Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Hobbies and Crafts *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Hobbies and Crafts *Public* The place to talk about crafts, sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, etc.
A public forum.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Handicrafts Classes for homeschoolers?

I'm wanting to do a handcrafts class at our homeschool co-op. Each semester is 10 Fridays. I am thinking of doing 2 weeks of embroidery/2-3 weeks of knitting/2 weeks of crochet (just to get the basics down and see if they are interested) I would like to find 1 to 2 more hands on crafting ideas especially something that might be more likely to interest boys?

I planning on ages 10 through highschool--sometimes the moms take the classes they are interested in too. I also am using my own cash for supplies so nothing that's too pricey
Old 10-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
ctab
Rose Bouquet

ctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to beholdctab is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Handicrafts Classes for homeschoolers?

Paper sloyd would be fun, and you get a book on it in the public domain.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/learnin...per-sloyd/amp/
baby #4 due June 2015
ctab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctab For This Useful Post:
light of mine (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Small string art projects? If you use wood and nails it would attract some boys.

Hand sewing? Maybe stuffed Christmas ornaments made from felt cut outs with sequins and rickrack and a finished edge using embroidery thread? Like the looped edge shown here if you scroll down. https://oombawkadesigncrochet.com/20...ry-review.html

Macrame?
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I just did a five week sewing class with the fifth graders in our co-op. I had 12 kids (7 girls, 5 boys), one assistant who could sew, and one who only did hand sewing. We made bandannas, fleece mittens, and most of them got to the pencil bags project. I was surprised at how many of the boys actually liked sewing. I think it's the actual projects that made a difference. (Most of them were wearing their mittens today!)

It took a LOT longer to teach them the basics than I thought it would, to be honest. It was fairly chaotic, most of the time. They really needed one on one time to get it. If I had it to do again, I'd spend more time on each project and do more hand sewing. (I might even leave out the machines, which is HUGE for me because I'm primarily a machine sewer, and that's what I was asked to teach. But we had so many jams and broken threads.)

There was an article in Family Fun magazine (I think?) a few years ago about a summer sewing workshop one mom did with her kids and their friends. I made all of the projects with my kids over that summer and they were a whole lot of fun - turning a t-shirt into a tank top or sundress, hand sewing felt to make key fobs. They were the types of things that would appeal to both girls and boys.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
Sundance
Rose Garden

Sundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond reputeSundance has a reputation beyond repute

We're needle felting. 2D scenes are fairly easy, but petty.
Soap carving? I don't know much about that one, but it'd provably be easily taught & inexpensive, but intricate enough to keep older kids invested?!

Wife to my Lumberjack,

Mom to DD1 (May 2007), DS (April 2009) &
DD2 (July 2011), DD3 (October 2013)
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundance For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Paper crafts such as origami, teabag folding, iris folding?

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #7
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I recently made origami water bombs with a group of homeschooled kids. They were enjoyed by all. We used really large sheets for cranes and that was also fun.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
light of mine (10-14-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
light of mine
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Baby smooches

light of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond reputelight of mine has a reputation beyond repute

So many good ideals! We do have a lady who teaches sewing and an older lady who comes in just to do origami (she's crazy awesome), so I wouldn't want to step on toes. I especially like the string art idea if I can do it without much cost, because my ds just got interested in a kit the other day that was a deer head, so I know at least one boy would be interested
Old 10-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #9
RiverRock

I've done string art with a small group. I used spruce wood because it is very soft. All the kids could hammer nails into this. We drew our own patterns onto paper, and then nailed the paper into place and ripped it out when the nailing was done. There is some cost to this if you don't have supplies on hand with wood, nails, hammer, string, and stain. If I ever do string art with a larger group I think I would buy the largest roll of string and then portion it by rolling it onto something like toilet paper rolls. Can you delegate some of the prep work and ask kids to bring a small hammer from home?
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
PrincessAnika
Rose Garden

dreaming of purple butterflies & bravehearted seahorsies :)

PrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond reputePrincessAnika has a reputation beyond repute

We did illuminated art in high school in a coop, that was fun. Culminated in a field trip to the metropolitan museum of art in manhattan, but that was optional.
Maybe some scherenschnitte? There are some fairly simple patterns available online for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angel m/c 6/12/07 @39d, 4/19/16 @6dpo, 8/3/16 @37d
DD1 - K (peanut) 7/26/09
DD2 - M (monkey) 4/19/11
DS1 - C (squishy) 3/23/13
DS2 - J (rascal) 2/4/15
DS3 - A 6/16/17
11/9/7/5/3

::Q:: I add a little excitement, a little spice, to your lives, and all you do is complain. Where is your adventurous spirit, your imagination?

add me on FB
ISFj/p - depends on the day of the week. type 2. i think.

PrincessAnika is offline   Reply With Quote