Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
ShiriChayim
Rose Garden

Rock on!!!

ShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond reputeShiriChayim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why we do what we do

Last week a small miracle occurred in my family. My oldest son, went away to camp for 5 days, and successfully navigated the social situations all week long on his own. This might not sound like such a huge deal for a child who is newly 10, indeed he wasn't the youngest child there and when I was his age I went to the same place with no issues. But when Warrior was 3 he was diagnosed with autism, and since then it has been a daily struggle working with him, constantly; teaching him, instructing him, knowing when to lay the boundary and how to talk him through the situation, giving him the tools over and over and over again, and at times despairing that he will ever actually use them on his own. We've had him in so many therapies and even tried meds at one point-something he had a horrible reaction to .

That's why last week is such a big huge deal. Because I sent him lovingly on his way, gave him the tools he needed, kissed his cheek and told him I had every last bit of confidence in him that he would succeed and I hoped he had a great week. And he went nervously on his way. And all week long I waited for that phone call to come asking me to come calm him down, and maybe even pick him up. But it never did, because he was successful! He used the tools available to him, and at the end of the week each of the people who had worked with him told me what an awesome kid he is (I totally knew that, but WOW what a confidence booster for him!!!!!!) and glad they were he was there.

He did come home one night early; we saw him at church that day and he told me he'd had a totally awesome time but he was really ready to just come home now-another one of the self-advocacy tools we've talked to him about .

Believe me, I know how hard the struggle is at times. How wearying it is to use GBD at times, and that question in the back of your head, "Is it really working? Is it really worth it?" But if we remember our goal is NOT a child that is obedient, rather it is a child who is self-controlled, self-motivated, and confident in the ability to navigate their lives-then yes it's definitely worth it!!!! And yes-it's definitely "working", even when it doesn't seem to be.
: ds15yo- the performer, ds14yo- the gamer, ds 12yo- the adventurer, and dd 10yo-the dynamo
Missing my little Malachi David and Hannah Danielle, in Jesus' arms
Check out my blog

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
*Dr Seuss*

ShiriChayim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to ShiriChayim For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-16-2014), bentlaj11 (07-17-2014), Beth1231 (07-16-2014), BlessedBlue (07-17-2014), Blue-EyedLady (07-16-2014), derdsgirl (07-16-2014), HadassahSukkot (07-24-2014), JoEllen (07-17-2014), MamaRachel (07-17-2014), MegMarch (07-17-2014), mom2boys (07-16-2014), momzilla76 (07-17-2014), OnAMission (07-17-2014), PlateauMama (07-16-2014), Radosny Matka (07-24-2014), rcsmom (07-17-2014), Rivendell Raven (07-16-2014), Rugayatu (07-24-2014), SewingGreenMama (07-16-2014), Singingmom (07-16-2014), sunflowermom (07-16-2014), sweetpeasmommy (07-16-2014), tazmom (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why we do what we do

I'm so proud of him and happy for you!

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

I needed this today. Thank you for the hope.

And WTG for your lil man =)
Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #5
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

This is wonderful!
Thank you for sharing your son's success,it's a great reminder.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I am for you! And for him! how awesome! Truly proud moment on the journey and thank you so much for encouraging and sharing with us
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #9
tazmom
Rose Garden

tazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond reputetazmom has a reputation beyond repute

Wife to the car guy for 21 years
Mom to my kids
T - Fifteen
A - Thirteen
Z - Ten
tazmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
Bea423
Deactivated

Bea423 will become famous soon enoughBea423 will become famous soon enough

That is so wonderful! Congratulations to him and you!
I really needed this today. The punitive pressure from family has been heavy for the last couple months. Thank you for inspiring and reminding me of why GBD is the right path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bea423 is offline   Reply With Quote