Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Stefanierose88
Rose Blossom

Faith, Torah, Family

Stefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Husband is fed up with the biting

Li and Noemi have been fighting a lot lately and one thing both me and husband really are upset over is biting. Li is usually the one who bites, and she has been doing it a lot lately. We often intervene right before she is able to do it, but sometimes we are too late. Regardless it is upsetting behavior. I do not feel spankings are ever ok and I also don't feel it would benefit the situation AT ALL. Of course, I am here on GCM. My husband was raised with frequent physical abuse and he is saying that he thinks he may need to spank Li soon if she keeps biting. I don't know if he actually will do it, he does want very badly to do gentle discipline and I think he would feel absolutely awful if he did do it. He is just feeling out of control and wanting to fix the situation. I told him that there may not be a "fix", in other words, some of it may require waiting for her to grow up more while doing everything we can to reduce the behavior.

I am unsure of how to respond to him further. I don't want him to feel so out of control and I don't want him to feel like spanking is the only answer. The best case with spanking is that Li would be so terrified of being physically hurt that she would stop biting, not exactly what want and I know that is not truly what he wants either. He adores them both, but gentle parenting is not what he was raised with at all and I think he reverts to old thinking patterns when he feels upset over behavior he cant stop in the girls.

What would you say or do in this situation if your spouse said that?
Zipporah- 20 months
BABY BOY- due oct2016
Stefanierose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #2
3PeasInAPod
Deactivated

3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute3PeasInAPod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband is fed up with the biting

How old are they?
3PeasInAPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

The biter is 18 months old? One of dynamics is that she is probably getting molars.It may help to give her something she can bite on to meet that need like some kind of chewelry. She is still a baby! If you could intruct older child to move way from her and not engage before she bites might be helpful and tell her sometimes a baby will bite when they get upset

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #4
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

Response to him? "How is physically hurting her going to teach her that physically hurting other people isn't acceptable?"
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
Virginia (08-05-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

Are you treating for teething pain?

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Stefanierose88
Rose Blossom

Faith, Torah, Family

Stefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of lightStefanierose88 is a glorious beacon of light

that is basically what I said to him. I know he gets frustrated but I really do try to emphasis that she is so little still. Its something we probably cant stomp out immediately.

She has her molars in already but they just came in recently. She doesn't seem to be in pain, shes done the biting thing for a while now. She is 20 months old and started around 12 months. DD1 was never into biting but she also didn't have a sibling to bother her!
Zipporah- 20 months
BABY BOY- due oct2016
Old 07-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute

My second was my biter, too.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
sara1215
Rose Blossom

This is my story

sara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to behold

My dd2 is also a biter. She only bites her big sister when she is in her space. It's hard to teach other ways to express her anger.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Even when not teething having that biting kind of chewelry may help.If she starts to bite someone you can tell her the chewelry is for biting

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Virginia (08-05-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Stefanierose88
Rose Blossom

Faith, Torah, Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Even when not teething having that biting kind of chewelry may help.If she starts to bite someone you can tell her the chewelry is for biting
good idea, that works a lot with her, like "you cant hit x but you can hit y"
Zipporah- 20 months
BABY BOY- due oct2016
Old 08-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
ShepherdsWife
Rose Bouquet

Full-time Mom to DS 8/13/12, Wife to the Sheep Man, and Rancher to 8000 momma sheep(ewes) :)

ShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant futureShepherdsWife has a brilliant future

My 18 month old started biting us when he was playing or frustrated. Giving a chewable item helps and ALOT of repeated, "that hurts", "owie". Mine never liked pacifiers, but at this stage he loved biting them so I kept a few around. It was a really hard time for my DH too with spanking. He wanted to spank if it didn't quit. Eventually it did, but it took a while and we didn't have to "spank it out".
Oh! I also noticed ours did it more at night and when he was tired. If you see a pattern emerging maybe some prevention like bringing out the chewable toys ahead of time would help or a snack or popsicle or teething rub. I know I would get the pacifier and sippy cup out close to "biting" time. I would encourage some pacifier biting before the first attempt began.
DD December 2014
ShepherdsWife is offline   Reply With Quote