Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #121
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2015 Garden Planning

Here's what our boxes currently look like.

blueberry bush on L, mint on R.
Still need to find the bacteria to get rid of the tomato fruitworms - hoping to do that before we plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessAnika For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (05-20-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #122
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

One of my new peach trees looks dead. The leaves are all fallen off and the peaches are starting to shrivel. It has new branch growth but the yard has some obvious drainage issues and I think it's had a negative effect on the tree.

We've had so much rain hit us out of nowhere this spring, I imagine the owners of this house never anticipated their yard having standing water in it. Having previously been in a serious drought, the lake levels went from 28% to 63% or something like that. That's quite an increase.

All of this to say....surprise! The new yard needs to be regraded. And we're just renters hopefully the trees don't die. I'm not sure how that works, if they die from drainage problems which we obviously aren't going to put up big money to fix.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #123
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseforjoy View Post
i bought some plants
Me too and seeds! I start planting tomorrow. We cleaned up and composted our garden beds saturday and I'm Very excited.

I bought hanging strawberries and think I am planting lettuce in hanging planters. We have bunnies who eat them so I want them off the ground.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:27 AM   #124
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

We have our first little pepper!

I bought another blueberry bush yesterday, hardiblue. Now we have 9, I think. this variety is adaptable to clay, which we have. I'm excited. It's already covered in berries.

Going to transplant the cucumbers and sweet corn today and move the mini greenhouse out of my kitchen to outdoors. I should've done that a few weeks ago but never got around to it.

I need to get my potatoes in, too. We're using bags this year.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #125
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa, how are you using bags for potatoes? Hanging?? I'd love info We've tried potatoes and failed in every way so far

I bought my hanging planers and potting soil yesterday as well as some landscaping plants. I actually bought a perennial I kill all things not vegetables so that will be interesting

I am starting planting today as soon as my kids get up - dd2 is my planter buddy <3

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
Old 05-20-2015, 01:07 PM   #126
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

For potatoes we're using plastic chicken feed bags with holes poked in the bottom. You roll the bag down, put in dirt with cut potatoes, and slowly unroll the bag and add dirt as the plant grows. I found several videos on YouTube. I think they'd be too heavy to hang but your dh might find a way to hang them.

What perennial did you buy? I have a perennial thread somewhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (05-25-2015), tempus vernum (05-20-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #127
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

An azalea. I'm nervous.

We got flowers done before dd2 left.

I did almost entire veggie garden but my foot is killing me so I stopped. My break turned into "I'm done for then day."

I need to do my lettuce planters and my peppers. Everything else is in the ground

Old 05-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #128
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I have two azaleas. They're acid-loving so use a fertilizer for acid-loving plants early spring. Morning sun, afternoon shade.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #129
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I have two azaleas. They're acid-loving so use a fertilizer for acid-loving plants early spring. Morning sun, afternoon shade.
I put in my front yard which is morning shade, afternoon sun

Old 05-20-2015, 05:24 PM   #130
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

It might do great there.
tempus vernum (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 04:54 AM   #131
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of my peach trees is dead. No leaves, shriveled green fruit. The yard is waterlogged after record breaking rainfall following a five year drought. I can't tell if the yard has grading issues or if it's just that wet everywhere right now. But I think all the water contributed to losing that tree.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #132
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

All the extra rainfall and flooding here has made it nearly impossible to have anything in my garden. The tomato plants have turned yellow and died from too much water. Most of the rest of my seeds just flooded out. I have nothing in my garden but one pepper plant, a handful of lettuce, a few scraggly carrots and beets, some sad looking basil, chives, parsley, and a stunted rosemary plant.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #133
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #134
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by charla View Post
All the extra rainfall and flooding here has made it nearly impossible to have anything in my garden. The tomato plants have turned yellow and died from too much water. Most of the rest of my seeds just flooded out. I have nothing in my garden but one pepper plant, a handful of lettuce, a few scraggly carrots and beets, some sad looking basil, chives, parsley, and a stunted rosemary plant.
We are in North Texas and also having tons more rain than normal. I am glad that my gardens are raised beds. It helps them drain better. I can't do a compost heap though because where I had it is a lake. I started a compost heap there, but I am no longer adding to it because it is more like compost stuff sitting in a pond every time it rains. There are some things growing next to it from last year's compost heap. I think most are loofahs.
I just pulled my onions last week and most of my beets - there were not many beets. My carrots are ok, I have pulled some. The squash is growing and so is the cucumbers, but I fear that I will have squash bugs return and then it will all be a waste. I planted some beans and okra where the onions were. I just got a bunch of dried beans from the pantry and planted them. Not sure how that will turn out.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

This year's gardening shoes.

one raised bed

and the other

and a small one

and my grapes

and mint
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (05-25-2015), tempus vernum (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 05:02 PM   #135
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

We planted some seeds yesterday - I think we finally had the final frost so I'll he getting pepper lettuce and tomato plants this week, as well as pea seeds. We put in corn, green beans, carrots, cukes, and already have in our blueberry bush and mint. Oh, and I need to get some dill and plant the onions as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote