Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #781
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D. R. P. T. ! (dietary revamp processing thread ;) )

I found this today to add to my GAPS arsenal. If you know someone contemplating beginning GAPS, this would be good to add to the GAPS Underwhelm Pdf.

I'd started going through the recipes I've printed off and clipped out of magazines and such to add to my GAPs binder. I have some magazines and such I have not been through yet - but what I plan on doing is striking through ingredients that are not compliant and subbing, and the rest of the stuff that is normal American/German/Ethnic diet stuff, keeping those in the folders I have and coming back to them later when we do stuff with friends and family.

I found a LOT of recipes that work. And that's just going through two 4" binders with recipes I've collected in the last 4 years. I still have about 18 magazines, and 20+ cookbooks to look through and tag with post it notes saying what stage the recipes would work with and what changes (if any) need to happen.

I'm slowly thinking I can do this more than I have been.
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #782
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegirl View Post
Is paleo easier than GAPS?
Having done both, YES. No question about it. We've done The Maker's Diet, Traditional Foods, Paleo, & GAPS. GAPS is not simply a dietary re-vamp, it is a healing protocol. It's much, much more than a list of foods you do/don't eat. That being said, if you need it, it is worth it.

Right now we are a combination of GAPS and Paleo. Paleo doesn't allow dairy, or at least very minimal dairy. GAPS allows home-fermented (lactose free) dairy. GAPS doesn't allow sweet potatoes, maple syrup, tapioca, or arrowroot but paleo does.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (01-02-2013), simplegirl (01-02-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #783
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I have a question - everyone had mentioned using "aminos" instead of soy sauce when swapping over to gaps/paleo - what kind of aminos exactly? I was trying to search for them here, and I got all kinds of results, whey and other items and I had no idea what to choose.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #784
milkdud
Rose Trellis

milkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadassahSukkot View Post
I have a question - everyone had mentioned using "aminos" instead of soy sauce when swapping over to gaps/paleo - what kind of aminos exactly? I was trying to search for them here, and I got all kinds of results, whey and other items and I had no idea what to choose.
We use Coconut Aminos.
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
milkdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #785
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Coconut aminos are scrumptious!!! They're quite expensive, though, but they go on sale.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Annalou (01-08-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #786
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't tried coconut aminos yet, but I have used Kikkoman's GF soy sauce I've only found it at one grocery store so far though. Just mentioning it for those who aren't cutting out soy...

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #787
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

ok, that looks like something I have to order from the UK, so price and shipping - we'd have to wait a few months until our budget gets re-sorted. The price did not look so bad in the US, but the source that has them in the EU has 13.50 pound shipping to Germany + the price of the actual liquid aminos... 3 of them at 23-something pound. yikes. That puts it around 30€. ouch.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #788
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

Bragg's is good too, and it's just "fermented soy beans" on the label if soy is ok for you, that is.
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #789
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

I'm not finding that here either. Weirdness. I wonder if there is any trouble importing that. Probably have to go down to the local Import/Duty offices and ask. Sometimes you just never know here.

On the plus side, I made a half OK GAPS meal yesterday. I tested the cauliflower "rice" recipe and we had meatloaf. I always add some baby food meat, and the one I chose happened to have potatoes and carrots, so not GAPS ok. But, it was awesome.
I LOVED the "rice". The kids had a hard time trying the new meal. Crazy, since they almost always are up for meatloaf. We had trouble convincing them to eat and ended up resorting to bribery. . . anything to keep them from waking at midnight or later begging for food.

DH tried it and said it was "interesting, but nothing like rice". Pffft.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #790
Annalou
Rose Bush

Crunchy mama

Annalou is a glorious beacon of lightAnnalou is a glorious beacon of lightAnnalou is a glorious beacon of lightAnnalou is a glorious beacon of lightAnnalou is a glorious beacon of lightAnnalou is a glorious beacon of light

we are doing a GAPSy/primal/paleo/traditional/grain-free diet thingy haha

we were aiming for the GAPS intro, but I'm not sure I'll even get there, so we started doing a few primal/paleo foods in with the full GAPS stuff, but I like the idea of ferments and stuff, need to get better at making some though!
~Anna~
to HB-DD Nakyla 8/12/08

HB-stillborn 38w DS Anias 4/15/11

following a grain-free, sugar-free
Paleo/Primal/GAPS type diet

Annalou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Annalou For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #791
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

That's kind of how we are doing it. I'm slowly getting things changed so if I find something Paleo/Primal that is almost Gaps, we will do it. If I find something Gaps that i know will be a hit, we do it. It's slow going, but it's going.

I'm still sifting recipes, but the good thing is I found that almost 1/3rd-1/2 of what I had in both German and English from newspaper clippings to try were actually ok if I swap out one or two ingredients, or leave out the side dish. So that gives me a lot more meat we can do without going "this is boring, what else can I have?"

I did want to ask the more experienced GAPSers if this recipe for KFC coleslaw could work with a swap to honey, and how much that'd be? (half of 1/3rd cup?)
This is the only (at all!) coleslaw I will eat. I made some up today and was thinking as I went along, this probably could be done GAPS, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking the honey might make it a little more liquid, but I have no issues with that. I like mine a little (not a lot) runny. The KFC that is local to us swapped out to a malted vinegar so it's now not something I can have if we go out.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #792
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still plugging along with our Traditional Foods meal plan.

This is the first night for a repeat meal, sort of. We're having pan seared chicken thighs with broccoli and rice. Last time we had it with quinoa made with leftover enchilada sauce from a crockpot chicken, so the flavor profile will be different enough for me.

I'm enjoying soaking things. I've noticed that the higher-fat diet helps stabilize my mood.

I made my own mayo on Friday and it turned out great!

No ferments or cultures yet.

A friend of mine from MOPS has a local source for a SCOBY so hopefully I can start on making some kombucha this month or next.

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearl In Oyster For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (01-09-2013), Stiina (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #793
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking about C yesterday. How is she doing on your new diet? Glad you're still enjoying it and plugging along. I'm in a rut, because all we eat is beef and I think I have made every dish imaginable to man. Seriously.

I can't WAIT until we get chickens!!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #794
LearningMama
Rose Trellis

LearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond reputeLearningMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiina View Post
I was thinking about C yesterday. How is she doing on your new diet? Glad you're still enjoying it and plugging along. I'm in a rut, because all we eat is beef and I think I have made every dish imaginable to man. Seriously.

I can't WAIT until we get chickens!!!
I feel the same way about chicken
Welcome Baby "YoYo" !! January 2014
Keeper of one grey cat Liz

...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40
LearningMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #795
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for asking, Stiina. For the time being we aren't keeping her off much of anything. I have been limiting her dairy intake still, but she's getting some fishy crackers at church/school and baked goods full of dairy from MIL.

Since she added everything back to her diet, her sleep has been more disrupted again (she's complaining of leg aches when she wakes up).

I thought it would be easier just to take a break for the holidays but now it's hard to decide what we need to go back to avoiding and what is OK for her to have ... so basically we're back to square one.

In the meantime, Z has started solids and his face broke out in a rash the other day so I need to track down exactly what caused that (avocado? dairy in my coffee creamer?)

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pearl In Oyster For This Useful Post:
Stiina (01-09-2013)