Gentle Christian Mothers Community
 
Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~


Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
Virginia
Rose Garden
 
Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,940
Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Budget for Master Bedroom?

Pretend you were thinking about buying a new bed, two nightstands, a new dresser, lighting, sheets, pillows, pillowcases, comforter or duvet, paint, wall decor, bench, etc.

How much total would your budget be?

Also pretend you stink at DIY-ing and have no interest in it

__________________
Christine
current WAHM; former high school teacher; wife to pharmacist DH "R" since 7.31.2010
Lila in heaven, 8/2015
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017


Gluten free since March 2013
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
forty-two
Rose Garden
 
The Gospel is for Christians, too :).
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,762
forty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond reputeforty-two has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

We just moved, and actually bought a few new things picked specially for the exact space - quite different feeling than our usual approach of arranging and rearranging our rummage sale finds . And we just got new sheets that are *not* the cheapest thing at Walmart - it's rather nice.


Here's my rough estimates, based on a bit of googling:

a new bed: 200-600 (ikea level), 1000-2000 for solid wood
two nightstands: 50-100ea (ikea level), 400+ea (solid wood)
a new dresser: 100-400 (ikea-level), 900-2000 for solid wood
lighting: 100-150 for ceiling light fixture, 50 for two bedside lamps. 50-100 for a floor/table lamp
sheets/pillowcases: 50-200 (depends on how nice)
pillows: 50
comforter or duvet: 200-300
paint: 50-100
wall decor,
bench: 100-200 (ikea-level), 500-1000+ (solid wood)
etc

So I'd say $2000-2500 at the lower end, and $5000-6000 at the upper end (of course, that's my upper end - I'm sure you could spend a ton more if you wanted).

__________________
~ forty-two ~
Possessor of The Answer to Everything and Solver of (Somebody Else's) Problems

INTJ: introverted iNtuition with extraverted Thinking
DYT 4/2: connecting intellectually and emotionally
Enneagram 5w4: a need to perceive and to feel special


Wife to my pastor dh (INTP, 4/1) since 2003

Mother to:
dd12, 'R', INxJ, 1/4?
dd9.5, 'A', IxFP, 4/1?
ds7, 'J', Ixxx
and two in heaven: miscarried 10/29/04 and 01/01/05

Blog: Lutherama
forty-two is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to forty-two For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden
 
My kid shoots laser beams from his hands
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,344
Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

We haven’t done a complete redo but last year we bought new bedding. I wanted pillows and a down comforter and new sheets. I spent about $400. I got 2 down comforters (one new, one Craigslist) 3 duvet covers (thrift store otherwise YIKES) 4 down pillows, 2 sheet sets and some fabric to make a reversible bed scarf. We got an adjustable bed base (Craigslist $250) and two dressers that we refinished ($150 and way too much for refinishing because I left my husband alone in the store) they function as our night stands. Our only art is two wedding pictures.

So for bed, bedding and dressers and other here and theres I spent less than $1000. As you can see we don’t like to buy new very often. the down comforters are worth it.

Budget just depends on your style and preference. Do you want ikea dressers or do you want something all wood dove tailed etc. huge difference in price there. I decided on the things I cared the most about and put the bulk of the money there.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Soliloquy
Administrator
 
I am a silkie hen.
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the coop.
Posts: 44,893
Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

I don't know about furniture, I haven't shopped for furniture in ages. For 2 good sets of sheets I'd budget $150. With the holiday sales, you can probably do better than that. I'd want about 400 thread count. Too high of a thread count and the sheets literally fall apart in a few months. I had a set of 800 thread count that were the softest things ever but they didn't last.

Pillows, I am willing to spend a lot on pillows because a bad pillow means I don't sleep well and wake up with a stiff neck. I love buckwheat hull pillows and those have come down in price, too. I bought our buckwheat hull pillows a number of years ago through a co-op so I think I paid $60 each. People love My Pillow, I guess, because they're very popular and Wal-Mart even carries them for $50 now.

The price of a comforter will range dramatically based on what you want. Down? Down alternative? Something that will still look lovely in 20 years or are you likely to get bored with in and want a new one in 5 years? Price could be $50-$500 or even higher.

