Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public* > GD Info and FAQs *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

GD Info and FAQs *Public* The new home for most of the GD stickies. :)

Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #181
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: s/o parenting self-talk

Oh, ok, when *I* say it and just keep going, it eventually (I am totally not kidding) comes out to "and I'm hungry and I'm tired"...and that always makes me laugh because it's so primal and fixable.
Maggirayne (03-19-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:33 AM   #182
raquel

Subbing....this has given me sooo much to think/chew over and I want to come back for more.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:16 AM   #183
simplegirl
Rose Garden

She's a good girl, loves her Mama, loves Jesus, and Kentucky too

simplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond reputesimplegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I remember being frustrated because I would be so incredibly upset and there was no acceptable way to express my anger. I couldn't talk, that was backtalking, couldn't stomp, that was defiance, etc, etc. So I would glare, which doesn't look nearly as fierce as I thought and stare at my mom's forehead and avoid eye contact.
YES! This is how I felt too

Does anyone else find it very sad that so many of us are dealing with this?
Coleman 2007
Josie 2018
simplegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simplegirl For This Useful Post:
DancingWithElves (03-19-2010), jmom1984 (07-20-2011), Maggirayne (03-19-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #184
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfire16 View Post
Saying that stuff just makes me angry though. I feel like a victim and then I feel weak and weakness is not acceptable, so I get mad at myself for being weak and even madder at whoever I imagine to be persecuting me.
then keep talking in the moment
keep on: "... and now that i said this, i feel like such a pathetic weakling and very angry. and i understand that this is not healthy, and i am safe in this place to be weak, people around me will love me when i am weak, God loves me in my weakness" .... i love the song that says: "all my weaknesses made perfect in his unending love"

and i didn't at all wanted to give you an impression that someone has to be my level of screwed-uppedness to experience these things

certainly, being raised by Dobson, and subtle emotional/spiritual abuse, all that is more than enough to create such response
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (03-19-2010), saturnfire16 (03-20-2010)
Old 03-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #185
Pearl In Oyster
Rose Garden

growing every day

Pearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond reputePearl In Oyster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
...I'm a horrible wife/mother because of my dirty house ...
When I find myself thinking in this all or nothing way I definitely get more on edge, and I find it helpful to say out loud something less condemning and more helpful. How would I speak to a friend who was saying those things about herself? Then I say those kind words to myself.

"I feel like a horrible wife/mother/person because of XYZ, but XYZ doesn't define me as a wife/mother/person. I'm God's loved child who makes mistakes." Or something like that. It sounds so corny but it really does help. That is, when I remember to do it!

Celebrating resurrection life after a heart transplant on 2/21/15!

Married since 8/28/04 to a big Bear
Mama to sweet & spirited Charlotte , born 9/08, determined & imaginative Zachary , born 6/12, one I'll see in heaven 10/10, and easy-going Elliott , born 4/14!
Pearl In Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pearl In Oyster For This Useful Post:
Herbwifemama (03-19-2010), hopeforchange (03-19-2010), Maggirayne (03-19-2010), passionatemom (03-23-2010), saturnfire16 (03-20-2010), simplegirl (03-19-2010), TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2010, 03:36 AM   #186
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

We had a youth group meeting once where the leader asked us to write down our virtues and vices (I don't think that was the words he used, but you know what I mean). I think we all wrote down more vices than virtues. The leader pointed out that we have a tendency to expect near perfection of our virtues before we'll acknowledge them. That is, we won't call ourselves 'patient' unless we are almost NEVER impatient. I'm lazy unless I'm doing something useful every.single.waking.second; I'm not humble if I ever feel the least skerrick of pride; I'm not a gentle mum because I often yell at my kids... etc, etc

It can be helpful, I find, to remind myself of how much I do, how much patience I show, how I'm growing in gentleness etc. It helps me be patient with myself, which gives me a little more patience with others.
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
hopeforchange (03-20-2010), jmom1984 (07-20-2011), Luciola (06-03-2013), mamahammer (03-20-2010), Pearl In Oyster (03-20-2010), saturnfire16 (03-20-2010), simplegirl (03-20-2010), thomer (03-20-2010), Vicki_T (03-20-2010)
Old 03-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #187
passionatemom
Rose Bouquet

I am a work in progress.

passionatemom is just really nicepassionatemom is just really nicepassionatemom is just really nicepassionatemom is just really nicepassionatemom is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierdsmama View Post
When I find myself thinking in this all or nothing way I definitely get more on edge, and I find it helpful to say out loud something less condemning and more helpful. How would I speak to a friend who was saying those things about herself? Then I say those kind words to myself.

"I feel like a horrible wife/mother/person because of XYZ, but XYZ doesn't define me as a wife/mother/person. I'm God's loved child who makes mistakes." Or something like that. It sounds so corny but it really does help. That is, when I remember to do it!
I think this kind of thing virtually every day! Thank you for the simple script.

It doesn't help that I live in a basement apartment at my MIL's house, and she keeps things spotless and fancy. I think much of what she does is fussy and unnecessary, but I still often measure myself by what I think she thinks. My mom kept a rather cluttered house, but I always knew that "normal" people didn't live that way. Hello, my mom is a real person, who valued relationships over a clean house! I want to be that person. (Not that MIL doesn't value relationships, she just goes about it a different way . . . )

And my husband is very tolerant and doesn't mention my housekeeping habits often. But I know that having grown up in a perfectionist cleaner's house he would prefer things to be tidy. I don't need him to complain about it, I can use my imagination to voice his expectations. Isn't that silly? I'm making it up.

