Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Amythestmama
Rose Garden

Amythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond reputeAmythestmama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Siblings have feelings too you know

So last week the kids were talking awful to each other, yelling at each other. K loves Lego but he tends to leave these huge creations right in the middle f the floor so they do get tripped ver and sometimes knocked down and they fall apart when that happens. He screamed at whoever did it even if they were trying to apologize and help fix it. J likes teasing M who then shouts at him to shut up and calls him names. Q is usually the one K is yelling at and he hits when someone yells at him. So all around a hairy mess. At the end of the day, I sat down with them all to read a Bible story but I didn't read anything, just sat there. They finally asked if I was going to read anything. I said I'm enjoying this nice quietness. There's been so much yelling and name calling and poor behavior all day that I am exhausted. Nothing I've said, done has made any difference and I can't handle another day like this so I'm going to tell you a story. "What would you think if Aunt K came over and was being silly and dancing around in the kitchen and knocked my new shelf down and broke it and all my tea cups and jars and as she was saying "oh no! I didn't mean to do that! I'll clean it up, buy you new cups and stuff!" And I just started screaming and (here I did a very good imitation of them with loud screeching, names they used, stomping my feet, etc)called her names and said she was horrible and talked to her like you all have been talking to each other all day?" They all sat there with wide eyes and were very quiet and then Q said"but mama!! That would make aunt K feel so bad! That would hurt her feelings!!" I said BINGO! Now see guys? If even Q who is the littlest can figure that out, you all can understand that talking that way to people-even your brothers or sister!!- makes them feel bad. And none of us like to feel bad so when we do, we tend to do or say things to make others feel bad too, and then we go on and on and have a terrible awful day like today. Now who knows how we can do thing different tomorrow? They all listed ideas: no yelling, no name calling unless they were being silly, no hitting, no screaming, put Lego in safe place, put books and babies in room, not pester people when they say stop, respect their "no" or "stop".... And then Q says "and mama, don't you yell at aunt K if she breaks your tea cups and shelf!!"And when aunt K came over, he told her all about it. And then he told grandma too: "Even brothers and sisters have feelings! Don't hurt them!" anyway. It seems to have made an impression and things have been much nicer. Of course, not perfect, but still, better!
ArmsOfLove (07-28-2014), BestLaidPlans (07-27-2014), Dtswife (08-01-2014), Elspeth (07-28-2014), JoyfulMom (07-28-2014), mipennsn (07-28-2014), OnAMission (07-28-2014), staceylayne (07-27-2014), sunflowermom (07-28-2014), Tasmanian Saint (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Siblings have feelings too you know

Love that you found a "low tide" moment when everyone was ready to listen and engage to talk to them. I often find myself lecturing when feelings are too high for listening to happen. Or I intended to circle back and discuss once people are more calm...and then forget to do it (until they are squabbling again and it is too late ).

And I love the ideas they came up with. Would a list or visual reminder of some sort help them remember some of the awesome suggestions they made?

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
Amythestmama (07-28-2014), sunflowermom (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

You handled that beautifully. Thank you for sharing
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
mamacat (07-28-2014), sunflowermom (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
houseforjoy
Rose Garden

trying to live like olaf "this is the best day of my life!... and quite possibly the last!"

houseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond reputehouseforjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Psalm 13
How long, O Lord? Will you forget me forever?How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I take counsel in my soul
and have sorrow in my heart all the day?....because I am shaken. 5 But I have trusted in your steadfast love;
my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. 6 I will sing to the Lord,
because he has dealt bountifully with me.

houseforjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote