Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #1
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default If you tend toward minimalism...

...how many sets of bedsheets and bathroom towels do you have?

In our home, the kids each have two sets, basically because if they are sick, or have an accident (fortunately we are pretty much beyond that now), I obviously wasn't washing and drying sheets in the middle of the night. Dh and I have only one set, but I wouldn't mind having one more set for us for convenience sake; there have been times when I probably should have changed the sheets but skipped because I didn't want deal with laundering everything before bed that day.

For towels, we have four bath sized, eight hand towels, and four washcloths. Today as dd used (and completely soaked) three of the four bath towels for her shower, I definitely thought we could use a few more.

Growing up, my parents had so many sheets and towels. They bought more, but never really got rid of any (unless they were ripped or otherwise damaged beyond use - then my father took them for his garage). I mean, my folks still have (and use!) sheets they received as wedding gifts and they've been married 47 years.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:46 PM   #2
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you tend toward minimalism...

We all have 1 fitted sheet. I have a stash of top sheets(not sure how many maybe 4) that we only use if someone needs a sheet due to illness or whatever. We don't use tops sheets to cover with. We have 4 bath towels. One for each of us. We also have 4 beach towels we use if needed for emergencies. I think we might have a couple more old towels stored in the closet with the sheets. I kept them on hand for back when we sometimes had family stay with us. We would let guests use the nice towels and we would use the beach towels or old ones. I probably,don't need those anymore since our guests usually stay in hotels now.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 09:02 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Two sets of sheets for each bed. When I strip sheets, I put the clean ones on immediately. Otherwise I'm likely to forget and it's 10 pm and I'm fumbling around , cranky, trying to make my bed.

We have a LOT of bath towels. Probably too many. I need to get rid of some. I have some that I received for high school graduation in 1991. They're from Lord & Taylor and still pretty decent!

We re-used bath towels 2-3 times.

I do like having a lot of wash cloths, though. With 6-7 showers/baths happening every day and occasional other uses, we go through a lot in a week and they really don't add much to the laundry.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (01-19-2021), Pragmatist (01-20-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #4
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

minimalism does not come naturally to me but is more comfortable for me so I'm trying hard to get there.

Each girl has a full size bed with one fitted sheet. Neither likes top sheets and they use easily washable blankets instead of comforters for now. We have waterproof mattress covers for each bed. If someone is sick we have large turkish towels or throw blankets that can go under them if needed. I do hope to get one more fitted to have as backup but right now we are drowning in towels with no linen closet so I don't have a good place to keep extras.

The big bed is a king size and it has a single set of sheets. We've tried extras in the past but storing is bulky and we find it works better to just wash fast Again, waterproof mattress pad, extra textiles under sick folks if needed.

Washcloths, I think we have around 20 for the adults. I have it in mind this week to wash all and sort down to the ones in best shape and keep 10. We have just got old ones in rotation that we keep tossing into the wash and adding back in I suspect that we can go down to 7 since I prefer a soak sack or scrubby sponge. The girls have a couple cutesy washclothes that were gifts and by the time they outgrow those we'll be ready to get a new set of matching ones for all of the house.

We have 6 towels in usual rotation. Each girl has their favorite, and then DH and I just use the others a few times each. BUT we also have approximately a million others that we keep handy for the backdoor when they come in with snowy or swim gear, putting in an animal crate, camping (4 people for a week who are swimming, showering, etc in a humid environment where nothing dries in less than a day.) I need a better solution here.

I
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (01-19-2021)
Old 01-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone here dislikes top sheets, too. I probably should just keep the fitted ones (we also have easily washed blankets) but somehow it seems wrong not to have both.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
Old 01-19-2021, 09:51 PM   #6
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I have just gone through our linen closet and got rid of so much!

We each have 2 sets of sheets each, top and fitted (2 for summer, 2 for winter) and 4 bath towels.
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:55 PM   #7
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I lean towards minimalism and make an effort.

We have 5 people w 4 beds, a total of 9 fitted sheets (2 king for DH and I and 2/bed w an extra. We have zero extra pillow cases though and I want to change that so I have a clean and dirty set. Otherwise I get like Lisa and get annoyed when I have no sheets. I don’t do kid beds though We have zero flat sheets and 4 fitted sheets for our camper that stay packed away.

For bath towels we have about 10, 4 hair towels. We have about 100 shop towels for hand drying 50 microfiber for the kitchen and bathroom wiping and cleaning as well as dusting. I think we have 4 decorative hand towels and 5 washcloths as most people use their hands for face washing here. Due to redoing my kitchen cabinets at the old house we have no old towels

We don’t use paper products but I I don’t reuse cleaning towels or hand towels. I just cannot. So I have a lot of those but they r in a small place and Kept under control. I clean my kitchen every single day and wipe counters at least 2/day and use at least 4/day just in the kitchen.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 01-20-2021 at 01:44 PM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:50 AM   #8
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
I lean towards minimalism and make an effort.

We have 5 people w 4 beds, a total of 9 fitted sheets (2 king for DH and I and 2/bed w an extra. We have zero extra pillow cases though and I want to change that so I have a clean and dirty set. Otherwise I get like Lisa and get annoyed when I have no sheets. I don’t do kid beds though We have zero sheets and 4 fitted sheets for our camper that stay packed away.

