Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough
Default dealing with defiance or ?

I know defiance is a huge word here. But not sure what else to call it. When you tell your child not to do something and they do it anyway. Or you tell them to stop and they just continue.

for example, what should a consequence be (or otherwise how to deal with) for say a 6 yr old who continues to push a button in the camper when he is told not to. Or is told to leave the hose off and he does not. ??

He is constantly doing things he shouldn't lately. sometimes out of being too curious and other times when he knows he should not. And he doesn't seem to care when he does something wrong. When talking to him he makes faces, rolls eyes, laughs. He laughs when something goes wrong for someone else whether it be older brother or me or DH.

Both of my children seem out of control to me lately. And I really don't get what how to deal with them without imposed consequences like time outs or taking away a privilege, etc.
greenishmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
Kiara.I
Rose Garden

Location: The Pacific South-West. You know, north of the Pacific North-West
Kiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond reputeKiara.I has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dealing with defiance or ?

I'm frustrated lately too. You know what I've noticed? It's always easier to figure out the answers in theory than when it's your kids actually doing something. So how about I solve your problem, and you solve mine?

If he continues to push a button, walk him away from it. It sounds like he's bored, and needs something to do. Suggest an alternate activity. Oh, and remember that 6 is like two 3-year-olds.

For the laughing...I'd remind him it's unkind and otherwise mostly ignore it. That might not be the right solution, though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kiara.I For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-30-2014), Codi (08-01-2014), flowermama (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds very stressful. I have no answers for you at this time, so I'm going to share some links which I believe you might find helpful.

Is Defiance Real?

…And I’m the Strict One!

If Gentle Parenting Isn't Working, This Might Be The Reason

Tools For Your Toolbox

How To Talk So Kids Will Listen And Listen So They Will Talk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
ClassicMom (07-30-2014), flowermama (07-29-2014), marigold (07-29-2014), Proverbs3Rubies (07-29-2014), ReedleBeetle (08-03-2014), zeo2ski (08-04-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

It can be so hard and discouraging when they seem out of control. It's great you are looking for discipline tools.

I hope you don't mind more links but have you tried the five steps? "you need to...." etc.?

Regarding the idea of defiance, I really like how Crystal explains it here: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=165271

I love the book that Linda mentioned, How To Talk So Kids Will Listen And Listen So They Will Talk. Such a great book.

This blog post by MaybeGrace has some alternatives to timeouts that might be helpful to you: http://hippiehousewife.blogspot.com/...time-outs.html

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-30-2014), Codi (08-01-2014), Hermana Linda (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

greenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the roughgreenishmama is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara.I View Post
I'm frustrated lately too. You know what I've noticed? It's always easier to figure out the answers in theory than when it's your kids actually doing something. So how about I solve your problem, and you solve mine?

If he continues to push a button, walk him away from it. It sounds like he's bored, and needs something to do. Suggest an alternate activity. Oh, and remember that 6 is like two 3-year-olds.

For the laughing...I'd remind him it's unkind and otherwise mostly ignore it. That might not be the right solution, though.
thanks. the walking away type thing doesn't seem to work. Today we were sweeping the camper and I was up at the front and heard something loud across street but then felt the camper floor vibrating. didn't know what it was. then in walking the other way realized he had hit the button for the water pump (he had been told not to numerous times while camping) and so the pump was running with no water which can burn it out. His pushing it today was not really a defiant sort of thing (and I disagree with that link that was posted in a reply and believe that children and adults can indeed be defiant. My 50 yr old brother is! (the article says no one ever says adults are defiant). My ds (6) seems to have a poor memory- seriously. I'm starting to get concerned about it.
but... there are other times he is just refusing to stop doing things he is asked to refrain from or doing things on purpose that he does know he is not supposed to.

that 6 yr old is like 2 3 yr olds definitely seems accurate lately!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

At this stage, he definitely needs a lot of supervision!

Posted from my mobile phone by Tapatalk

My pages:
Old 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
At this stage, he definitely needs a lot of supervision!

My older son did not. That is what is so startling to us sometimes. We just aren't prepared for some of his behaviors because no. 1 seems to have good sense about things and is cautious and a natural sense of what he should and shouldn't do. But the 6 yr old is suddenly like a different kid lately. the past couple months. no major life changes or anything.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
Hermana Linda
Administrator

In my experience, siblings who are similar are less common than those who are drastically different.

My pages:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (08-03-2014), deena (08-04-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermama View Post
It can be so hard and discouraging when they seem out of control. It's great you are looking for discipline tools.

I hope you don't mind more links but have you tried the five steps? "you need to...." etc.?

Regarding the idea of defiance, I really like how Crystal explains it here: http://www.gentlechristianmothers.co...d.php?t=165271

I love the book that Linda mentioned, How To Talk So Kids Will Listen And Listen So They Will Talk. Such a great book.