If you don't want a "chemical free" mattress, then mattresses have become very cheap compared to 10 years ago. Check Costco. Compressed mattresses are all the rage. You can even return them if you don't like them. It'd be worth a Costco membership to get a great mattress, IMO, if they have the best price. Check Amazon, too. You can find highly rated mattresses for as low as $300. Mattresses aren't ridiculously thick anymore, either, thank goodness. Mattress stores are going out of business left and right because they cannot compete with the value of compressed mattresses.

If you want a "chemical free" mattress (basically no VOCs) you're going to pay more but again, much cheaper than 10 years ago when they cost thousands.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

One more thing--

I would chose one focus point that you absolute love and spend more on it. Whether it's a gorgeous comforter, a piece of art, etc. Then plan your paint colors around that.
__________________
Lisa, 45.
Moderator in Theological & Doctrinal Issues, Drawing Closer, Bible Study, & Educating Our Children
Mom to 5 wonderful kids! 2 dogs, 4 cats, and some chickens.
My Instagram
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Llee (11-17-2018), Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Katigre
Rose Garden
 
Why thank you, it is naturally blue...
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,696
Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

IKEA level of cheap for all of those items would be $1200 minimum. I'm a minimalist when it comes to decorating though - we have nothing on our bedroom walls .
__________________
DS (12) DD (9.5) DS (6) DD (4)
Married to my for 15 years

Posting from my phone, pardon the auto correct typos
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #6
ECingMama
Rose Garden
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,770
ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

I would buy used, high quality furniture over IKEA.
__________________
ENFp DYT Type 4/1 married to ISFJ DYT Type 2/?
Wife who is thankful to be in love....15 years
Homeschooling Mom of three....10 DD and 7.5 DS and new DD (July 2017) after a 5 year wait
8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
I feel blessed when I pray for you. Thankful for this community!
ECingMama is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #7
mamacat
Rose Garden
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 26,027
mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

I would check out Wayfair clearance and find ones you like if you want new
__________________
~Catherine~

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
MegMarch
Rose Garden
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,947
MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

FWIW, I LOVE Ikea's Hemnes dressers and sideboard.

I'd want a budget of at least $2000 and would plan to have another $500 "on hold" for if I find something just right here and there over the next year or so.

DIY is not my jam either. I like crafting but nothing that requires any structural integrity.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Llee (11-17-2018), Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
knitlove
Rose Garden
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 14,454
knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMarch View Post
FWIW, I LOVE Ikea's Hemnes dressers and sideboard.

I'd want a budget of at least $2000 and would plan to have another $500 "on hold" for if I find something just right here and there over the next year or so.

DIY is not my jam either. I like crafting but nothing that requires any structural integrity.
We have the Ikea hemnes bed and have for almost 11 years. I still love it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
Wife to a wonderful DH for 17 years.
Momma to my 29 weeker Early Bird who is nine
and my little Wiggle Worm born 33 weeks who is five
knitlove is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
MegMarch (11-16-2018), Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #10
ECingMama
Rose Garden
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,770
ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

We have high end consignment shops here where you can say what you like and they call if something matches
__________________
ENFp DYT Type 4/1 married to ISFJ DYT Type 2/?
Wife who is thankful to be in love....15 years
Homeschooling Mom of three....10 DD and 7.5 DS and new DD (July 2017) after a 5 year wait
8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
I feel blessed when I pray for you. Thankful for this community!
ECingMama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:12 PM   #11
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden
 
My kid shoots laser beams from his hands
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 21,344
Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMarch View Post
FWIW, I LOVE Ikea's Hemnes dressers and sideboard.

I'd want a budget of at least $2000 and would plan to have another $500 "on hold" for if I find something just right here and there over the next year or so.

DIY is not my jam either. I like crafting but nothing that requires any structural integrity.
I love those too. The hemnes dressers were the ones I had picked for our room but they were one inch too big for the space. I was really sad! They open and close so nicely and I really like the look. Plus from what Iíve geard they really hold up and the prices are great. I like what we ended up with but Iím still a little sad.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Virginia (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #12
Virginia
Rose Garden
 
Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,940
Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I would buy used, high quality furniture over IKEA.
How do I find matching used high quality furniture, though, is what I struggle with/have been struggling with in my brain

Right now, our bed is white painted metal and our dresser is wood (pine, maybe? idk). Being so mismatched really irks me

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty-two View Post
Here's my rough estimates, based on a bit of googling:

a new bed: 200-600 (ikea level), 1000-2000 for solid wood
two nightstands: 50-100ea (ikea level), 400+ea (solid wood)
a new dresser: 100-400 (ikea-level), 900-2000 for solid wood
lighting: 100-150 for ceiling light fixture, 50 for two bedside lamps. 50-100 for a

So I'd say $2000-2500 at the lower end, and $5000-6000 at the upper end (of course, that's my upper end - I'm sure you could spend a ton more if you wanted).