For bath towels we have about 10, 4 hair towels. We have about 100 shop towels for hand drying 50 microfiber for the kitchen and bathroom wiping and cleaning as well as dusting. I think we have 4 decorative hand towels and 5 washcloths as most people use their hands for face washing here. Due to redoing my kitchen cabinets at the old house we have no old towels

We don’t use paper products but I I don’t reuse cleaning towels or hand towels. I just cannot. So I have a lot of those but they r in a small place and Kept under control. I clean my kitchen every single day and wipe counters at least 2/day and use at least 4/day just in the kitchen.
Cleaning towels. Yes. I have probably twenty (about 10 kitchen and 10 old kitchen that have been moved into the cleaning pile) and maybe 20 cloth napkins that dh insists on using for single-use hand towels. I feel like I'm always washing dish towels since we also don't use paper.

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
The Following User Says Thank You to HuggaBuggaMommy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #9
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
Cleaning towels. Yes. I have probably twenty (about 10 kitchen and 10 old kitchen that have been moved into the cleaning pile) and maybe 20 cloth napkins that dh insists on using for single-use hand towels. I feel like I'm always washing dish towels since we also don't use paper.
I do too. We also use family cloth and bidets. Good thing laundry is therapeutic for me but I don’t fold family cloth or hand towels. I lay shop towels flat for in the bathroom baskets. Family cloth I just toss in it’s bin. My bathroom decor is 3 garbage cans a family cloth bin and a hand towel bin.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (01-23-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 09:14 AM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Bedsheets: one set for each bed with an additional set for each size of bed. For example, two kids are in twin size beds, we have 3 total twin sheet sets. Two kids are in full size beds, we have 3 full size sheets. One queen bed, two sheet sets. That gives everyone an option to change their sheets in an emergency (on avaialble set in each size) but quite frankly most of the time we just strip, wash, and remake.

Bath towels: A few years back I bought each child two of their own colour of bath towel and they keep them in their room, use, and wash when they desire. It simplifies our towel stash SO much! Kids were using a towel once and throwing it in the wash -- 6 people, 6 daily towels... that's just insane.

I also have a set of towels that dh and I use and are available for guests. I think it's a set of 6.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 09:22 AM   #11
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

For most of my kids lives we had one set of sheets per bed. Now we have 2 for kids beds and 4 for our bed (2 summer, 2 winter)

Bath towels I had 10 but I bought 4 more recently and they aren’t in general use. I think I have 8 hand towels

I keep the towels and kids sheets etc in our small linen sheets but our towels go in a drawer in our room.

I do use specific folds to fit my space and I think that helps. I stand my sheets sets up like filing and each set is bundled together in one package so no one has to dig to find anything.

Last edited by Mother of Sons; 01-20-2021 at 09:36 AM.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (01-23-2021), tempus vernum (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #12
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
I stand my sheets sets up like filing and each set is bundled together in one package so no one has to dig to find anything.
Can you explain this more? Maybe even with pictures. I was just thinking that I want to get flat sheets this year as we won't have individual window A/C units (better for the energy bill but we are all used to controlling our own thermostat).

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 11:22 AM   #13
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggaBuggaMommy View Post
...how many sets of bedsheets and bathroom towels do you have?
Bedsheets. Everyone has 2 sets. I used to change each week but now with my dc older and way more helpful and me just generally more on top of chores because my dc are older and more helpful , Saturday I strip beds, wash sheets, remake beds. Sometimes if dc sleep in too much, i say - strip your bed. Sometimes I hand them their sheets and say make your bed. But its all done Saturday now and the same ones go back on after washing.
Everyone had a 3rd set of flannel sheets but ds dislikes his and we gave them away this year. Dd either had them stored on the top shelf of her closet not in use or we gave them away last year. Not sure for our bed. Dh hates them so they are stored somewhere unless I got frustrated at their lack of use and gave them away.

Bathroom towels. A nice big stack. We use a lot of towels. Old ones get moved down to dog towels. Old dog towels become rags or garage/oil/one use towels.

Beach towels - I also have a big stack of them.

I really like a nice clean towel and may be one of the biggest perpetrators of the excessive weekly towel use. But as the laundry person .
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 12:04 PM   #14
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Can you explain this more? Maybe even with pictures. I was just thinking that I want to get flat sheets this year as we won't have individual window A/C units (better for the energy bill but we are all used to controlling our own thermostat).

The first picture is a queen sheet set (fitted, flat and 2 pillow cases). The second pic is my linen closet the top shelf is all the sheet sets and duvet covers and solo pillow cases (my mil gives the kids a new pillow case every year) the next shelf is towels and bathroom things.

Last edited by Mother of Sons; 01-20-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (01-21-2021), Aerynne (01-20-2021), HuggaBuggaMommy (01-23-2021), PeacefulConviction (01-20-2021), Soliloquy (01-23-2021), tempus vernum (01-20-2021)
Old 01-20-2021, 01:10 PM   #15
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone has a regular set and a flannel set, a waterproof mattress protector, plus we have one extra twin set jic. Flannel ones are packed away in the summer.

Everyone has a bath towel and a beach towel plus we have maybe three extra bath towels. Beach towels are kept in the garage with swimming stuff.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post: