Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #196
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decluttering thread!

I put all the Christmas stuff away today. Looks so much nicer. I have a stack of books to give away or sell. And I have a bag of clothes in my car to be donated.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #197
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
I just read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and it helped give me a good kick-in-the-pants. I am always happy to declutter, but she's obviously more intense about it than I've ever been. I am going to try her method, though, and start on my clothes this week.

While reading it, I cleared out a few bags of clothes from our various closets. They're loaded in my car and just need to go to the thrift shop.
I have only one problem with her approach. If I get rid of all the clothes that don't bring me Joy, I won't have hardly anything left. As in two maybe three shirts. And I am not financially ready to go shopping.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (01-03-2015), believer (01-03-2015), Soliloquy (01-12-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #198
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm motivated by all the recent posts. My goal today is to work in the toy closet (transforming it into a little Lego room) and my walk in closet.

I also want to do some cooking to declutter the fridge of some food that needs to be made into dinner. I have a big pot of bone broth to be made into soup and a pot of potato water to be made into bread. Then I want to do some meal planning to help declutter the pantry and freezer.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #199
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Silence is golden unless you have boys. Then it means they're into something!

easygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I went through the kids books and "thinned" them out.
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
and Charlie the litter trained Chihuahua
easygoinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoinmomma For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (01-03-2015), Soliloquy (01-12-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #200
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Today I'm putting away the Christmas stuff. Of course we got more stuff this year, and I'm trying to stuff it all into the same size boxes that everything was stored in last year.

I need to declutter, but the kids (and DH) won't let me get rid of any more Christmas stuff. FTR, I got rid of a bunch of stuff last year, so the collection of Christmas decorations is already pared down.

How do you decide what to keep for next year and what to get rid of?

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #201
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by easygoinmomma View Post
I went through the kids books and "thinned" them out.
I did this in December but I just went through them again and found about 15 more.
easygoinmomma (01-03-2015)
Old 01-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #202
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
How do you decide what to keep for next year and what to get rid of?
Last year I purged a lot of our Christmas decor. This year I am putting the boxes in the garage instead of down into the crawl space. I need to go through the things again, purging and washing. Our crawl space got damp enough to make our ornaments smell awful. What isn't worth washing, isn't worth keeping.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #203
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Bel- I just get rid of everything that I'm sick of looking at. I don't even care if it can be replaced. We had some plastic ornaments bought from Big Lots 10 years ago and looking at them made me feel like exploding into tinsel and rage. Buhbai.

I didn't purge much today other than the obligatory plastic thing (or three). I did buy some baskets though.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 PM   #204
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't stand the playroom anymore. I told DD1 to pick 10-12 toys and the rest go in the basement. She can switch them out when she wants something different. And I was able to get rid of the other shelf in there so more room to play. I left the baby a few things and the room feels so light and airy. And she has board games and craft stuff that she can ask for so she should still have plenty to play with.

Next I'm tackling clothes. I'm thinking of cutting my outfits down to a few "mom uniform" pieces or something. Laundry is driving me nuts. Any tips there?

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:50 PM   #205
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I went through the candles and got rid of a couple things I don't love. Baby steps, baby steps...

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
believer (01-03-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #206
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a small basket yesterday at goodwill to organize things in and came home today to see my MIL had filled it with tchotchkes and trash

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

The Following User Says Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
blondie (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 12:19 PM   #207
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I would shake her. . Kidding...I kid....

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Organized the pantry because it was more fun than the other 773839 things I should be doing. Made 20 bucks on maternity clothes I don't love and sold half my puzzles.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:51 AM   #208
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

Okay I got today's plastic purge done - bye bye plastic baby links.

For my declutter project, I'm going to tackle one junk drawer. Just one. I can do this.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #209
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed so I set a timer for 10minutes and got stuck into DS's room. In 10 minutes I managed to unearth half his carpet and am calling it good.

I kept resetting the timer in my room 10minutes in all I had done was pick up all the junk next to dh's side of the bed and sort it into piles. After 30minutes I had the room back to looking no worse than it did to start with

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:40 AM   #210
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Silence is golden unless you have boys. Then it means they're into something!

easygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond repute

I went through our homeschooling/games/sensory bin closet and got rid of a bunch of things. I also fixed one of our book shelves and am in the process of putting our homeschooling books on it.
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
and Charlie the litter trained Chihuahua
easygoinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to easygoinmomma For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (01-05-2015)