Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #166
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation
Default Re: Decluttering thread!

You can do it!
I might tackle the closet today since I am home bound with a sick kid and I certainly can't handle the mind numbing nonsense she is going to want to wayvh on TV all day.

I had extra motivation last night when hubs wee just trying to get his cycling bag out to put w gift away and umbrellas fell on him
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:03 AM   #167
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
I just read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and it helped give me a good kick-in-the-pants. I am always happy to declutter, but she's obviously more intense about it than I've ever been. I am going to try her method, though, and start on my clothes this week.

While reading it, I cleared out a few bags of clothes from our various closets. They're loaded in my car and just need to go to the thrift shop.
I heard a great interview with the translator.

I fold my girls clothes the way she sujests it is a great help on the browsing the clothes.

I need to get rid of more stuff I am 150 away from complete ing the 2014 in 2014 chart.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #168
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
I heard a great interview with the translator.

I fold my girls clothes the way she sujests it is a great help on the browsing the clothes.

I need to get rid of more stuff I am 150 away from complete ing the 2014 in 2014 chart.
I looked at a video of the clothing folding - how do you know what the item of clothing is when it is folded that way? Don't you have to unfold it to see? I would love to find a simple way for my kids to fold clothes so they would actually fold them.
What is the 2014 in 2014 chart? Are you actually counting things you are getting rid of? That would kill me. It is like math. I would probably get rid of less if I had to count it and I would still miscount and - eww - don't like the idea of having to count things. Reason 4215 why I am not an accountant.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #169
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

I did it! I tackled that scary closet! We now have an entire bookshelf in the closet providing a home for our cycling gear. You can see the floor which was gross so I scrubbed it which lead to a trip to Lowes for floor samples. I think I know what I am spending my Christmas money on now. New entry, closet & kitchen flooring.

Last edited by WanderingJuniper; 12-26-2014 at 03:33 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (12-28-2014), Punkie (12-26-2014), RiverRock (12-26-2014), staceylayne (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #170
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, we went a very long time with only two dressers for 6 people. . I know you'll be so happy once this job is done!
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #171
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

Our big,beautiful dresser is in our bedroom
Husband moved around our furniture to make it all fit nicely and it gave everything a new feel
Tomorrow,I can decide what to put in there. It's absolute bliss to have unused drawers
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
believer (12-29-2014), JoyfulMom (12-31-2014), sunflowermom (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #172
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I went through my dd's clothing with her and we pulled out some that no longer fits or she won't wear and I donated a bag of it already via a neighborhood facebook group to someone and I have several bags of random items to donate when a truck will be in our neighborhood to pick it up. I am also trying to make crafts out of old items.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:25 PM   #173
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Six trash bags of stuff have made their way out of my house since Christmas Day!! It's glorious.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
believer (12-29-2014), bentlaj11 (12-30-2014), JoyfulMom (12-31-2014), RiverRock (12-30-2014), sunflowermom (12-30-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #174
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #175
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I attacked the books, extra homeschool, games, puzzles, etc today. Only tossed a few things, but I made good progress. Hoping to finish up later. My brain hurts from digging into a big project with kids all around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #176
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
I looked at a video of the clothing folding - how do you know what the item of clothing is when it is folded that way? Don't you have to unfold it to see? I would love to find a simple way for my kids to fold clothes so they would actually fold them.
What is the 2014 in 2014 chart? Are you actually counting things you are getting rid of? That would kill me. It is like math. I would probably get rid of less if I had to count it and I would still miscount and - eww - don't like the idea of having to count things. Reason 4215 why I am not an accountant.
I haven't seen her video just heard it on the radio so may be I dont to exactly like her. I roll every thing up so that you are looking at the ends and you can tell what color the thing is and I can tell (I don't think early bird can) weather it is long or short sleeves or what not.

And yes the 2014 in 2014 chart is a two pages of boxes to cross off. It helps me because I can see some thing tangible for what I have done and in our space even getting rid of over 2000 things it isn't obvious. So it helps me stay motivated.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #177
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

I also tackled our landing zone during the break. It was two shelves, a large basket full of random, a bowl full of random and a cabinet.

I was also able to organize and clean the top of the piano.

Last edited by WanderingJuniper; 12-31-2014 at 03:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WanderingJuniper For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (12-30-2014), RiverRock (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #178
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
ok so I went and found a video and I do that same basic ting but I roll the clothes up. I find that they stand up better that way so they don't fall over when the draw is half empty.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #179
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I roll the clothes as well. A lady at one of our MOPS meetings gave me the idea and I thought it was brilliant. So now I fold into a rectangle and then roll at the end instead of folding again.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (01-01-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #180
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice

I went through my little kids dresser and room yday. One bag of trash and one bag for donation. I even got the closet cleaned. I spent about four hours in their room. I still have a short list of things my Dh needs to help with in that room.
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
JoyfulMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyfulMom For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (01-01-2015)