Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* > Natural Health & Nutrition Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #286
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bentonite Clay

I just bookmarks the recipes Thank you so much. I used to have that before my computer crash last fall

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #287
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purstrength
Same here. Once I had a really bad reaction to vitamin e oil. My eye swelled up and turned red and splotchy all around.

This last time, I had used some Jason's lotion on my body and then went to put coconut oil on my face. I didn't wash my hands in between and my hands got real hot...felt like what I would imagine a slight chemical burn to feel like.
Funny you mention the vitamin E oil after a post about Burt's Bees!

I have a soy allergy, along with all my other allergies, and suspected soy in many of my Burt's Bees things(mostly the lip balms since I use lip balm a lot).

I emailed them and they basically told me not to buy their products if I have a soy allergy since it's in a lot of them, and cross-contamination is very likely.

FTR, "tocopherol" is vitamin E.

I've been avoiding anything with vitamin E added, because chances are it contains soy.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #288
me
Rose Garden

me has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by purstrength
Same here. Once I had a really bad reaction to vitamin e oil. My eye swelled up and turned red and splotchy all around.

This last time, I had used some Jason's lotion on my body and then went to put coconut oil on my face. I didn't wash my hands in between and my hands got real hot...felt like what I would imagine a slight chemical burn to feel like.
Funny you mention the vitamin E oil after a post about Burt's Bees!

I have a soy allergy, along with all my other allergies, and suspected soy in many of my Burt's Bees things(mostly the lip balms since I use lip balm a lot).

I emailed them and they basically told me not to buy their products if I have a soy allergy since it's in a lot of them, and cross-contamination is very likely.

FTR, "tocopherol" is vitamin E.

I've been avoiding anything with vitamin E added, because chances are it contains soy.
you always confirm my strong suspected thinkings with concrete evidence i really enjoy reading your replies
me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #289
Dandelion
Rose Garden

Dandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond reputeDandelion has a reputation beyond repute

when putting it in the bath, are the metal fixures a concern?
B 8/99
O1 5/03
V 6/05
M 7/07
L 11/10
H 11/12
O2 11/15
Dandelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #290
me
Rose Garden

when i first started using clay i did use a plastic lid to cover the drain and stop the water
no, the metal isnt an issue in the tub. Unless someone starts drinking the tub water.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #291
Can Dance
Rose Garden

Can Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond repute

I actually starting taking this before I read this thread. I am taking it because my MW recommended it as a course of action to help me with my pregnancy hemroids that got completely out of control. :/ so I started on 2 tbsp a day, and I actually had to drop my intake of cal/mag for now because it was causing me to "break out" for lack of a better term. but seriously, I CANNOT believe how much this has helped. I got a case with my second pregnancy and it never went fully away. I honestly don't expect them to go away until after the baby is born, but I am hopeful if I keep up this regiment then they should clear up completely without someone sitting on them every day :P I have also been told to try it externally as well, haven't tried that one yet. I am going to tell my sister to help with her IBS. surely that would help.
DS 24/2009
and my Hawaiian Surprise
DS 9/1/11
Can Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:12 AM   #292
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can Dance
I actually starting taking this before I read this thread. I am taking it because my MW recommended it as a course of action to help me with my pregnancy hemroids that got completely out of control. :/ so I started on 2 tbsp a day, and I actually had to drop my intake of cal/mag for now because it was causing me to "break out" for lack of a better term. but seriously, I CANNOT believe how much this has helped. I got a case with my second pregnancy and it never went fully away. I honestly don't expect them to go away until after the baby is born, but I am hopeful if I keep up this regiment then they should clear up completely without someone sitting on them every day :P I have also been told to try it externally as well, haven't tried that one yet. I am going to tell my sister to help with her IBS. surely that would help.
I have started having problems with varicose veins(lovely warm humid weather somehow aggravates it) and am looking into natural treatments because I sure don't want to pay for/go thru medical surgery and such!

Using it externally--do you just add water and use it like a mask on the problem areas?

Maybe I will get some of the internal type clay...I'm toying with stopping my daily Claritin...

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #293
Can Dance
Rose Garden

Can Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond reputeCan Dance has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would just use it like a mask.
DS 24/2009
and my Hawaiian Surprise
DS 9/1/11
Can Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #294
me
Rose Garden

Back on pg 17 I posted a quote on how to use it for the legs.

I think you could probably do things externally by applying a paste to the area then maybe wrapping it with some cling wrap. Or making a poultice for the area. leave it on alteast a half hour.

Im not sure if you remember me mentioning one time how i did both allergy med and clay at the same time, so i was weaning off the meds without going cold turkey. You might want to try something like that, it being spring and all.