DH was thinking $1000 and I was thinking $2000...
I would be happy with our free furniture IF it were in good shape. It's not, though. Our DD got a splinter from the dresser because the wood on the bottom is falling apart :facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
We havenít done a complete redo but last year we bought new bedding. I wanted pillows and a down comforter and new sheets. I spent about $400. I got 2 down comforters (one new, one Craigslist) 3 duvet covers (thrift store otherwise YIKES) 4 down pillows, 2 sheet sets and some fabric to make a reversible bed scarf. We got an adjustable bed base (Craigslist $250) and two dressers that we refinished ($150 and way too much for refinishing because I left my husband alone in the store) they function as our night stands. Our only art is two wedding pictures.

So for bed, bedding and dressers and other here and theres I spent less than $1000. As you can see we donít like to buy new very often. the down comforters are worth it.

Budget just depends on your style and preference. Do you want ikea dressers or do you want something all wood dove tailed etc. huge difference in price there. I decided on the things I cared the most about and put the bulk of the money there.
I've bought TONS of cheap pillows and sheets over the years, and when I thought about how much I spent on those, I realized I could've just invested in like four good pillows (instead of ten crummy ones) and actually saved money :facepalm

Any particular brand of bedding/pillows/sheets you really like?

I think DH is allergic to down I would LOVE it, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I don't know about furniture, I haven't shopped for furniture in ages. For 2 good sets of sheets I'd budget $150. With the holiday sales, you can probably do better than that. I'd want about 400 thread count. Too high of a thread count and the sheets literally fall apart in a few months. I had a set of 800 thread count that were the softest things ever but they didn't last.

Pillows, I am willing to spend a lot on pillows because a bad pillow means I don't sleep well and wake up with a stiff neck. I love buckwheat hull pillows and those have come down in price, too. I bought our buckwheat hull pillows a number of years ago through a co-op so I think I paid $60 each. People love My Pillow, I guess, because they're very popular and Wal-Mart even carries them for $50 now.

The price of a comforter will range dramatically based on what you want. Down? Down alternative? Something that will still look lovely in 20 years or are you likely to get bored with in and want a new one in 5 years? Price could be $50-$500 or even higher.

If you don't want a "chemical free" mattress, then mattresses have become very cheap compared to 10 years ago. Check Costco. Compressed mattresses are all the rage. You can even return them if you don't like them. It'd be worth a Costco membership to get a great mattress, IMO, if they have the best price. Check Amazon, too. You can find highly rated mattresses for as low as $300. Mattresses aren't ridiculously thick anymore, either, thank goodness. Mattress stores are going out of business left and right because they cannot compete with the value of compressed mattresses.

If you want a "chemical free" mattress (basically no VOCs) you're going to pay more but again, much cheaper than 10 years ago when they cost thousands.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

One more thing--

I would chose one focus point that you absolute love and spend more on it. Whether it's a gorgeous comforter, a piece of art, etc. Then plan your paint colors around that.
Mattress is actually the one thing we don't need- yay! We bought our memory foam one 7 years ago and still love it.

I'll have to look into the MyPillow.

I'm more likely to buy a comforter and plan "art" around it (I use that term very loosely... I hate hanging art, but our bedroom walls are bare, and I also hate that I like the painted Bible verses from Hobby Lobby, or cute quotes... stuff like that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katigre View Post
IKEA level of cheap for all of those items would be $1200 minimum. I'm a minimalist when it comes to decorating though - we have nothing on our bedroom walls .
That's about the price DH was thinking
We don't have tons of art. But I would like our wedding picture and maybe a Bible verse up on the wall or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
I would check out Wayfair clearance and find ones you like if you want new
Good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegMarch View Post
FWIW, I LOVE Ikea's Hemnes dressers and sideboard.

I'd want a budget of at least $2000 and would plan to have another $500 "on hold" for if I find something just right here and there over the next year or so.

