children, I have NO ancestry that creates melanine designed to protect from the sun and I will turn loster instantly.

I need something heavy duty for me and something light for all the kids faces because we'll be in the sun SO much that week.

Would the Oils work for the kids, since they do all genetically have natural defenses (assuming J inherited like the others)? Might it help me not require so heavy duty for me?
TestifyToLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #44
cheri
Rose Garden

cheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond reputecheri has a reputation beyond repute

We have used Earth's Best sunblock. It is very thick- so thick that it's tough to really spread it on. I think that's the point, though.

I like Alba, too. Not as thick.

We try to do all the right things like wearing appropriate clothes, we stay out of the sun during peak hours, etc. But we are all very fair skinned, so unless we go swimming only in the dark, if we don't wear sunblock, we will burn quickly.

cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #45
blossomnatalia

I never had to use sunscreen on my kids... they got my Portuguese skin but my third girl appears to be *white* ...so I guess I will have to make a decision... but i do hate the stuff...