Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
dakotablue
Rose Trellis

dakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond reputedakotablue has a reputation beyond repute
Default hardest ages?

So I know for DS1 18m to about 2 years it was like a little demon child moved in.

Are there other general ages that are very difficult? We are thinking about the spacing for our third (I was thinking longer than shorter, but I got to wear my new nephew today )

So What are/ were the hardest ages (and please don't say all of them )

Thanks

PS...the 3 under 3 thread has be worried even though DS1 would be over 3....

Pumpkin Boy born via c/s 10/09
Love Bug Boy VBAC 2/11
Lady Bug VBAC 2/13

Proud wife to Dh since 12/06

Happily co-sleeping, breastfeeding, babywearing and homeschooling. gf/df/soy/nut free

enFj
dakotablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Marzipan
Deactivated

Marzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond reputeMarzipan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hardest ages?

With dd 3 and 8 so far have been the hardest. With ds, 4 was by far the worst. With dd2, she's an angel and everything she does is adorable. My kids are all 2+years apart and that has worked well for us.
Marzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

The notorious ages around here (and by here I mean GCM) are 3 and 6. But each age has a period of disequilibrium.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
GraemesMomma (04-11-2012), MercyInDisguise (04-18-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
MiriamRose
Rose Garden

Growing is hard work

MiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond repute

DS went through a rough patch around 16-19 months. But, we also had a lot of transition going on around that time.

He is 28 months now, and I think started the 2.5 disequilibrium maybe 4-6 weeks ago. I am having a much harder time handling this stage than the 1.5...maybe because I'm pg, maybe because he really was such an angel child until recently. He is still an overall very laid-back, delightful toddler and it's all normal 2yo stuff...just the hitting and biting and testing of boundaries really frays my nerves, esp since he saves most of it for when I am alone with him. I can't wait to get on the other side of this phase to some smoother sailing for a little while.

Wife to my Submariner for 5 years!
MiriamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

For ds1 it was 4, ds2 its been 4 and so far 5, ds3......all of them
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #6
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

My dad used to say that with me the most difficult age was 16. W/ my oldest dd - it was probably late 17/early 18. She was tough at 3 also. In fact, she was just the most difficult of the 3 so far.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Half ages, in general, are tough.

After that, it really depends on the child/parent. Also, what triggers me might not even phase you.

3, 4 and 6 were tough for dd1.

15m, 2 and 4.5 have been tough for dd2.

3 has been tough for dd3.

Three's been a really busy age that's full of big feelings, experimenting with word power, and highly sensory-charged. I have to stay on top of my 3yos all. the. time. That said, they're also remarkably delightful and verbal and imaginative.

Really, try as we might have to time everything "just right", things really tend to happen the way they will, and you're bound to have your hellish age combos even with docile, perfectly timed kids. The best laid plans of mice and men....<chuckle>
Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
GraemesMomma (04-11-2012), Marzipan (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Elora
Deactivated

Elora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond reputeElora has a reputation beyond repute

ds1 - 4
only age that's been hard for me

BEYOND obnoxious
Elora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

3-3 1/2 is the toughest from my experience if I had to pinpoint it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
Barefoot Bookworm (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Firebird Rising
Rose Garden

Encircling Mountains

Location: High above a great and beautiful canyon in a Golden State city...
Firebird Rising has disabled reputation

Six is killing me...
Put together with a very verbal articulate almost four year old and I'm most days.

Привет! Меня зовут Джен!
Hi! My name is Jen!

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks - Gandalf

Firebird Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Barefoot Bookworm
Rose Garden

Barefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond reputeBarefoot Bookworm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, 3 until 3.5 STINKS in my house. I've done it twice now and oh holy banana, it's not fun. My DD2 turns 3 in December and I'm not looking forward to it.
Lamb (12),
Miss Mousie (11),
Billy Goat (9),
Wren and Hedgehog (5)!
Barefoot Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Niphredil
Deactivated

Niff-er-doodle!

Niphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond reputeNiphredil has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle with two. Which is contrary to a lot of people's experiences here... Just goes to show how much different kids and different parents strengths, weaknesses and triggers play into it.

Two, for us thus far, is a lot of sensory need, experimenting with words and power, and loooots of huge shrieky feelings.
Niphredil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute

For me 3-3.5 was the hardest. And when I had a 1.5yo and a 3.5yo at the same time...well I think I completely shut down and went into survival mode for a few months. It was hard.
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

With my very verbal and less adventurous kids, 1yo was easy. But with my verbally average but physically advanced kids, young one is exhausting.
With my sweet & compliant first born son, 2y & 3y were easy. With my daughters, not so much. OH, the drama.

From my experience w/ kids in general over the years, working with them in numerous capacities, I'd say generally speaking, at least for me, 3yo might be the toughest age. Many 3's are articulate enough to make it sound like they are totally rational beings who you should be able to reason with, but that is very rarely the case.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #15
MarynMunchkins
Deactivated

MarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond reputeMarynMunchkins has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, the age I dislike the most is baby. I think under 18 months is the worst of all, and it has been for all my kids. I'm not a baby person.
MarynMunchkins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarynMunchkins For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (04-18-2012), Waterlogged (04-18-2012)