This blog post by MaybeGrace has some alternatives to timeouts that might be helpful to you: http://hippiehousewife.blogspot.com/...time-outs.html
the five steps don't really work with this.... do they?
the boys play this game of hitting each other on the butt-like a "you can't get me" type thing. they seem to find it amusing, younger will playfully tease older to do it. but... 50% of the time it ends badly. and older seems a bit passive aggressive sometimes and hits pretty hard. because it so often gets out of hand or is being played at inappropriate times (when trying to get ready to get out the door, etc) I've told them they can't play it anymore (mostly because it ends badly and because of the extra hard hitting). but they do it anyway. They've been told many times not to do it/play it. even if one of them asks for it. but they do it anyway. It's one thing to do the 5 steps with a behavior that you want them to DO but how does it work for something you want them to NOT do? and they've already done it? what is the consequence for doing something you've been told not to do? there is no "natural" consequence that I can think of.

oh- that reminds me, what would a "natural" consequence be for peeing right on the middle of a hiking trail after being spoken to and taught to go off the trail and into a private place? He was peeing all over the place when we went camping. It seemed he was delighting in peeing in places he knew he should not. (this was a campground and public hiking trails- not off in the remote wildnerness). can't do the 5 steps while they are in the act of peeing can you? doesn't seem like a good idea to me. so then what?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #10
Hermana Linda
Administrator

The consequence my boys would get would be me keeping them very close and monitored at all times.

My pages:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Codi (08-01-2014), flowermama (07-30-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #11
greenishmama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
The consequence my boys would get would be me keeping them very close and monitored at all times.

they are. it doesn't matter. these things could happen while standing next to them. I could be filling a glass of water at the sink and this is going on behind me.
being close doesn't do much. they do what they do. I deal with it after the fact.... but no advice so far.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #12
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

You sound really frustrated.

Natural consequence to the but hitting game is not being allowed in the same room as the other child until you can use your hands appropriately. Peeing on the trail means we don't go or you get to wear overalls which are less cute the older you are. Or you can be stuck holding my hand so I can be close enough to see if you are getting ready to relieve yourself and redirect to somewhere appropriate. If the butt smacking might go on while you are getting a glass of water, someone comes with you to get a glass of water.

Even with a special needs kiddo, tightening up the boundaries big time for a few days always helps. It's the keeping them tight because he will forever push things that gets me. He does better and I become more flexible. Cause that seems reasonable at the time. Truly though if you have a boundary pusher, set the boundary a few steps before where you need it to be. If they push it, you correct it remind them of the consequence and proactively help them to stay within the boundary.

I don't call it defiance in adults or kids. Some people are wired to be oppositional and that's what I call it. In my head, not usually out loud. It's also a quality that can be used for good. Many people who have brought about huge changes in the world simply wouldn't accept the status quo. It's frustrating to parent that kid, but it CAN be a good thing.

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-30-2014), Codi (08-01-2014), deena (08-04-2014), Dtswife (07-30-2014), flowermama (07-29-2014), Hermana Linda (07-29-2014), HomeWithMyBabies (08-01-2014), Virginia (08-04-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 PM   #13
})i({HeGaveMeWings})i({

TBH, that sounds like blatant defiance. Your boy needs some kind of reality check or he's going to be pretty arrogant as he grows. Maybe a Christian camp or military camp where he can connect with God and learn about the error of his ways. I would come down hard on that kind of behavior and use a LOT of consistency.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by })i({HeGaveMeWings})i({ View Post
TBH, that sounds like blatant defiance. Your boy needs some kind of reality check or he's going to be pretty arrogant as he grows. Maybe a Christian camp or military camp where he can connect with God and learn about the error of his ways. I would come down hard on that kind of behavior and use a LOT of consistency.
We are all discussing addressing the situation. Nobody is suggesting she ignore it. However, I really don't think a 6 year old is ready for boot camp. And many, if not most, of those Christian Camps which claim to help defiant children are very abusive.

My pages:
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
deena (08-04-2014), Dtswife (08-04-2014), Findabhair (08-01-2014), HadassahSukkot (08-05-2014), kindundmama (08-04-2014), Llee (08-01-2014), sweetpeasmommy (08-01-2014), twoplustwo (08-05-2014), Virginia (08-04-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #15
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

A 6 year olds reality is much different than an adults. And six is NOTORIOUSLY hard.

I have a few ideas. I'll see if I can post them before the board closes tonight.

One thing to do straight away, make some sort of cover for the water pump button.

Six Year Old Stickie

A Thread on Parenting the Persistent Child

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8

Last edited by Codi; 08-01-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (08-05-2014), Hermana Linda (08-01-2014), Llee (08-01-2014), twoplustwo (08-05-2014)