DIY is not my jam either. I like crafting but nothing that requires any structural integrity.
I have looked at those dressers!! Yay!
Yeah... I made the mistake of buying a $50 dresser when I was pregnant with DD and thinking I was going to DIY it.
I didn't. Sold it for $20 a year later :facepalm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
We have the Ikea hemnes bed and have for almost 11 years. I still love it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Nice! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
We have high end consignment shops here where you can say what you like and they call if something matches
We probably do too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I love those too. The hemnes dressers were the ones I had picked for our room but they were one inch too big for the space. I was really sad! They open and close so nicely and I really like the look. Plus from what Iíve geard they really hold up and the prices are great. I like what we ended up with but Iím still a little sad.
That's three votes for Hemnes dressers, haha. I actually do like Ikea stuff. All DD's furniture in her room is Ikea, and it's fine and seems like it'll hold up nicely.

A little part of me would really like a super sturdy Amish-built bed or something But I don't want to drop that much money.
__________________
Christine
current WAHM; former high school teacher; wife to pharmacist DH "R" since 7.31.2010
Lila in heaven, 8/2015
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017


Gluten free since March 2013
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
knitlove
Rose Garden
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vermont
Posts: 14,454
knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

It depends on how you define matching.

All light wood? All pine? All painted white? Having the same general lines? Thoes are all ways to match that isn't buying it all together.

I will say that I love ikea. They have different levels of things. You can find things that will last for years. Our dining room table we have had for 16 years it looks a little bit worne but it is our only table, for eating and school and crafts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
__________________
Wife to a wonderful DH for 17 years.
Momma to my 29 weeker Early Bird who is nine
and my little Wiggle Worm born 33 weeks who is five
knitlove is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #14
Virginia
Rose Garden
 
Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,940
Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
It depends on how you define matching.

All light wood? All pine? All painted white? Having the same general lines? Thoes are all ways to match that isn't buying it all together.

I will say that I love ikea. They have different levels of things. You can find things that will last for years. Our dining room table we have had for 16 years it looks a little bit worne but it is our only table, for eating and school and crafts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
All the same color. Similar style in general.
Everything in our house clashes right now. I don't need it to be matchy-match, but... the clashing is irksome to me.
__________________
Christine
current WAHM; former high school teacher; wife to pharmacist DH "R" since 7.31.2010
Lila in heaven, 8/2015
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017


Gluten free since March 2013
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
mamacat (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #15
twoplustwo
Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,978
twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Budget for Master Bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
How do I find matching used high quality furniture, though, is what I struggle with/have been struggling with in my brain

We really needed a new couch when our cat peed on our old one. We already re-stuffed the cushions once when she did it before.

This couch was expensive brand (i only know expensive bc I googled the brand and their couches start at $5000) that we got cheap at Goodwill. But in that case we had a gross looking old one, so I *had* one when I Ran into that one. But we needed a new couch immediately this time and I just couldn't figure out how to get one used for any decent price without the free that it has hidden odors.

We got a cheap one from IKEA. We definitely wanted cheap in case the cat struck again OR just bc we have animal(s) and children. It was the fake leather so EASY to clean. And sure enough the cat (who only has back claws) got scared adn jumped on and off the sofa and put tiny claws marks on it. It's not really noticable but I did say - and that is why we bought an inexpensive new from Ikea. So one thing I would factor in, what is your household like. Are you the type of home where you sigh and say and that is why we can't have nice things. Or do you plan to keep it for a long, long time.

I love ikea. We just got new curtains from there for $25 total for both panels. They may not be the best quality but IKEA things seem to last longer for us than Walmart things. Tho dh has a computer desk from them that he had before I met him. So its over 20 years old and still looks fantastic. Its glass and metal and like new looking.

Also, we are looking to rehome our cat if anyone is interested.
__________________
ESfJ DYT 3/2, married to My Guy (2003)
mom to:
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, ďYou are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.Ē Matthew 16:16

I use FB mostly to KIT w/ family & friends I know IRL, so please don't be offended if I don't accept your request.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
knitlove (11-17-2018), Virginia (11-17-2018)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 PM.


A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Amazon.com affiliate link

Copyright 1997-2017 by Gentle Christian Mothers™
An alternative-minded, evangelical Christian community supporting attachment parenting and natural living.

Do not post content elsewhere.
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/

Some smilies created and copyrighted by Mazeguy.
Some smilies and avatars created and copyrighted by flowermama and children -- do not use elsewhere.

Soli Deo Gloria
To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen. ~ Romans 16:27 (KJV)

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.