I'm a perfectionist as well, but a different kind. I'm reading some of Dr. Kevin Lehman's stuff right now about parenting. He says that for a perfectionist child to be criticized often (I was) can lead to their just giving up trying.

So I have these high expectations, that I'm imagining others have of me, then I have the fact that I don't feel capable of living up to them, and sometimes I get so discouraged and overwhelmed that I can't do anything. Why bother, when it won't be good enough?

I also have recently realized I have fear of success, even at little things. If I have things planned so that I will be able to do an adequate job and succeed at it, my perfectionist voice comes in and says, "ooh, why don't you add this, or change that, to make it better!" and then it becomes more than I can reasonably achieve, and the task I should have succeeded at becomes a perceived failure. I did this the other night over cooking boxed mac'n'cheese and hot dogs for dinner! Had to change something in the middle of cooking, then it wasn't done on time, and poof, I felt terrible.

Oh, and re-reading this, I thought, this is just the kind of thing we're trying to avoid in our kids when we refrain from praising them saying things like "good girl, you did XYZ" because they will think they are only a good girl when they do XYZ, and therefore, a bad girl when they don't.

Wow, as usual, I had a lot to say .

PS. I love this thread!!!

We homeschool, cosleep, and do "extended" breastfeeding

Wife to Dan since 6/04
Mama to Emmett 12/2007, ASD, SPD, just as passionate as his Mama!
And Jasper 5/2011, self-appointed "ball" boy (small ) Jasper is a mix of spunk and mellowness.

INTP - "I should infinitely prefer a book." - Pride and Prejudice
passionatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passionatemom For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (03-23-2010), TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2013)
Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #188
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

this as I need to re-read it a couple more times after an awful day today.

And I'm hoping someone else might need a reminder to do this too so I won't feel so alone.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
Tasmanian Saint (06-16-2010), The Tickle Momster (06-12-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 12:13 AM   #189
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-EyedLady View Post
this as I need to re-read it a couple more times after an awful day today.

And I'm hoping someone else might need a reminder to do this too so I won't feel so alone.
I'm looking for self-talk ideas for when they make a mess, if anyone can help me there?

Married to Pete
Mum to Rachel (15)
Elizabeth (12)
and Elijah (9)
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #190
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki_T View Post
I'm looking for self-talk ideas for when they make a mess, if anyone can help me there?
I thought an example was in here but may be not. Something like:

I am so upset that they made a mess. I feel like no one cares about me, like I am left to do everything, they get to have fun while I"m stuck with the work, no one cares that I like a clean house, I feel ignored..........." eventually you'll say something that strikes a chord with you like with me "I'm hungry and tired" .
Vicki_T (06-11-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #191
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
I thought an example was in here but may be not. Something like:

I am so upset that they made a mess. I feel like no one cares about me, like I am left to do everything, they get to have fun while I"m stuck with the work, no one cares that I like a clean house, I feel ignored..........." eventually you'll say something that strikes a chord with you like with me "I'm hungry and tired" .
I hadn't searched through this thread I should.

Married to Pete
Mum to Rachel (15)
Elizabeth (12)
and Elijah (9)
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #192
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh, I won't talk about how I feel right now. I'm so stressed trying to pack and I go to do one thing and have to do, sigh (A just knocked a moslty empty shelf off the bookcase) and DH just asked if there was anything besides stress in life. E keeps pulling stuff out of tubs that's packed including finding Christmas presents while I'm on the phone with the sellers, so now I can't recall who picks up the garbage, and I'll have to call back andi'll look dumb and waaaaah, will someone come pack and clean and cook supper for me?

And I've yelled at E and smacked her when she dumped the bathroom garbage complete with poopy wipes out earlier today. And she took apart my already partly broken drying rack, I swear, she's obsessed with the stupid thing, and I know she's just three. I'm just tired!

I want to go hide in the bathtub, which never works because both of them insist on getting in with me and crawling on me and pushing each other and I end up madder instead of relaxed, and I'm getting mad just thinking about it.

And, I don't have time to relax because I didn't get anything done. Umm, yeah. I need some good scripts. And a baby who quit pinching my nipples would be nice too.
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
ShepherdsWife (10-17-2013)
Old 06-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #193
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

i'm a mess today too, so i'll let someone else respond, but just hugs and sympathy
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DancingWithElves For This Useful Post:
Maggirayne (06-11-2010)
The Following User Says they are praying for DancingWithElves:
Maggirayne (06-11-2010)
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #194
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

It's also ok to look in the mirror and say "some days suck. His love is new every morning. Great is His faithfulness"

I took a tub bath *alone* most days even when that meant that the children sat and pounded on the locked door. It's ok to have boundaries. Happy is not the only acceptable emotion. After about ten days of the mommy-alone bath routine, they get used to it.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
Aisling (06-14-2010), Elora (07-03-2012), gdzprncess (05-16-2011), jmom1984 (07-20-2011), Luciola (06-03-2013), marigold (06-14-2010), Pearl In Oyster (03-23-2011), ShepherdsWife (06-03-2013), TenderLovingWillow (01-20-2013), The Tickle Momster (06-13-2010), thrillofhope (10-14-2013)
Old 03-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #195
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

I had to search for this--it still isn't stickied.
Grace is not a destination, it's a journey.
I first learned to show grace to my child that was not shown to me, then I learned to accept it for myself, and only recently have I been able to have grace for others more.
~Sweetpeasmommy
A
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
L-Boogie (03-24-2011), Tasmanian Saint (03-23-2011)