OH! I got one more thing clay helps. Flu! I posted somewhere here how we had all gotten the flu not to long ago. I remember thinking how odd it was since we havent had the flu in years. And this time it felt different, it had a strange pain in the neck and when we would lift our arms, sort of in the muscles/chest achiness. Instead of taking oscill...cant remember how to spell it...i just gave us all clay the day i realized we had the flu instead of a cold.
All we took was clay. I did rub the kids with oregano/olive oil, saline in the little ones noses, electrolytes, and a vapor plug in thing to the wall.
THen while i was watching the news they mentioned that this new flu strain going around was bad because people havent developed an immunity to it yet. then they said how a group of kids went to mexico and came back with mild symptoms, cough/fever. So whether we had a new strain or an old one, it works.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #295
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Back on pg 17 I posted a quote on how to use it for the legs.

I think you could probably do things externally by applying a paste to the area then maybe wrapping it with some cling wrap. Or making a poultice for the area. leave it on alteast a half hour.

Im not sure if you remember me mentioning one time how i did both allergy med and clay at the same time, so i was weaning off the meds without going cold turkey. You might want to try something like that, it being spring and all.

OH! I got one more thing clay helps. Flu! I posted somewhere here how we had all gotten the flu not to long ago. I remember thinking how odd it was since we havent had the flu in years. And this time it felt different, it had a strange pain in the neck and when we would lift our arms, sort of in the muscles/chest achiness. Instead of taking oscill...cant remember how to spell it...i just gave us all clay the day i realized we had the flu instead of a cold.
All we took was clay. I did rub the kids with oregano/olive oil, saline in the little ones noses, electrolytes, and a vapor plug in thing to the wall.
THen while i was watching the news they mentioned that this new flu strain going around was bad because people havent developed an immunity to it yet. then they said how a group of kids went to mexico and came back with mild symptoms, cough/fever. So whether we had a new strain or an old one, it works.
Yep, I remember when we talked about weaning off of allergy meds--I'm thinking I'd probably be doing the clay regimen in the evening, and I take my loratadine in the morning, so I think I'll be ok there.

That's good to know about the flu treatment---what do you do for you and the kids in taking clay internally? Do you hydrate a bunch of it(as you would for a face mask) and store it in a container and dip out the 1-2 TB(adult dose) and mix that in water? I'm not sure how to exactly do it, and not sure how to get the kids to take it if they were to get the flu. I need very basic instructions. (and I realize you probably already gave them here, so I will look back in the thread when I get the chance to browse)

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 04-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #296
me
Rose Garden

no dont do that, this thread is to long
when the kids and i were taking it daily i would mix up enough for the week or a couple of days. i found the longer it sits it gets more chalky in texture. not a big deal if you put it in something that hides the texture though. it can be premixed in distilled water and stored in something like a wine bottle. I would recommend glass rather than a plastic bottle.

But when we got sick i didnt have any premixed since we are no longer taking it daily. I just took the powder, mixed it into water, add enough honey to make it sweet, then gave it to each of the kids like i would cough syrup in the small plastic measuring cups (i have tons left over from our benadryl days). They are use to taking clay though. For a child not use to it you could put it in cocoa (non dairy).
Oh! make sure you store your powdered clay away from any odor you dont want it to absorb. Because it will, even through the container.
I learned that the hard way.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #297
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I just took the powder, mixed it into water, add enough honey to make it sweet, then gave it to each of the kids like i would cough syrup in the small plastic measuring cups (i have tons left over from our benadryl days).
How much powder to water? Is there a specific ratio? I've read at this site
Quote:
at hydrated clay or drink liquefied clay. Generally, it is suggested that one to two tablespoons of hydrated clay daily is the proper amount for an adult. For those who prefer to take their clay in liquid form, we recommend one to two ounces daily.
But, I realize that I could mix it thick like a paste all the way to just 'dirty water' looking....so I am looking for the true amount of (dry) clay I would be consuming in a day.

Does that make sense?

In essentials, Unity
In all things, Charity

Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #298
Raspberries

Okay, this thread is 20 pages long, so do you mind if I just ask a few questions even though they may have been answered?

What does it do?

How do you take it?

How often do you take it?

Where do you find it?

