Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alzheimer's as Type 3 Diabetes

Interesting.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...pe-3-diabetes/

You can find many more articles and a Ted Talk on this topic, also. I stumbled on this while doing some reading on Parkinson's.

It is believed there are two types of Parkinson's-- brain first and gut first. Gut first Parkinson's is believed to start with gut dysbiosis. It is accepted that all people with Parkinson's have gut issues, it's a matter of what came first.

I think that, more and more, many of the symptoms of these diseases can be delayed with lifestyle. We cannot do anything about our genetics but, maybe, we can delay the onset of symptoms. I have a friend with Alzheimer's and he has become very strict with his diet. He says he notices immediately when he deviates. He's so kind and smart and I hope he has many years of mild symptoms rather than a rapid progression of symptoms.

I hope that more answers come. Funding is needed to study lifestyle as there's such a small profit to be made from it, no big pockets to fund that research.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (10-29-2020), graciousmomma (10-26-2020), Little Forest (10-27-2020), MariJo7 (11-10-2020), mommychem (10-26-2020), passthemanna (10-26-2020), Pragmatist (10-28-2020), twoplustwo (10-26-2020), ValiantJoy07 (10-27-2020), ViolaMum (10-26-2020)
Old 10-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alzheimer's as Type 3 Diabetes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Interesting.

https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...pe-3-diabetes/

You can find many more articles and a Ted Talk on this topic, also. I stumbled on this while doing some reading on Parkinson's.

It is believed there are two types of Parkinson's-- brain first and gut first. Gut first Parkinson's is believed to start with gut dysbiosis. It is accepted that all people with Parkinson's have gut issues, it's a matter of what came first.

I think that, more and more, many of the symptoms of these diseases can be delayed with lifestyle. We cannot do anything about our genetics but, maybe, we can delay the onset of symptoms. I have a friend with Alzheimer's and he has become very strict with his diet. He says he notices immediately when he deviates. He's so kind and smart and I hope he has many years of mild symptoms rather than a rapid progression of symptoms.

I hope that more answers come. Funding is needed to study lifestyle as there's such a small profit to be made from it, no big pockets to fund that research.
I was very grateful that my parents did 23andme when we did it. None of us have the gene for early-onset. (My in laws did not do test.)

But incredibly fascinating that diet could still help even if you have genetic risk I hope your friend maintains his cognitive function as long as possible.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (10-29-2020), MariJo7 (11-10-2020), Soliloquy (10-26-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting! My Grandmother had Type 2 diabetes (started needing support for it in her late 70's) we believe a medication they put her on for her heart disease is what triggered her dementia.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (10-29-2020), OnAMission (11-08-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 07:35 AM   #4
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
Interesting! My Grandmother had Type 2 diabetes (started needing support for it in her late 70's) we believe a medication they put her on for her heart disease is what triggered her dementia.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
In our family’s experience, statins have definitely increased dementia symptoms. It has happened to both my grandfathers and even my parents to a certain extent. My maternal grandpa’s cardiologist had pooh-poohed that notion until it happened to him! There does not seem to be any published research connecting statins and dementia, but it is definitely out there anecdotally. Both my grandpas and my parents have avoided statins or taken the very lowest dose that they could take.

OP that is really interesting. My grandma has Alzheimer’s, but not early onset. She is not one to have ever paid much attention to diet or lifestyle (though she has been remarkably healthy despite that!) but my parents and my siblings and I certainly pay more attention.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
MariJo7 (11-10-2020), Soliloquy (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #6
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like I have seen a good amount of research on the role of cholesterol in brain function so maybe try looking at that angle instead of looking for research specific to statins. I would not use statins for anyone with the APOE e4 gene (most strongly associated gene for hereditary Alzheimer’s risk) and probably not anyone without it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
MariJo7 (11-10-2020), OnAMission (11-08-2020), Pragmatist (11-08-2020), Soliloquy (11-09-2020)
Old 11-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

Agreeing that I would not recommend statin use for anyone. Bad side effects and no research that shows any actual reduction in heart disease.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
domesticzookeeper (11-09-2020), MariJo7 (11-10-2020), OnAMission (11-09-2020), Soliloquy (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 04:33 AM   #8
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently listening to an audiobook called The End of Alzheimer's. It is very good and he said that nobody should get Alzheimer's and it can be prevented, and in many cases, reversed.

I actually stopped listening to it as he got to "the plan" because I realized I need a print version to see it.

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
MariJo7 (11-10-2020), mommychem (11-09-2020), Pragmatist (11-09-2020), Soliloquy (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I know people on statins. I don't think they help heart disease and carry risks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
MariJo7 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:52 PM   #10
expatmom
Rose Garden

expatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond reputeexpatmom has a reputation beyond repute

The Wicking Dementia centre out of the University of Tasmania has some great courses that are publicly available online about dementia risk and protective factors. Certainly there are many things personally and systemically that can be done to decrease the risk of dementia; there are also unavoidable genetic factors that are beyond our control.