Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-25-2005, 08:01 PM   #16
herbalwriter

Default Re: Why not bleach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene
Tea trea oil works great on mold and mildew also.... I had a hard time giving up my "easy " cleaners too, but I found that so many natural products worked just as well and I didnt have the worries
Is there a natural alternative for Tilex? I use all-natural cleaners everywhere, but I simply can't get the hard-core mildew - the kind that turns the caulk around the tub black - off with anything else. ??? And I know it's the bleach in the Tilex that does it.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 PM   #17
Mothering by Heart
Deactivated

Mothering by Heart is on a distinguished road

Have you tried Oxy0clean? I thought I saw that you could use it on things other than laundry.
Mothering by Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:42 PM   #18
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
For those who are squeamish about bacteria, an excellent hard surface cleaner is a combo of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar. Use a spray bottle for each. Spray on one and then the other on top, let sit for a few seconds.
Why can't you combine them?

To prevent mold/mildew in the shower, I spray after every shower with Arm&Hammer's Clean Shower. I don't want to know if that's not ok! I scrubbed the tile shower when we moved in a year ago, and I haven't cleaned it since! No sign of mold or mildew. Well, the caulk did get a little black mold under it and dh replaced it.

I love Seventh Generation's natural cleaners in the kitchen and the bathroom. They're pricey, but they last a long time, so I splurge.

The only thing I use bleach on is when I launder my fabric shower curtain, which gets a little orange mold at the bottom where it stays wet. Can anyone tell me another way to get that out? Just laundry det. doesn't work.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:32 AM   #19
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

What about the dishwasher? I'm thinking about trying handwashing again. I hate that when I wash dishes that you can just see and smell all the bleach fumes going into my air. I usually open the door or wash dishes at night when we are sleeping. I have tried all the natural products and they just don't cut it with our water.

I've been really tempted to get some bleach lately. Just so I can bleach all our whites. What about whites? I hate that ours are so yucky. Evan wears white undershirts and they are really yucky.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:09 AM   #20
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Someone here had recommended borax (2T) and baking pwdr (1T) in the dishwasher and it works, but when I realized borax was in my ant poison, I stopped using it.

I found a brand of detergent that has no bleach - WalMart's store brand. Maybe other store brands don't have it either.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:01 PM   #21
herbalwriter

I think the borax in ant poison is different from the washing kind...? I remember reading that in a post somewhere. Anyone know?
I use a combo of borax, baking soda, washing soda, and a pinch of commercial dishwashing det. in my dishwasher - I got the recipe in the natural cleaners thread. I wish I knew how to post links to threads!! sorry.It does a good job with vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #22
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I think another one of the probs with bleach is that one of the byproducts of cholorine bleaching is dioxin, which is a known cancer-causing agent. If I use disposable feminine hygiene stuff I use peroxide-whitened.

For the dishwasher I alternate the 7th Generation stuff and conventional, as the 7G stuff doesn't do as good of a job, unfortunately, so i alternate them. I use non-chlorine bleach from 7G for my whites and it works just fine. I've used Country Save non-chl. bleach, too, with good results. I used the Tilex mildew stuff when we moved in but the "root killer" stuff works really well, so I haven't had to redo it. I keep it up with the Method shower spray.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #23
herbalwriter

I have never seen Method products. It sounds like a good line for bleach alternatives - do they have a website?

I understand the Tilex thing - it's just the only thing that works on the black mildew around here (that I've tried - there may be something else out there. I am hoping...). I don't like to use bleach also because we have a septic tank. It's not good for that at all.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:06 AM   #24
Lyn
Deactivated

Newlyweds! September 30, 2010

Lyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by singingmom
Someone here had recommended borax (2T) and baking pwdr (1T) in the dishwasher and it works, but when I realized borax was in my ant poison, I stopped using it.

I found a brand of detergent that has no bleach - WalMart's store brand. Maybe other store brands don't have it either.
My dh uses borax for curing his fish eggs. I think it works as a preservative. I'll ask him later on.

Could it be the dishwasher and not the detergent that's the problem? We use Trader Joe's powder or 7th gen. and they both work great! Our dishwasher is only 5 years old and i did notice when we got it (a free replacement on the Sears warranty ) that the dishes were definitely cleaner with the new washer. And maybe we're lucky with water here too. But you know, even if the dishes didn't get super clean I wouldn't use the regular detergent because it leaves a film on the dishes that I can feel and taste. I notice it when I'm at other people's homes. Blech!

About the vinegar and peroxide -- Because of how they interact they have to be stored separately. Also, there's a post earlier in the thread that says that the peroxide will explode if exposed to light for an extended period of time.
'
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:02 PM   #25
This Busy Mom

Quote:
I think the borax in ant poison is different from the washing kind...? I remember reading that in a post somewhere. Anyone know?
Borax is the laundry stuff... BORIC ACID is the poison... it's used in eye washes and as an antiseptic.

Borax: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

Boric Acid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boric_Acid
Old 12-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #26
Garnet
Deactivated

Garnet is on a distinguished road

I use bleach in my bathroom and kitchen cleaning. it is cheap, easy, can be used at several different strengths for several things. the problem with the melalueca stuff is it is expensive, it has to be shipped to you, you can't just run out and buy it when going low.
Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:24 PM   #27
Lyn
Deactivated

Newlyweds! September 30, 2010

Lyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really niceLyn is just really nice

I'm under the impression that melaleuca is just cleaning products with Tea Tree Oil added. In many cities you can find plain tea tree oil in the natural foods section of large grocery stores, drug stores, etc. It can be mixed with dish soap and hot water (about a dozen drops per quart of water) and used to clean that way, very cheaply. When I was adding tt oil to my diaper loads a 2 oz bottle lasted me several months.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:39 AM   #28
zebrabelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene
Tea trea oil works great on mold and mildew also.... I had a hard time giving up my "easy " cleaners too, but I found that so many natural products worked just as well and I didnt have the worries
I've tried and tried but nothing kills the mildew in my bathroom except bleach. For every day cleaning I use vinegar, baking soda or dr. bronner's, but once a month or so I have to bleach down the tub.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:25 PM   #29
herbalwriter

Same here on mildew.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #30
Linnis
Deactivated

Linnis is on a distinguished road

Bleach is bad because it's too harsh for a family setting. It is also extremely bad for asthmatics, my DH and nephew do not do well at all around it that's why it's never been in our home. I don't see the need to use a product that makes my chest burn to use or I wouldn't want touching my skin.

I can clean almost anything with watered down lemon cleaner and some elbow grease.
Linnis is offline   Reply With Quote