Is it expensive?
Old 04-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #299
me
Rose Garden

I have another use! My dh has always had this weird skin thing that comes and goes through the years that he must have gotten while in the military. None of the doctors can tell him what it is, their often baffled and somewhat creeped out. He always has to take the strongest antibiotics and i think steriods or something along with it
Anyway, the other day, the tell tale red dot popped out on his toe, which means its coming. then yesterday it all broke loose. his entire top of his foot got bright red, swollen, and the area turned white and blister looking. He came home from work and i put his foot in a strong clay bath and gave him 2 tbs of hydrated clay. I figured we would get the swelling down then get him to a dr before it turned the usual purple.
But it never did!!!! I kept a dry sprinkling of the clay on it and he went to bed with it only slightly white and no redness.
He woke up and it was good enough for him to walk on and even go to work. He took 2 tbs again before he left and i told him to take a baggie of the dry clay with him to keep his foot dry.
He just emailed me that his foot is fine, the clay worked!

I hope now he detoxes with it like ive been trying to get him to do.
Strange thing, when his foot was soaking, he said it felt like the water was bubbling. and when i would check his foot i could hear a sort of air being released every now and then :/
Normally when we take him in, they give him the meds, draw a black line around it and tell him to get to an er asap if it passes it. usually it close to line then receeds over a couple of days. This time with the clay, the redness was gone before we could even mark around it. And it never came back!

My dh was laughing at how all the drs always throw their best stuff at it and all it took was a little dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I just took the powder, mixed it into water, add enough honey to make it sweet, then gave it to each of the kids like i would cough syrup in the small plastic measuring cups (i have tons left over from our benadryl days).
How much powder to water? Is there a specific ratio? I've read at this site
Quote:
at hydrated clay or drink liquefied clay. Generally, it is suggested that one to two tablespoons of hydrated clay daily is the proper amount for an adult. For those who prefer to take their clay in liquid form, we recommend one to two ounces daily.
But, I realize that I could mix it thick like a paste all the way to just 'dirty water' looking....so I am looking for the true amount of (dry) clay I would be consuming in a day.

Does that make sense?
When you first start to take clay things will start being releases that have been sitting there a while, so you want to start slowly with the clay so you dont start peeling away the layers of toxins faster than your body can release/get it out. So start really light and go up in amount about every day or three days depending on your symptoms. If you start getting a headache or pimples, or itchy, then you need to go back down to the previous amount, slowly work your way up to the recommended amount. All the while taking things that will help your body eliminate toxins. Like lemon, fiber (not to much), stay hydrated (electrolytes if water isnt enough to keep you having regular bowel movements), parlsey, mint, things like that.
If you are buying the clay from a good distrubutor they will give you directions and amounts for the clay.
But really, start slow, and your body will tell you how much you need. A good sign of when you have reached your particular detox amount is when you start seeing your skin clear like if you spend time in spas kind of clear and moles flake off.

But if you feel more comfortable with a dose to have as a guide. Hydrate your clay 1:10 then take about 1/4tsp and work up to 1tb or 2tb. 2 Tb is a good detox amount. Weve taken the clay on an empty stomach and with fruit smoothies with breakfast. I think i liked it best with the smoothies when we were doing it daily. but now that we take it as needed i like it best before bed. just personal preference though.
And since we dont take it daily, i dont keep any hydrated, i keep it as it comes in powder form in the shelf. I take the amount in powder form that i have predermined from when we took it daily, and just mix it into whatever.

I hope im making sense.
Initially, hydrate it and take the liquid dose.
When you are use to it, scoop out the powdered dose and add it to whatever.

Or some people hydrate the clay, let the clay sit at the bottom, and only pour out the top portion without shaking it first. Just to get use to it watered down first.

I find it much gentler to take the hydrated liquid amount initially (1/4t work up to 1tb, 2tb if detoxing). Rather than dosing off of the dry clay. We scoop out dry doses now because our bodies are use to it and i know by sight what each of us takes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberries
Okay, this thread is 20 pages long, so do you mind if I just ask a few questions even though they may have been answered?

What does it do?

How do you take it?

How often do you take it?

Where do you find it?

Is it expensive?
aboutclay.com will answer all your questions.
they even have a list of distributors
i dont think its expensive because i use it for tons of things that cost more than the clay. plus it lasts forever. depends on what you are using it for. On the second or maybe third page, i have kept my list of uses updated.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #300
Lantern Light Mama
Deactivated
I support GCM!

A.K.A. joyinthspirit

Lantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond reputeLantern Light Mama has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, all I can say is I have had good results taking it. I put enough in one bottle of water to make it look a little dirty and drink it. It doesn't taste great but it works.

A little goes a long way. Also, te detox reaction is real. I actually had one after my first clay bath and it felt like I had the flu for a few days. I was zonked for about 2 days afterwards.
Lantern Light Mama is offline   Reply With Quote